X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi, new user. Just installed Kubuntu 7.10 on my laptop

Originally posted by arochester
    gparted is available from the repositories.
    This must be an Ubuntu program
    No, it is available to both.

Instructions for Ubuntu do not work for Kubuntu.
    The differences are very small. Ubuntu and Kubuntu are very closely related. Many Ubuntu Gnome packages can be successfully loaded into Kubuntu KDE e.g. gedit.

Where Gnome uses gdesu KDE used kdesu...

If you tell us exactly where the (Gnome) commands do not work for you then we can help.
    I don't even have gedit. I have gnupg-agent ,gpgsm and gpgv then grep. There is nothing in kde* that looks like gparted or gedit either.
    Acer Aspire 5610z,Vista HP, No problems with Vista... so far, but I&#39;m learning Linux, just in case.<br />Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition,2.5GB Ram,VirtualBox 1.6.0 OSE

Comment

In KDE you would normally use : Kate (not Gedit)

So where an Ubuntu command might be: gdesu gedit ***
      You would change it to: kdesu kate ***
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
        In KDE you would normally use : Kate (not Gedit)

So where an Ubuntu command might be: gdesu gedit ***
        You would change it to: kdesu kate ***
        The way I see it, if I want to use Kubuntu I will have to translate everything before I can use it. So I might as well wipe Kubuntu and install Ubuntu, at least then I won't have to add translation of help information to my list of problems. I can do this ... I have the Unbuntu 7.04 install cd.
        Acer Aspire 5610z,Vista HP, No problems with Vista... so far, but I&#39;m learning Linux, just in case.<br />Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition,2.5GB Ram,VirtualBox 1.6.0 OSE

Comment

You don't actually have to wipe out Kubuntu and install Ubuntu. The underlying 'core' of both is the same. If you prefer the Gnome desktop, you can install it along side of KDE, or as a replacement to KDE (uninstalling the KDE Desktop), and have a Kubuntu Gutsy installation running a Gnome Desktop.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            You don't actually have to wipe out Kubuntu and install Ubuntu. The underlying 'core' of both is the same. If you prefer the Gnome desktop, you can install it along side of KDE, or as a replacement to KDE (uninstalling the KDE Desktop), and have a Kubuntu Gutsy installation running a Gnome Desktop.
            How would I do this ? Don't 7.04 and 7.10 have different kernels ? Would I then have a duel-boot system ?

Comment

7.04 vs 7.10 are different kernels. If you prefer Feisty (7.04) then you would have to reinstall it. But if you like Gutsy, but not the KDE environment, you could install the Gnome Desktop, giving you both, or as stated, uninstall the KDE Desktop and install the Gnome Desktop.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Still check Adept per below.

Code:
                kmenu --> System --> Adept Manager.
                Will ask for root logon.
                Resulting Window:
                  Click on Adept --> Manage Repositories.
                  From the first tabed section, make sure all are ticked.
                  Third-Party tab, clear cdrom tick if marked.
                Click Close, let it reload.
                Search for gparted by typing gparted in the search field.

Comment

@ dwr50 Please don't give up on Kubuntu. If you tell us the (Ubuntu) commands you want to use we will "translate" for you...
                  "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                  "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                    Still check Adept per below.

Code:
                    kmenu --> System --> Adept Manager.
                    Will ask for root logon.
                    Resulting Window:
                      Click on Adept --> Manage Repositories.
                      From the first tabed section, make sure all are ticked.
                      Third-Party tab, clear cdrom tick if marked.
                    Click Close, let it reload.
                    Search for gparted by typing gparted in the search field.
                    Tried that... no gparted.

Comment

Can you post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list.
                      This will let us know if your repository list is correct.

Comment

If you already have Gutsy installed, you do not need gparted. I added section A - D merely for a new install. You can skip them and go directly to step E and continue from there.

Mike

Just for clarification I installed kubuntu gutsy using the instructions listed. I have changed it to clarify that steps A - D are not necessary if gutsy is already installed. Please be patient, you will get this working.

http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

I have posted directions to install gutsy (kubuntu) on the Acer Aspire 5315-2135 in the ubuntu forums. These are the directions I believe that are being used. I am sure that some of the things may be confusing. Someone please evaluate them for me, I want it to work as easily as possible, send me a PM with recommendations.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=600714&page=11

If my directions are confusing, I want them fixed.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by monte48lowes
                            I have posted directions to install gutsy (kubuntu) on the Acer Aspire 5315-2135 in the ubuntu forums. These are the directions I believe that are being used. I am sure that some of the things may be confusing. Someone please evaluate them for me, I want it to work as easily as possible, send me a PM with recommendations.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=600714&page=11

If my directions are confusing, I want them fixed.

Thanks,

Mike
                            Things Seemed to work until 3.6 ... when I hit return after net5211.inf ... I got a lot of "forcing parameter MapRegisters from 256 to 64" then I typed popd and got "directory stack empty". Then I typed the 3.7 line and got FATAL: could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ubuntu/misc/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko': No such file or directory . Now what ?

Comment

Wow...I really didn't realize this would end up a popular post.

Anyway,
                              My friend runs ubuntu and really couldn't help me much with kubuntu due to him being in MO and I'm in PA. I swapped over to ubuntu 7.10 and started fixing things. I got compiz and sound working. I have not gotten the wireless working yet. And haven't got a clue how to fix the middle button on the laptop.

I'll get everything evenually. I have just been trying everything that I read on all the forums I visit/search.

Good luck to everyone else.

Comment

Have you tried installing Madwifi? If so, then you will have to remove it prior to using ndiswrapper.

Go here and read the second post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...54#post3202754

Then attempt again to install the driver using ndiswrapper following my previous instructions.

Let me know if you get that working...

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X