X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code:
    sudo apt-get install yakuake
    Close your existing console window. Now press F12. Win.

Comment

I second that one Steve. First thing I install after the OS.

My tip. use .ssh/config file to set up all of your remote connections, then you can use as many keys as you want, odd ports, odd user names etc.. and all you do is ssh host_name to make it all work.

Comment

Originally posted by pnunn View Post
        My tip. use .ssh/config file to set up all of your remote connections, then you can use as many keys as you want, odd ports, odd user names etc.. and all you do is ssh host_name to make it all work.
        +1 same here. This combined with secure keys makes life much simpler.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          +1 same here. This combined with secure keys makes life much simpler.
          Yep, you taught me this one, I've been using it ever since!

As for the timezones thing, that's got me before. It's really easy to accidentally scroll over the clock and change it by accident!

So, here's mine: one of the first things I noticed about Kubuntu was that the volume didn't go high enough on my hardware. A common solution (and one that Steve suggested) is the Veromix Plasmoid widget.

This works, but doesn't integrate very well with KDE without some tweaking. Instead, edit ~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc and add:

Code:
          VolumeOverdrive=true

--> oomph.

Feathers
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
            [Veromix] works, but doesn't integrate very well with KDE without some tweaking.
            What tweaking do you need to do? Here, other than disabling KMix and enabling Veromix in the system tray, no real tweaking is necessary.

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
            Instead, edit ~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc and add:
            Code:
            VolumeOverdrive=true
            Neat, I didn't know that. But the new KMix still doesn't offer a way to route specific programs to specific audio sinks (output devices), right? That's the more powerful feature of Veromix, I think: better integration with PulseAudio.

Comment

Animated, interactive wallpapers

This is in Tahr.

Right click the desktop.

Default desktop settings.

Wallpaper / animations.

Three are presented, one with animated "Ascii Animals"

Two abstract paintings, one similar to a former default Kubuntu / Kde "bubbles" wallpaper.

They animate automatically and with a click on the desktop.

It does not seem to significantly affect performance.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

thanks

Comment

With Kate you can code scripts easily since detects Bash structures like Vim does and has an option to view the Konsole execution of you´r scripts below.

Comment

To type special characters not on the keyboard like ½, ¼, or æ.

All you need to do is specify your "compose key" in the settings mine is the often unused Scroll Lock.
                    1. Open System Settings and under Hardware choose Input Devices
                    2. Keyboard selected choose the Advanced TAB
                    3. Expand the Compose Key Position
                    4. Select a Key

To use this hit your compose key followed by 1 and then 2 you will type ½ or compose key followed by TM is ™.

For other compose key combos consult page such as this.

Comment

That is NEAT! ½ 4³ and so on! Thanks!
                      In the old days one would have to use hold the ALT key while typing a three decimal equivilent of the hex number on the keypad (not the number row). I think unicode killed that ability.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

2½ ⅓ ⅔
                        Great tip.
                        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                        Always consider Occam's Razor
                        Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                          To type special characters not on the keyboard like ½, ¼, or æ.

All you need to do is specify your "compose key" in the settings mine is the often unused Scroll Lock.
                          1. Open System Settings and under Hardware choose Input Devices
                          2. Keyboard selected choose the Advanced TAB
                          3. Expand the Compose Key Position
                          4. Select a Key

To use this hit your compose key followed by 1 and then 2 you will type ½ or compose key followed by TM is ™.

For other compose key combos consult page such as this.
                          neat ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I usually go with Unicode insertion ¥ ........ ¢..... ctrl+shift+U and use Kcharselect to get the Unicode #'s

☢VINNY☢
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                          X