This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, new user. Just installed Kubuntu 7.10 on my laptop

I have am Acer Aspire 5315. My plans originally started because my one buddy is really into all the linux systems and this computer came with a pre partitioned drive(later found out that didn't matter and I had to redo it all anyway)

Anyway, I installed a dual boot to vista and kubuntu 7.10. Followed the guide I found and my friend helped fill in the gaps of what I needed to do.

So far it is interesting. I haven't gotten my sound, wireless, or middle button on my touchpad to work yet. But I will get it in the next day or so. Most of my questions have already been asked so I just have to do a lot of reading. A lot is kind of an understatement.

Thanks for having a site with most of my questions answered already and many with links to other sites with more detail on fixes...this place will help greatly when doing my research.

Wish me luck!

Re: Hi, new user. Just installed Kubuntu 7.10 on my laptop

Good luck!!

Just to give words of encouragement. My system is an Acer Aspire 3618 - Pentium M 735A - 1.5GB RAM - 120GB HD - Intel GMA 915. Dual boot with XP (use Kubuntu mostly though ).

Never has missed a beat under Kubuntu!!

Comment

I'm in the same boat ... No WiFi or sound on my acer 5315. I wiped Vista and installed Kubuntu 7.10. The help on the Ubuntu forums doesn't work for Kubuntu so don't waste your time there.
      Acer Aspire 5610z,Vista HP, No problems with Vista... so far, but I&#39;m learning Linux, just in case.<br />Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition,2.5GB Ram,VirtualBox 1.6.0 OSE

Comment

dwr50 and CJW -

Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums. Lot's of good information here, as well as plenty of members willing to provide assistance.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          dwr50 and CJW -

Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums. Lot's of good information here, as well as plenty of members willing to provide assistance.
          I for one would like to see instructions on how to install/ update ndiswrapper to V1.49 in place of the older version that comes with Kubuntu 7.10 and doesn't work. I have the XP driver I supposedly need, but can't get the 7.10 version of ndiswrapper to load the driver. I get Error 2 whatever that means ?
          Acer Aspire 5610z,Vista HP, No problems with Vista... so far, but I&#39;m learning Linux, just in case.<br />Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition,2.5GB Ram,VirtualBox 1.6.0 OSE

Comment

What 5315 Aspire do you have? If you have the 2153 from Wal-Mart, I have written a rather lengthy post in the ubuntu forums. I have everything working with the exception of the middle button on the touchpad. I can get it to work; however, when it works, vertical scrolling does not. Here is a link to my post, if you have the 2153 go here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...84#post3869884

If you have any questions, you can post them here.

Mike
            http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by dwr50
              I for one would like to see instructions on how to install/ update ndiswrapper to V1.49 in place of the older version that comes with Kubuntu 7.10 and doesn't work.
              This version is (supposed to be) available as a .deb package for installation via Adept Manager.

Comment

Have you seen "Installing Ubuntu 7.10 on Acer 5315" at http://hsnewman.freeshell.org/acr5315.htm

It suggests that the wireless is bcm43xx . I have a bcm43xx PCMIA card and have successfully used "HOWTO: Broadcom 4306 With Ndiswrapper 54 Mbps" at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ireless+feisty
                right down to Problem 1.

The Linux Laptops Home "Linux Laptops Home" above tells you how to setup sound.
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Are you using Gutsy? If so, have you looked at Restricted Drives in System Settings?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Originally posted by dwr50
                    I for one would like to see instructions on how to install/ update ndiswrapper to V1.49 in place of the older version that comes with Kubuntu 7.10 and doesn't work.
                    This version is (supposed to be) available as a .deb package for installation via Adept Manager.
                    > When I check Adept Manager on my computer I see ndiswrapper V 1.43 common and ndiswrapper utils 1.9.

> I also see hal is installed.

> I see no other .deb packages. Is there some place on the web I can download packages on my other computer to transfer to my linux box ?

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
                      Have you seen "Installing Ubuntu 7.10 on Acer 5315" at http://hsnewman.freeshell.org/acr5315.htm

It suggests that the wireless is bcm43xx . I have a bcm43xx PCMIA card and have successfully used "HOWTO: Broadcom 4306 With Ndiswrapper 54 Mbps" at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ireless+feisty
                      right down to Problem 1.

The Linux Laptops Home "Linux Laptops Home" above tells you how to setup sound.
                      This is not the same computer I have ( I have an Athros AR5006EG WiFi card) and so far none of the sound fixes have worked... I'm still looking for a working sound fix.

Comment

It's possible you don't have all the repositories enabled in Adept Manager. Open Adept Manager and check that you do have each of the default repositories marked. The CD repository should either be disabled or removed.

Comment

Originally posted by monte48lowes
                          What 5315 Aspire do you have? If you have the 2153 from Wal-Mart, I have written a rather lengthy post in the ubuntu forums. I have everything working with the exception of the middle button on the touchpad. I can get it to work; however, when it works, vertical scrolling does not. Here is a link to my post, if you have the 2153 go here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...84#post3869884

If you have any questions, you can post them here.

Mike
                          Right off the bat I hit a problem ... Couldn't find package gparted, no such file or directory. This must be an Ubuntu program, I'm using Kubuntu 7.10. This is what I was talking about earlyer. Instructions for Ubuntu do not work for Kubuntu.

Comment

From SnowHog"
                            It's possible you don't have all the repositories enabled in Adept Manager. Open Adept Manager and check that you do have each of the default repositories marked. The CD repository should either be disabled or removed.
                            I have gparted on my system and it runs fine. Check what SnowHog stated. It should be in the Repos.

Comment

gparted is available from the repositories.
                              This must be an Ubuntu program
                              No, it is available to both.

Instructions for Ubuntu do not work for Kubuntu.
                              The differences are very small. Ubuntu and Kubuntu are very closely related. Many Ubuntu Gnome packages can be successfully loaded into Kubuntu KDE e.g. gedit.

Where Gnome uses gdesu KDE used kdesu...

If you tell us exactly where the (Gnome) commands do not work for you then we can help.
                              "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                              X