This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Utilities] Send SMS with KDE Connect

Hi all,Fairly new to Kubuntu. In the past I have used Airdroid to communicate my pc with my android phone. It has been highly reliable, but can't get my head around KDE Connect.I just paired my phone with KDE connect and while I can see notifications, transfer files and send a ping to my phone how on earth do you compose/send a new sms?I simply can't figure this out!

When I get an incoming text, it offers my the option to reply on my desktop. There doesn't seem to be a way to initiate an SMS message with the Plasma app, which I don't understand because you can from Ubuntu. You can try installing this:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/01/k...ubuntu-desktop

I did and it seems to work fine, although I've barely tested it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      When I get an incoming text, it offers my the option to reply on my desktop. There doesn't seem to be a way to initiate an SMS message with the Plasma app, which I don't understand because you can from Ubuntu. You can try installing this:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/01/k...ubuntu-desktop

I did and it seems to work fine, although I've barely tested it.
      Ok thanks for that. It seems that Pushbullet is still the way to go. Rave reviews on KDE connect, but I can't see what is so great about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Pee Wee View Post
        Ok thanks for that. It seems that Pushbullet is still the way to go. Rave reviews on KDE connect, but I can't see what is so great about it!
        Agreed. I would love to have proper KDe integration and a full feature set. Fingers crossed...

Please Read Me

Comment

There is no UI for this yet, but it is possible to do this......from the command-line:
          https://clivejo.com/using-kde-connec...d-receive-sms/

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            There is no UI for this yet, but it is possible to do this...from the command-line:
            https://clivejo.com/using-kde-connec...d-receive-sms/
            You'd have to be insane to prefer a terminal to compose sms's instead of using a nice gui like Pushbullet, Air droid, MySms, list goes on...

Comment

Originally posted by Pee Wee View Post
              You'd have to be insane to prefer a terminal to compose sms's instead of using a nice gui like Pushbullet, Air droid, MySms, list goes on...
              Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              There is no UI for this yet, ...
              Insane would be refusing to use an alternate method to accomplish a task when the desired means (a GUI) to do so has not yet been created.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Insane would be refusing to use an alternate method to accomplish a task when the desired means (a GUI) to do so has not yet been created.
                Insane would be getting out of bed to actually reach for the phone and type out the message directly

Comment

I'm not sure either course rises to the level of insanity.

Hyperbole aside, indicator-kdeconnect seems to work just fine. Although, I think for any SMS-from-the-desktop to be really useful, it would have to contain the ability to access one's address book or contacts somehow. Who remembers phone numbers these days? Certainly not me.

Please Read Me

Comment

I just did a little reading and it turns out indicator-kdeconnect DOES have contact availability. I had to click on the swirly arrow icon, allow permission for the app to access my google contacts, and voila! Now when I begin typing a name or number, it shows a list from my contacts that I can pick from. Awesome - and not insane

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      I just did a little reading and it turns out indicator-kdeconnect DOES have contact availability. I had to click on the swirly arrow icon, allow permission for the app to access my google contacts, and voila! Now when I begin typing a name or number, it shows a list from my contacts that I can pick from. Awesome - and not insane
                      Clearly we are using different software then because I have enable permissions for everything on both ends, and whille paired all I can see are notifications and the ability to view and integrate folders...
                      Maybe you can point me to this reading reference because there is no swirly icon.

I have just installed the app and the linux application via the terminal... so yeah I think it's the latest software on my end.

Comment

You haven't told us which version of Kubuntu you are running.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          You haven't told us which version of Kubuntu you are running.
                          I'm using 17.10

Comment

You need the software that was linked in the first reply from https://github.com/Bajoja/indicator-kdeconnect/releases. The KDE "KDE connect" doesn't have all the features in the GUI that this one designed for regular ubuntu has.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                              You need the software that was linked in the first reply from https://github.com/Bajoja/indicator-kdeconnect/releases. The KDE "KDE connect" doesn't have all the features in the GUI that this one designed for regular ubuntu has.
                              Precisely. I have both of these installed:
                              Code:
                              indicator-kdeconnect 0.9.3-1~webupd8~xenial0   amd64        Indicator for KDE Connect
                              kdeconnect 1.2-0neon+16.04+xenial+build28      amd64        connect smartphones to your KDE Plasma Workspace
                              I currently have both of their icons in my systray too. Since this is an experiment, I'm ok with that for the time being. I have had a couple instances where indicator-kdeconnect did not show up after starting it and had to kill it and re-launch it again. Also, last time I logged in it did not autostart correctly. Both of these issues might be related to the two apps fighting over the phone.
                              Last edited by oshunluvr; Nov 30, 2017, 07:28 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X