Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to what I read, that drive is finicky about media and will not r/w DVD-R DL at all. You'll have to either experiment with different brands and types or buy a better drive.

Please Read Me

Comment

How are you arriving at these conclusions?

I read capability to include DVD-R.

What is/where is DL?

I am just looking at the end of the DVD drive. It has printed: DVD R/RW and DVD Rewritable
      Last edited by anonprivate; Dec 30, 2016, 08:37 AM.
      kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post

Where is DL?
        Google "dell optical drive GSA-H31N". See lots of hits, with useful information:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...iverId=R247002

http://www.dell.com/support/article/...1/SLN284172/EN

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/dell-x...view-2286.html (this one shows that it is +R -R capable)

Now google "dell optical drive GSA-H31N won't write", and see some Dell troubleshooting guidance:

http://www.dell.com/Support/Article/us/en/04/SLN284172

http://www.dell.com/support/article/...1/SLN116383/HE

Comment

What is/where is DL?

I am just looking at the end of the DVD drive. It has printed: DVD R/RW and DVD Rewritable
          From the E520 Manual

Code:
          Blank DVD+/-Rs can be used to permanently store [FONT=serif]large amounts of information. After you create a [/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]DVD+/-R disc, you may not be able to [/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]write to that disc again if the disc[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif] is "finalized" or "closed" during [/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]the final stage of the disc creation process. Use bl[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]ank DVD+/-RWs if you plan to erase, rewrite, or [/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]update information on that disc later.[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]CD-Writable Drives[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]DVD-Writable Drives[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]Helpful Tips[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]•  Use Microsoft[/FONT]
          [FONT=monospace]®[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif] Windows[/FONT]
          [FONT=monospace]®[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif] Explorer to drag and drop files to [/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]a CD-R or CD-RW only after you start [/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]Sonic DigitalMedia and open[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif] a DigitalMedia project.[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]•  Use CD-Rs to burn music CDs that you want to pl[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]ay in regular stereos. CD-RWs do not play in most [/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]home or car stereos.[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]•  You cannot create audio DVDs with Sonic DigitalMedia.[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]•  Music MP3 files can be played only on MP3 players [/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]or on computers that have MP3 software installed. [/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]•  Commercially available DVD players used in home [/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]theater systems may not support all available DVD [/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]formats. For a list of formats supported by your DV[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]D player, see the documentation provided with your [/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]DVD player or contact the manufacturer.[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]•  Do not burn a blank CD-R or CD-RW to its maxi[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]mum capacity; for example, do not copy a 650-MB [/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]file to a blank 650-MB CD. The CD-RW drive need[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]s 1–2 MB of the blank space to finalize the [/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]recording. 

[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]Media Type[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]Read[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]Write[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]Rewritable[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]CD-R[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]No[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]CD-RW[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]Media Type[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]Read[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]Write[/FONT]
          [FONT=sans-serif]Rewritable[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]CD-R[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]No[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]CD-RW[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]DVD+R[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]No[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]DVD-R[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]No[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]DVD+RW[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]DVD-RW[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]DVD+R DL[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]Yes[/FONT]
          [FONT=serif]No[/FONT]
          This has not pasted well. But it looks like most DVD media are supported, but makes of media are not discussed. If I take the advice to ignore rewritable I have the choice of DVD +r, DVD-R, and DVD +R DL (never heard of the last option)

Comment

fwiw, I'm using Verbatim (brand): DVD+R
            Seems to be kind of randomly chosen "generic" choice.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Seems like you can simply ignore (for now) dual layer disks (DL),
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R_DL

Just play it safe, generic.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

The DVD's tend to be branded, as an example, Verbatim, as you mention. What do you mean by generic (unbranded?)?

As for DL, according to the data I gave above, these should be fine for reading and writing, but not for re-writing. I have been advised to avoid the rewritable media.

I am not sure which of these (DVD +r, DVD-R,) would likely be the best choice for me, and the make?; although you advise generic. I don't think I have seen any unbranded DVD's. I tend to buy well know makes because they have a reputation to maintain.

It does appear that the media is an important factor in the burning (format and make)

I will have a look at your wikipedia link.

Happy New Year
                Last edited by anonprivate; Dec 30, 2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Seems to be kind of randomly chosen "generic" choice.
                  Oops, bad choice of words there. I mean just go with a standard choice, like the +R format. I buy brand names, for some reason (what really counts is the factory they are made at). So, yes, Verbatim is a good choice. Then a simple format, like +R.

Comment

@anonprivate:

OK, I'll throw a "spanner in the works" and suggest forgetting about trying to create bootable DVD's (as that seems to be what you have been trying to do) and just buy a cheap USB flash drive (at least 4Gb, you may already have one or two) and use Unetbootin or similar to 'burn' the ISO images onto that. I think most of us here use USB flash drives in preference to creating bootable CD/DVD's and they run faster than DVD's in a live boot session anyway. My
                    Last edited by Rod J; Dec 31, 2016, 01:47 AM.
                    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Rod J: OK, I'll throw a spanner in the works and suggest...
                      ... and if so, you can also use the dd command to create a bootable USB flash drive, along the lines of my
                      Building a Kubuntu live USB flash drive installer using dd
                      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...712#post378712

(just be careful as noted in the Caution there)

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                        I think your problem is more likely to be hardware related. How old is your CD/DVD burner? They are so cheap nowadays and they just aren't designed to last that long. Also, they can be quite "picky" about which disk brands they work best with.
                        I will experiment with some media. The debate seems to be concerned with DVD -r and DVD +r for non-rewritable media

Bearing in mind that the manual for my machine states that I should be able to burn to rewritable media. I am wondering how much weight I can ascribe to the official documentation! I know, experimentation is key. Regarding manufactures of media. I assumed that it is the format that is of importance, but some people have cautioned regarding different manufactures!

Comment

There's a lot sites like this, comparing +R to -R:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/DVD%2BR_vs_DVD-R

Comment

'Memory: 634.4/998.2MB'

I know I have about 1GB of RAM, but what does 634.4 refer to?
                            Comparing the output of inxi -I and free -h on my system,
                            Code:
                            $ inxi -I
                            Info:      Processes: 295 Uptime: 4:54 Memory: 2411.8/15905.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.1 
                            $ free -m
                                      total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
                            Mem:          15904        2177       10100         218        3627       13175
                            the first figure (2411) is about what free says for used + shared, so I expect that "634" is your memory used figure. (Note that the rest, 998 less 634, will be used as cache, that doesn't count as "used".)

IME with only 1 GB Kubuntu struggles if you run something heavy, like a browser with several tabs. I did that for a while about 5 years ago after some hardware failures. OTOH, a lightweight distro like Lubuntu is fine, if not as functional and pretty as Kubuntu.
                            Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                            X