This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Forcing display resizing on qemu virt-manager

I have been using virt-manager for testing other versions of Linus, as well as the latest Kubuntu 21-10 releases, and I've run into a problem, particularly with Arch-based releases, like Manjaro, Endeavor and Arcolinux--the display will not go beyond the default, even when I install the programs on a virtual disk and try resizing from the settings. This never used to happen so frequently before, just once in awhile. It does not happen on Virtual Box, either, although in that program I can't get the ISOs to install as anything but a live program, and no changes are saved. So I feel a little boxed in on my experimentation. Is there any way I can get around this? I was advised in one article to tick the box for always resize dispĺay automatically, but that option is not available when I install the distros mentioned.

My personal experience (with Oracle VirtualBox) is that if you do not give your VM enough Video Memory, you are limited as to the maximum VM Desktop resolution. How much video memory have you specified?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 01, 2021, 07:07 AM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You need to look into which virtual video driver you are using. THis might help also:https://superuser.com/questions/1464...n-manjaro-host

Older, but seems on topic: https://stafwag.github.io/blog/blog/...hine-with-qxl/

Please Read Me

Comment

Snowhog: Virtualbox expands to the full display automatically. My monitor resolution is 1366 X 768.
        oshunluvr: The first link didn't help because the file I was supposed to delete is not present. The second link seems terribly complicated just to get an increased display. Isn't there an easy way to change the video memory from 16 to 32 ?

Comment

Add "-vga std" to the start command.

https://newbedev.com/how-to-increase...on-on-qemu-kvm
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I got it to work by doing the following:
            --Turned on virt-manager, then went to Edit--->preferences
            --clicked on Console and changed 'graphical console scaling to 'Always'
            --changed 'resize guest with window' to 'On' (it was 'off' before.
            Then I rebooted the machine and after getting by the login screen, it resized Manjaro to fit my display.
            Thanks for all your help.

Comment

I was having the same issue for manjaro and KDE Neon. Under the "show virtual hardware details" tab I changed the video from QXL to Virtio and it worked. I like your fix better since it should work for all virtual machines. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X