X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound

Hello,

I just installed Kubuntu 16.04 and the sound does not work. Any help/advice is most welcomed.

Open the terminal.
    Type 'alsamixer' in terminal and press return. You should see a display of audio system info.
    You can enable/disable/control the sound from here. You will get an idea of whether anything needs to be enabled.

Comment

I've done that, everything is enabled and still nothing.

Comment

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...W-GUY-lt-lt-lt

Please Read Me

Comment

Kubuntu 16.04
          Laptop(lenovo Thinkpad x240), no other OS just Kubuntu.

Any sound settings I can give please just let me know.

Comment

This helped me

https://neanderslob.com/2016/04/21/k...s-not-working/

Comment

OK, I tried a few fixes and I am now seeing a useful error message. In my top taskbar for the volume icon when I click it it says...

"Error loading Applet: package inexistent. Could not find requested component: org.kde.plasma.volume"

How can I install this?

Comment

Originally posted by pjbtoo View Post
                OK, I tried a few fixes and I am now seeing a useful error message. In my top taskbar for the volume icon when I click it it says...

"Error loading Applet: package inexistent. Could not find requested component: org.kde.plasma.volume"

How can I install this?
                you are going to need to tell us what you did with your "few fixes" ,,,,if their rely is no /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.volume

we have work to do .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I added these 2 lines to the end of file...

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
                  # Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
                  options snd-usb-audio index=-2
                  options snd-hda-intel model=generic

I have commented them lines out now as they were not doing anything.

I removed the .pulsh folder in home directory as suggested in above link by wartnose. https://neanderslob.com/2016/04/21/k...s-not-working/

Comment

I no longer get the "Error loading Applet: package inexistent. Could not find requested component: org.kde.plasma.volume" error. I can see all the volume controls in the sound widget.

I also installed "kubuntu-desktop" from package manager and did a reboot.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160815_114358.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	643273

I have a red "X" beside volume icon on the right, as if it is muted. Clicking it does not change it.

Comment

good now go to the audio video section (see it on the left) and be sure the device you want is selected as the default device for sound in the playback tab, and on the device configuration tab be sure its set how you want (stero duplex. 5.1 etc..)
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                          good now go to the audio video section (see it on the left) and be sure the device you want is selected as the default device for sound in the playback tab, and on the device configuration tab be sure its set how you want (stero duplex. 5.1 etc..)
                          My volume, which had been working fine after upgrading from 15.10 to 16.04, one day quit working and the little volume icon turned red. I assume one of the updates broke it? I used the link that I previously posted to fix it. There are a few typos in the link so here is what I did:
                          1. Remove directory ~/.config/pulse
                          2. Remove file ~/.config/.kmixrc
                          3. Remove file ~/.config/akonadi/agentsrc
                          4. Remove file ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiconnectionrc
                          5. Remove file ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc

I then rebooted and it worked. I did not have to reinstall pulseaudio. My problem is I don't really know what I did. I do know I backed up before I made the changes.

KDE Plasma 5.5.5. Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial. ASRock H97M-ITX/ac. Intel Core i5-4690K. NVIDIA GM107 GeForce GTX 750 Ti. Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio Controller. NVIDIA Device 0fbc. Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. Samsung_SSD_850.

Comment

Thanks for replies.

@wartnose i deleted steps 1,3,4,5. Step 2 I did not have that folder. I then rebooted but still no sound.

@sithlord48 i click into that section, the only option i can press is "Test" and when i do that no sound is made.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160816_095351.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	643275

Comment

Have you seen/followed the information/instructions contained in SoundTroubleshootingProcedure?
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X