X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi, new user. Just installed Kubuntu 7.10 on my laptop

Originally posted by CJW
    I have just been trying everything that I read on all the forums I visit/search.
    Be careful with doing this, as it may leave lots of 'dirt' in your filesystem which can later cause conflicts with subsequent installation/upgrades. I recommend bookmarking any thread you are using, so you can go back later.

Additionally, try to follow one thread through and ask questions in that thread. Hopefully the author of the post you are following will be able to assist you and later make changes to provide clarification. I for one follow the ubuntu thread you have been using to assist anyone who is using it. Another thing to note, some users have their IM accounts available on the forums. I have no issue with helping via IM if necessary, provided I am available.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by monte48lowes
      Have you tried installing Madwifi? If so, then you will have to remove it prior to using ndiswrapper.

Go here and read the second post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...54#post3202754

Then attempt again to install the driver using ndiswrapper following my previous instructions.

Let me know if you get that working...

Mike

I have downloaded the Madwifi drivers but haven't tried to use them. The posts I have read seem to say that ndiswrapper works, but I can't seem to make it work. I won't try the Madwifi drivers until I give up on ndiswrapper.
      Acer Aspire 5610z,Vista HP, No problems with Vista... so far, but I&#39;m learning Linux, just in case.<br />Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition,2.5GB Ram,VirtualBox 1.6.0 OSE

Comment

Short of asking you to completely reinstall I don't know what else to do. I followed the instructions I wrote twice, and it worked both times. There is something installed on top of the initial install. If you can retrace your steps back to the first install, you might be able to find what is causing the error.

Mike

Comment

Short of asking you to completely reinstall I don't know what else to do. I followed the instructions I wrote twice, and it worked both times. There is something installed on top of the initial install. If you can retrace your steps back to the first install, you might be able to find what is causing the error.

Mike
          I think I will re-format my drive and install Ubuntu 7.04 and Kubuntu 7.10 along with Puppy linux and Mist just because I have the install cd's. The way I see it I don't have anything to loose at this point.javascript:replaceText(' ', document.forms.postmodify.message);
          Wink
          Acer Aspire 5610z,Vista HP, No problems with Vista... so far, but I&#39;m learning Linux, just in case.<br />Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition,2.5GB Ram,VirtualBox 1.6.0 OSE

Comment

If you download the 7.10 kubuntu CD, you should be able to follow the directions on my ubuntu post. If you do, let me know how that goes.

Mike

Comment

If you download the 7.10 kubuntu CD, you should be able to follow the directions on my ubuntu post. If you do, let me know how that goes.

Mike
              I ordered the cd from canonical and installed it. I have only been messing with Linux for a week now.

Comment

Working...
              X