This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you know that.....?

It is my considered opinion that EVERY SINGLE FORUM MEMBER knows "at least one thing" about the "nuts and bolts" of "Linux" / KDE / Kubuntu / an application / a widget/ something ....that is "kewl to know and maybe do".

ALL forum members are encouraged to post "one thing" that she or he knows, and NOT TO WORRY that..."oh everybody knows this"....because all that one need do is to peruse the threads that wend themselves down into the dungeons and it is quite apparent that....there are a LOT of people who do NOT know what somebody else thinks... is obvious.

To kick off the thread:

Did you know that when you have an ocean of folders in home/ and you are continually having to stare at the ocean of folders and mouse down through them that. to find THAT folder......( I arrange mine by date of interaction so they are always moving around. ...

That...you can pick an often used folder, right click the "outside" of the folder and invoke "properties". Click the "folder icon" and one is presented with a lot of different colours, and different configurations of "folders"?

So, pick BURPLE for "documents" and one can then easily find said folder!

woodveryburplesmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 11, 2014, 04:42 AM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Use the corners and screen edges as hot spots to control the desktop. With Desktop effects enabled and Open GL you can designate screen edges in System Settings>Workspace behavior to manage the desktop. Particularly useful whwn running a guest in VirtualBox full screen to get back to the host without changing the guest View.
    Attached Files
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

Comment

Desktop links or desktop configuration files are simple text documents that can be edited with Kate or any text editor.

For example here is my "Plants vs Zombies" under WINE;

Code:
      [Desktop Entry]
      Exec=wine '/media/drive_c/Popcap Game Collection/Plants vs Zombies/PlantsVsZombies.exe'
      Icon=/home/simon/.gameicons/Plants-Vs-Zombies.png
      Path=/media/drive_c/Popcap Game Collection/Plants vs Zombies
      StartupNotify=true
      Terminal=false
      Type=Application
      X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
      X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=desktop_kdebase
      While one can use properties to alter this information, I find running the text editor much faster.

Comment

By adding a . (dot) to the beginning of a filename / directory name turns it in to a hidden file / directory

Comment

that you do not half to even press ALT+F2 to bring up Krunner , if the desktop has focus (click it once if unsure) , just start typing the name of a program and it will pop up

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            that you do not half to even press ALT+F2 to bring up Krunner , if the desktop has focus (click it once if unsure) , just start typing the name of a program and it will pop up

VINNY
            That is one I did not know.
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Always consider Occam's Razor
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
              That is one I did not know.
              I triped across it in one of those seemingly DuHu moments when I "thought I" I had pressed ALT+F2 and just started typing "muon" ,,,, and then their it was ,showing in Krunner , ,,,,, I thought WoW I have telekinetic powers ,,,,,,further investigation showed it was just a desktop feature ,,,,,, darn

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

That's cool! I didn't know about that either.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ditto!!!! All this time. Cool that is.

Comment

Don't press Alt+F4 unless you want to close all windows! I did this by accident and lost my work. 8/

Comment

I was not planning to post in this thread and let others build it but I just GOTTA post this.

I've used Kontact for years..... but never knew.....

Just discovered it about an hour ago..... In the "week view" of Korganizer( Kcalendar) you have a "block of time" right? Metting on Tuesday from 2pm - 3pm.

Well, for years, if I had to change the time, I deleted and then remade a new time frame at the correct time.

Just for the halibut.........I tried "clicking on the block" and........DRAGGED it to the new time!

WOAH!! I LOVE Kontact!

now back to OTHER people posting!

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

1. You can scroll over the date/time widget in the bottom right corner to change timezones. This is a jokish recommendation based on the insane number of threads caused by this.

2. Holding Ctrl while resizing widgets allows you to override the default aspect ratio if you want to force your plasmoids into a perfect grid!

3. If you enable the independent widget set (Under workspace options) then you can use Ctrl+F12 (changeable) to launch a dashbord. Using this I leave my desktops free of widgets and have the shortcut programmed on my mouse.

4. There is a fantastic KCM for managing cron jobs that is easy to use.

5. There is some great built-in documentation in KDE with a documentation browser which really helps to learn about some of the great built-in features.

6. Kio-Slaves are exceptionally powerful and are worth looking up.

7. Nepomuk is very powerful and when combined with the Nepomuk-webminer and stuff like Nepoogle for search, Bangarang for media or anything else that allows you to truly tap into its power. Nepomuk is ruined by no real interface to access it with. Seriously, the semantic desktop works and it works well. It just isn't very accessible from the start. It requires some learning.

BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP I HAVE IS TO SPEND SOME TIME EXPLORING KDE. IT IS INCREDIBLY POWERFUL AND FEATURE RICH.

Comment

using the scroll wheel over the clock will change timezones . your clock will always have at least two time zones. your timezone and local or your timezone and UTC
                          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            , ,,,,, I thought WoW I have telekinetic powers ,,,,,,
                            I alway knew you were special, Vinny!
                            This feature and the one Woodsmoke posted about folder icons are new to me. (15 years using Linux AND KDE and I still have things to learn!)
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                              using the scroll wheel over the clock will change timezones . your clock will always have at least two time zones. your timezone and local or your timezone and UTC
                              I bet this explains why my clock may change time zones sometimes. There are some really great tips coming into this thread. Thank you to everyone.

I'm not very good at remembering CLI commands if they aren't something I use often. I still don't let that deter me from open a terminal on a frequent basis. When run across a useful command, I copy it into a text file and save it for later use. Copy/pasting into a terminal is a great tool.
                              Linux User #454271

Comment

Working...
                              X