Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introducing Muon, a new Package Manager under Development by a Kubuntu Dev

Originally posted by JontheEchidna
    The amount of upgradeable packages are in the status bar. (The full upgrade button is only pushable when there are updates, in addition.)
    ok like i said i was looking for a dialog box to tell me (but now that i know to look in status bar i will look there, i must admit i really didn't look eariler very well)
    Muon is already in the official repositories for 10.10.
    awesome :P

have you tried muon on any other distros? we have a 64-bit debian squeeze laptop here i would be happy to test it out on (im guessing i could just add the repo ?,since its debian)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Yey Thank you a bunch
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
        The amount of upgradeable packages are in the status bar. (The full upgrade button is only pushable when there are updates, in addition.)
        ok like i said i was looking for a dialog box to tell me (but now that i know to look in status bar i will look there, i must admit i really didn't look eariler very well)
        Muon is already in the official repositories for 10.10.
        awesome :P

have you tried muon on any other distros? we have a 64-bit debian squeeze laptop here i would be happy to test it out on (im guessing i could just add the repo ?,since its debian)
        I've heard from at least one person running Squeeze that it is working, but more testing on Debian is always welcome, since I don't have a Debian box to test on.

It probably won't work on anything older than Squeeze, mind you. It does require Qt 4.6, iirc.

Comment

I'll test it in sid and sidux aptosid then. Nice work!
          Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
          Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
          Win / & 10 sadly
          Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Just installed it - and so far it looks very impressive.

Nice work!
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Nice! The one feature I'd love to see, if I am allowed to vote, would be to have a column marking "supported" packages. This is the only feature why I always install synaptic in my Kubuntu systems. It is very useful, when you search for a given type of software (say, text editor, etc), to see what are the supported ones (typically higher quality, and better integrated).

Another thing I'd love to see is a rock solid program. Here in the forum we've been trying to support the different package managers for KDE through the years, and quite frankly the most common suggestion is to install synaptic (or use aptitude or apt from the command line)

Oh well, thank you so much for working on Muon, John!
              -- Leo

Comment

i have a few more suggestions for you.

i noticed that if you check for updates it will remove any changes you have marked.

there needs to be a box that says I'm going to do this, click apply. my argument for this is simple and as follows: if you remove a package that forces other packages to be removed you are not prompted with an dialog saying this will remove these packages,this is a problem when you remove some thing like pulseaudio and then later during the process notice all of kde was flagged for removal. i not sure the best way to present the user w/ the changes is necessary the same as other package manager, I'm just saying that your should always show the user all the changes before you allow pressing of the apply button. and yes i am aware of the preview changes button maybe when you remove a package w/ lots of packages that will be taken with it you might consider switching to that preview changes

keep up the good work!
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Excellent work so far.

I would ask that supporting blocked updates be made a priority as I've broken a couple of machines installing packages that should have been kept back, but all in all muon is a nice piece of work.

thanks!
                  -- anais nin

Comment

What do you mean by "supporting blocked updates"? Updates blocked by APT are blocked for a reason. (The reason being that they cannot be upgraded due to unsatisfiable dependencies). I'm afraid KPackageKit has given a bad name to blocked updates, since it once upon a time considered updates that also installed or removed packages to be "blocked".

Muon is able to upgrade anything that APT itself is able to upgrade.

Comment

What do you mean by "supporting blocked updates"? Updates blocked by APT are blocked for a reason. (The reason being that they cannot be upgraded due to unsatisfiable dependencies). I'm afraid KPackageKit has given a bad name to blocked updates, since it once upon a time considered updates that also installed or removed packages to be "blocked".

Muon is able to upgrade anything that APT itself is able to upgrade.
                      True, but it doesn't appear to be blocking updates that apt *does* block. As it stands right now on my machine indicator-application, libappindicator1, and libavformat-extra-52 are blocked by apt but muon shows them as available and upgradable.

Hope this helps -
                      -- anais nin

Comment

Screenshots - maybe that'll help too.

[img width=400 height=300]http://ebassist.com/temp/apt.jpg[/img]

[img width=400 height=298]http://ebassist.com/temp/muon.jpg[/img]

-- anais nin

Comment

Here are the URLs to the screenshots so you can read them as SMF wants to resize them

http://ebassist.com/temp/apt.jpg

http://ebassist.com/temp/muon.jpg
                          -- anais nin

Comment

The packages in apt are only blocked because their upgrade requires installation of new packages and/or removal of currently installed packages (due to changed dependencies), which means you cannot upgrade them with "apt-get upgrade", you need "apt-get dist-upgrade".

EDIT: Just to add, muon has the same functionality available:
                            Cautious upgrade == apt-get upgrade
                            Full upgrade == apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

Can I use this package manager on Kubuntu Lucid 64bit?
                              Which packages should I install?
                              I'm an Italian user, sorry if my English is bad...

Comment

Works for me on my Lucid 64bit install.

Add
                                deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/echidnaman/qapt/ubuntu lucid main
                                to
                                /etc/apt/sources.list
                                and then from a konsole
                                sudo apt-get install muon

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                                X