X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] upgrading soon

I am wonder a few things about uefi

this is what i plan to purchase

my system now is 2,8 p4 1 mg ram (wont need new hd I have sata 500g or ps have a 1100w ps )

(ill be buying 4g ram for this set up )

AMD FX-8120 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ Eight-Core Desktop Processor
    ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 ATX AMD Motherboard
    (221.00 US)

EVGA 01G-P3-1302-LR GeForce 8400 GS 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

1. will kubuntu auto detect all the new stuff

2. am I going to have issues with the sata drive because of uefi ?

3.once i am installed an running will Kubuntu ask me if i want to convert 64 bit?

4. how do i know if the mb has uefi?

No clue here but looking at NewEgg I found 2 prices for the same board and they both ended the title description "with UEFI BIOS". I like the build its pretty much what I'd want to do if there was a new desktop in my future. Though ain't is the word!

Comment

Originally posted by StarWolf View Post
      1. will kubuntu auto detect all the new stuff

2. am I going to have issues with the sata drive because of uefi ?

3.once i am installed an running will Kubuntu ask me if i want to convert 64 bit?

4. how do i know if the mb has uefi?
      1. Maybe

2. You may have issues with UEFI so look at the very informative threads on the forum about dealing with it. One by Steve Riley comes to mind as very complete.

3. No. I was going to say you have to do a total re-install to switch to 64 bit but now that we have multiarch support I believe if you enable the 64 bit repositories and install the 64 bit version of dpkg and apt and then the minimal and desktop 64 bit metapackages, you be able to install and boot to a 64 bit kernel and then upgrade everything to 64 bit. It would be a cool experiment to see if it works.

Please Read Me

Comment

According to the ASrock site, the BIOS is not UEFI.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970DE3U...Specifications

Comment

good to know . too bad ill have to install kubuntu 64 bit and copy all over and install the programs again

Comment

Working...
          X