This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've nearly got it Robert.

I found a YouTube video online that explains how to change the boot order on your laptop. Basically, you need to press Enter on the "Boot" line above (it's not the "Network Boot" that needs to be changed). Another way is to press the F12 key when the laptop is booting to bring up a boot preference dialog.

Look at this video and at 2:04 he has the "Boot Priority Order" dialog which is what you need to change.

At this stage I would just leave the USB drive as it is as Qqmike has pretty much confirmed that the USB drive should be OK (although it seems weird to me that it doesn't show a partition table). Just see if you can get it to boot once you get the BIOS boot order sorted out. If it fails to boot then maybe you need to try rewriting the ISO. I wouldn't bother "zeroing" it myself.

Hope this helps.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I have a ThinkPad.

Disable quick boot to see a verbose boot screen.

Hit f12 (or f11 or f9) during the boot screen and a menu should pop up. Then select your device

If that doesn't work, we can manually change the boot order from within Ubuntu.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

It looks like you will get there soon! I don't disagree with any of the above. You are booting in UEFI mode, and the output of efibootmgr is expected. So these guys are helping to get you a boot menu, right? Let me just mention this: You will want to boot the USB flash drive in UEFI mode, not in a legacy mode--assuming you are given a choice. Like it says here:

Boot the Kubuntu installer in UEFI mode: With the DVD/USB installer, reboot the PC, enter the computer's UEFI setup by pressing the correct key for your computer. Find the boot menu (or boot override menu) where the bootable devices are listed. Choose the one that corresponds to the Kubuntu UEFI DVD or USB (it may also show up as a "normal" DVD/USB choice). Look for UEFI /(FAT) or a reference to UEFI. (Example: a DVD may appear as "UEFI (FAT) TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB (1028 MB)") Select the UEFI DVD or USB option from the firmware boot menu and boot up with it. Now proceed as you usually do to install Kubuntu. If asked where to install GRUB boot-loader, simply choose sda (it won't really matter as the installer will automatically identify and use the proper ESP (EFI System Partition)).
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379977
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

(For now, Robert, please disregard the post I am about to make here. It addresses some of the technical loose ends from above.) Rod J, others, regarding using dd to zero-out a contaminated flash drive (in my case, it had GPT artifacts), and on the partitioning issue when using dd ... this link discusses all of this and a bit more, thanks to Steve Riley. Please read at least the top three posts on it, mine and Steve Riley's. If anyone cares to investigate issues further and make them more precise, we'd all be interested, I'm sure -- and that, of course, should be done in a separate, new thread. First few posts of this, for now:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post370698

(Thanks, Robert, for tolerating all these side comments ...)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Good evening everyone (at least in Switzerland it's 11:57 PM)!

Thanks a lot for all the help you provided me with.

I followed the steps that were presented in the youtube video indicated by Rod J and it worked! I managed to boot kubuntu from the usb stick! Then I turned off my computer and booted Windows 10 and followed the steps indicated in this tutorial in order to decrease Windows' partition's size:

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/201...ake-space.html

and it looks like it worked:

Click image for larger version

Name:	KDE_partition_manager_02.02.18.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	643749

Now I guess I need to do what mr_raider and Snowhog advised me (keeping their numbering):

4. Turn the swap off by right clicking swap.

5. Delete the swap partition.

6 Move the Linux partition in question to the left and then extend the Linux partition to the right.

7. Re create the swap partition

8. Obtain the swap partitions new UUID with

sudo blkid

9. Edit the file /etc/fstab and change the swap file UUID.

I have several questions concerning this procedure:

a) What does that mean ``Turn the swap off"? Is it ``Deactivate swap" (option available in KDE partition manager after right-clicking on the swap partition). Why do we do that?
            b) How do I ``move the partition to the left"? Is it only possible with a partition which has some unallocated space on its left? Because I was curious and I right clicked on the windows partition (in KDE partition manager) and looked at the option offered once I choose ``resize/move" and it looked like I could only resized it (which of course I didn't do).

Thanks again for all your help!

Best

Comment

Originally posted by Robert24 View Post

I have several questions concerning this procedure:

a) What does that mean ``Turn the swap off"? Is it ``Deactivate swap" (option available in KDE partition manager after right-clicking on the swap partition). Why do we do that?
              yes it's "Deactivate swap" you do this because you cant manipulate a partition that's in use ,,,the live usb is using it.

b) How do I ``move the partition to the left"? Is it only possible with a partition which has some unallocated space on its left? Because I was curious and I right clicked on the windows partition (in KDE partition manager) and looked at the option offered once I choose ``resize/move" and it looked like I could only resized it (which of course I didn't do).
              again yes ,,you can only resize/move when their is unallocated space next to the partition being resized/moved and you will "move" the kubuntu partition to the left then "resize" it to the right after getting the swap partition out of the way by deleting it , when you "resize" the Kubuntu partition to the right after "moving" it to the left make sure you leave room for you to remake your swap partition on the right side of the kubuntu partition ,,,,,,if you still want to have a swap partition when this is all done .

when you do #9 you will be editing the fstab in the kubuntu partition ,,,not the one in the live usb

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks a lot for these precisions Vinnywright, I really appreciate your help.

I will try to do this and I hope I won't wipe out my system. I did back-ups but it would be very tedious to have to reinstall everything.

Best

Comment

(Sorry in advance for the poor punctuation, I don t have the swiss keyboard on this usb live key partition and I don t know where are the symbols)

Ok, I did 4 and 5 but now I have to do 6, i.e. move the Linux partition in question to the left and then extend the Linux partition to the right, but I m not sure about the procedure. Here is a print screen of my KDE partition manager

Name:	KDE-partition-manager-swap-deleted.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	643752

But then what should I do to move the partition? Here is the window that I get when I press on "resize/move partition"

Name:	moving?linux partition to the right.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	643751

Should I put 0 free space BEFORE and 149,374.00 MiB free space AFTER (so basically invert the space), and leave size untouched? Or should I change this first sector and last sector? I don t know what they represent.

Also when am I right to believe that I will recreate the swap partition TO THE RIGHT of Linux eventhough it was on its left before?

Thanks a lot for the support.

Best

Comment

Leave the end as is. Lower the before to a number equal to your swap same as, i.e. 16000

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

ok in this video you will see a similar situation,,,,,it's on a usb stick but the procedure is the same ,,,to the left a fat32 partition in the middle ,,unallocated space to the right the partition we want to move then resize and lastly create a linux swap partition to the right of the ext4 one we moved and resized ,,,,this can all happen in the same procedure .

you will want to watch the "free space after" counters on the resizeing of the ext4 to the right and leave 14,000Mb (14GB) if thats what you want for the swap partition .

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Thanks for your answer mr_raider but I didn t really understand it.
                        If I lower the "Free space before", isn t like extending the partition to the left? What s the difference with moving it to the left? Also why should we put the swap partition on the left of the linux partition and not on its right? Is it always on the left?

Comment

In moving a partition (to the left), you are telling the partition manager to have zero free space before and leaving the size of the partition alone. This is how it gets moved. Resizing a partition means you are reducing the existing size, and that is always done from the right end.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for you to the tree of you Snowhog, Vinnywright and mr_raider.

I just realized while looking at the video of Vinnywright that we could move these partitions by dragging them with the mouse!

There s just one question remaining for me: should I create the swap partition on the left or on the right of the linux partition? Does it matter? The answer of mr_raider seems to indicate that I should create it on the left, but in the video they do it on the right.

Comment

Positioning of the swap partition is where you want it. Some like it as the first partition; others as the last. It's simply a choice,
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just realized while looking at the video of Vinnywright that we could move these partitions by dragging them with the mouse!

There s just one question remaining for me: should I create the swap partition on the left or on the right of the linux partition? Does it matter? The answer of mr_raider seems to indicate that I should create it on the left, but in the video they do it on the right.
                                that is why I gave you a vid ,,,,to show how easy it can be and that you can do all the steps ,,and then apply the list of operations .

the swap can be anywhere you want it dose not mater ,,,the suggestions were just to make it simpler.

VINNY
                                16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                                X