This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: multiple screens

If the length of the panel is the only issue, click the "cashew" at the right end of the panel, choose "unlock widgets", then right-click somewhere on the panel where there's not an icon, choose "panel settings", and use the semi-intuitive graphical tools to re-size it as you wish. When you've got it like you want it, don't forget to "lock widgets", so it doesn't change again.

Comment

Lots of things going on in this thread....

First - using sudo (for use with command line aka terminal commands) or kdesudo (for use with gui programs) is used to give superuser (aka root) status to your admin user for that one instance. Which is not the same as logging in as root user - which is disabled by default in (K)Ubuntu. Logging in as root or using su in a terminal is to be logged in as root and is strongly not recommended. Too easy to bork your system. BTW, when you installed your kubuntu, the first user entered during setup is the default admin user. You can change this later if you need to.

Second - There are many easy ways to determine your hardware; sysinfo in konqueror. lshw, hwinfo, lspci and others in a terminal, KDE Info Center.

Finally - You should remove/delete the offending .nvidia-settings.rc file from the /root directory (using sudo) and from your own home (if you have one) for starters. Then, if you already have the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf - you can delete it and use the sudo nvidia-xconfig to create a new one if you wish. You need not have one at all unless you're attempting a nonstandard setup (like dual monitors).

I agree nvidia-settings isn't the best tool, but it has it's uses. BTW it will tell you which card you have too.

Steps to dual monitors:
      Install the correct latest driver for your video card (Jockey will help determine this).
      Correctly configure xorg for your primary monitor.
      Determine how you wish to use your second monitor (one big desktop, multiple desktops, et.al.)
      Search the web for others using your setup - there are 1000's of dual monitor users out there.
      Backup your working single monitor config and try your dual setup.
      Post on this forum what you've tried and your results.

Please Read Me

Comment

ok, thats worked and i can just set a new wallpaper, i thought this would just hide an underlying problem but now i think about it, i guess it could just be a left over effect of swapping the primary monitor from one to the other?

anyway cheers for all the help - im going to attach the second monitor again now and see how bad it crys :P

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr

Finally - You should remove/delete the offending .nvidia-settings.rc file from the /root directory (using sudo) and from your own home (if you have one) for starters. Then, if you already have the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf - you can delete it and use the sudo nvidia-xconfig to create a new one if you wish. You need not have one at all unless you're attempting a nonstandard setup (like dual monitors).
          just to be clear before i do this, im going to use "sudo rm /root nvidia-settings.rc" ?

or should it be "sudo rm /root/.nvidia-settings-rc" ?

Comment

Close---

Code:
            sudo rm /root/.nvidia-settings-rc
            or if you're unsure about deleting it

Code:
            sudo mv /root/.nvidia-settings-rc /root/nvidia-settings-rc.old

Please Read Me

Comment

hmm, apparently there si no such file

Comment

hmm, well i pluged the second back in and set it up with nvidia settings, which required a x restart so i stoped and started kdm, however this time when i restarted it, rather than loading kdm i got a nvidia beta version splash screen for ages, then screen went black for ages, then the splash screen again. I had to reboot to get back into the desktop

Comment

i dont think kde4 supports multiple x screens, cant even get twin view to work but bugger it :P - thanks for all the help, iv got my 1 screen working ok again and that will have to suffice until they update tho it looks like its been an issue over several versions. Might just buy windows :-X

Comment

Originally posted by adrianm

this time when i restarted it, rather than loading kdm i got a nvidia beta version splash screen for ages, then screen went black for ages, then the splash screen again. I had to reboot to get back into the desktop
                    Something at the hardware level isn't happy, sounds like. A custom-tweaked xorg.conf file probably would overcome the failure to autodetect the hardware correctly, but figuring that out might indeed not be worth your time.

Comment

I just got around to getting back into linux... i havent since redhat was the bees knees, so ive beyond rusty. i had a live usb that in installed on a separate partition, then upgraded to 10.10. Everythings good so far, except obviously, the video. while after doing the auto driver feature and installing the nvidia enhanced thing, the resolution when up, but text isnt crisp (kinda blurry side), and...my second monitor is all black. i can move my mouse over too it, but it displays as an X instead of the normal arrow pointer, and you cant drag anything onto it.

also, it wont recognize my main monitor as 120hz, it doesnt even have an option to go that high. the find driver program only seems to find the nvidia driver... how can i find monitor, sound card, wireless card, bluetooth, game controller etc. drivers? is there another auto program? cause none of the retail vendors provide thier own obviously (biggest drawback of linux i say) comming from a 80 hour a week windows user since 3.1

Comment

Working...
                      X