Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introducing Muon, a new Package Manager under Development by a Kubuntu Dev

Originally posted by Snowhog
    Originally posted by sithlord48
    just installed the ppa, with muon 1.0.1 its already better then the stock kpackagekit.
    apt-get from the CLI is better than kpackagekit!

Muon is an amazing app. The more so given the short period of time it has been 'available.' John is to be highly commended for an amazing application.
    Yes i agree its very nice, im going to use it for my manager from now on. (can i remove kpackagekit some how and make, the checking for updates kpackagekit normally would?)

one more request can we get a "Save Package State" option it will save the status of every package to a file so if i reinstall i can use "read markings" to reinstall all my software
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

just installed 1.0.1
      nice app..though i m not purist. but nice to see a kde software mgmt app
      gooooooooood work
      asus A52N
      Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
      AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
      windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

one more request can we get a "Save Package State" option it will save the status of every package to a file so if i reinstall i can use "read markings" to reinstall all my software
        That would be sweet
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Very nice

I had already uninstalled kpackagekit but have now removed synaptic too. Just adept and muon now.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Pleasures for the new package maneger for KDE! Muon is fantastic. A great job! Go ahead. Keep walking.

Comment

purged synaptic through muon
              Muon has become my primary package mgmt software.

i am using muon 1.0.1 with kde 4.4.2
              a small bug.
              in main window which displays Package, Status and Requested, it sorts only by Package name, and not Status or Requested.
              when i click on Status, the list should be sorted by Installed and Not installed segregated, but it just sorts by Package alphabetically and reverse alphabetically.

i filed a bug using muon->Help->Report Bug.
              i hope it is correct procedure.
              asus A52N
              Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
              AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
              windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

I do love Muon. Really sheds some light on packages, dependencies and conflicts. Which brings me to this question. What is the difference between the KWIN package and the kde-window-manager package? They both call themselves KWIN and for KDE4 at some point but yet they conflict with one another. I also saw where Aurorae is affected as an individual package with kde-window-manager installed.

Comment

"kwin" was the old package name for KWin, the KDE window manager. Debian renamed the package to "kde-window-manager", since at the time KWin was often confused with Kwin4, a connect-four type game that has since been renamed to KFourInLine.

The "conflicts" and "replaces" status for KWin is part of the transition process to the new package, to prevent file overwrite errors on upgrades.

In the case of Aurorae, it used to be packaged separately as kwin-style-aurorae, before it was included as an official part of KDE. It is now in the kde-window-manager package, and the two packages must conflict each other because they would both contain the same files. (And cause file overwrite errors.)

Comment

Originally posted by JontheEchidna
                    "kwin" was the old package name for KWin, the KDE window manager. Debian renamed the package to "kde-window-manager", since at the time KWin was often confused with Kwin4, a connect-four type game that has since been renamed to KFourInLine.

The "conflicts" and "replaces" status for KWin is part of the transition process to the new package, to prevent file overwrite errors on upgrades.

In the case of Aurorae, it used to be packaged separately as kwin-style-aurorae, before it was included as an official part of KDE. It is now in the kde-window-manager package, and the two packages must conflict each other because they would both contain the same files. (And cause file overwrite errors.)
                    Ahhhhh..... That make since. Thanks!

Comment

Did my update to 4.5.1 with Muon. Very Nice!!!

Comment

i just started mine... i don't like how after i checked up for updates it didn't tell me what updates i had, untill i had pressed the full upgrade button (i was expecting a popup dialog if it was elsewhere in the gui i missed it). the right side of the status area during download is nice (X to download, Y space to be used).

i also will be using this as my default manager. when (if) this will make it in to the main repos?
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

The amount of upgradeable packages are in the status bar. (The full upgrade button is only pushable when there are updates, in addition.)

Muon is already in the official repositories for 10.10.

Comment

Muon is already in the official repositories for 10.10.
                            8)
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                              Just looked at that. Yes, that is a wonderful feature. I think that this has already been asked for, but if it hasn't...

When you click on any package, four tabs: Details, Technical Details, Dependencies, and Changes List provide you with good information. But I've always wanted to know from what repository the package was from. Yes, with the use of the Origin view you can figure it out, but you have to click on each of the repositories to find out. I'd like to see a fifth tab - Origin - that would contain this information.

Muon is, and I'll say it again, as have others, an outstanding application, the more so given how new it is. Rarely do we see such a feature rich and (near fully) developed an application released for use as Muon. Great job John. Absolutely great!
                              I added origin info in the Technical Details tab just for you. <3
                              [img width=400 height=233]http://i.imgur.com/S2GBn.png[/img]

Will be available when Muon 1.1 is released. (Dunno when that will be yet, though...)

Comment

I added origin info in the Technical Details tab just for you. <3

Will be available when Muon 1.1 is released. (Dunno when that will be yet, though...)
                                [blush] Well, how about that!? Thank you.
                                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X