This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a good burner

I have k3b installed under kubuntu ver 14.04.5.

For some reason it does not burn. Evidently, from another thread, this is due to a rare problem associated with the kernel, and can be rectified by fitting a usb burner (noted by a couple of people in Germany). I would prefer a software solution would like to consider alternatives. The burner should be capable of erasing RW DVD's and of burning software, eg.,iso files. I have also had bad experiences with Brassero.

Can you list some burners that I can try?

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

The problem description is curious (and vague), and so is your theory that switching software will fix it. If it is correct that the kernel is the source of the problem, which I'm skeptical about, then you could install a different kernel version and have success, unless the problem is with all Linux kernels.

As for alternative burning software, there is cdrecord at the command line.

Some GUI packages for burning are listed here.

More useful information is here.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
      The problem description is curious (and vague), and so is your theory that switching software will fix it. If it is correct that the kernel is the source of the problem, which I'm skeptical about, then you could install a different kernel version and have success, unless the problem is with all Linux kernels.

How can I check the kernal version and type installed on my pc. Where can I obtain more up to date kernels, and how are they installed?

Comment

Install
        inxi
        and run the command
        inxi -Fxxx
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

You do not need to install anything,
          System Settings / About System
          will give you the information you need.

Click image for larger version

Name:	about system.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	643438

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
            For some reason it does not burn ... I have also had bad experiences with Brassero.
            I think your problem is more likely to be hardware related. How old is your CD/DVD burner? They are so cheap nowadays and they just aren't designed to last that long. Also, they can be quite "picky" about which disk brands they work best with.
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Danum View Post
              You do not need to install anything,
              System Settings / About System
              will give you the information you need.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6871[/ATTACH]
              Thank you.

The kernel is 4.4.0-57-generic

Although I don't need to install anything to check the kernel version, I have had a look at inxi (as suggested by Qqmike) and it looks like a useful programme to have installed
              Last edited by anonprivate; Dec 27, 2016, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                I think your problem is more likely to be hardware related. How old is your CD/DVD burner? They are so cheap nowadays and they just aren't designed to last that long. Also, they can be quite "picky" about which disk brands they work best with.
                The DVD drive is the original. I bought the System in about 2007/2008 - about eight years ago. It seems to work well, except when I try to burn or erase

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  Install
                  inxi
                  and run the command
                  inxi -Fxxx
                  I think this looks like a useful addition

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post

Do you think that the problems that I am experiencing could be explained by my using an eight year old burner? The system is eight years old.

Comment

I'm also using the latest version of Kubuntu 14.04, and I use K3b without problems, sometimes on an older system (2009 PC), sometimes on my 2015 PC.

Just to be sure about this ... when you open K3b, you see the Welcome screen, and then you must select the bar that says "More actions ...", and then you select the Burn Image option. (I want to make sure you are not trying to do a simply "copy" but instead are selecting the "burn" option.)
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm also using the latest version of Kubuntu 14.04, and I use K3b without problems, sometimes on an older system (2009 PC), sometimes on my 2015 PC.

Just to be sure about this ... when you open K3b, you see the Welcome screen, and then you must select the bar that says "More actions ...", and then you select the Burn Image option. (I want to make sure you are not trying to do a simply "copy" but instead are selecting the "burn" option.)
                        I am using version 2.0.2. Is this your version?

Comment

Yep,

K3b
                          Version 2.0.2
                          Using KDE Development Platform 4.13.3

Comment

Yep,
                            How old is your burner? mine is about 8 years old, and wonder if this factor could account for my lack of success?

Comment

How old is your burner? mine is about 8 years old, and wonder if this factor could account for my lack of success?
                              One of the burners is 7 years, one is just 1 year old. As Rod J said, this could likely be a hardware issue. As you know, CD/DVD drives are commodity (generic) items now, not expensive, so you could try changing yours out. Not that it matters, but out of chicken stupidstition, I try to get something like a Samsung.
                              Like,
                              https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SH-22...+drive+samsung

Comment

Working...
                              X