Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SSD performance problems -- config problem or old drive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD performance problems -- config problem or old drive?

Hi! I recently noticed some sporadic lagging in my system (20.10 on an i4770K) and I thought "maybe a disk is acting up." I have a few SSD's and a few HDD's on this system. Using KDiskMark, I found the SSDs (one of which contains / and /home and /win for a dual boot into Windows 8.1) are apparently running extremely slow. They are pretty old drives (on the order of 8 years?), so maybe that's all it is?

The tests being run are:

Sequential 1 MiB (Q= 8, T= 1)
    Sequential 1 MiB (Q= 1, T= 1)
    Random 4 KiB (Q=32, T=16) (*on Windows CrystalDiskMark this test is T=1)
    Random 4 KiB (Q= 1, T= 1)

/ and /home (Samsung 840 Pro) are showing:

[Read]
    540.731 MB/s
    320.208 MB/s
    191.349 MB/s
    2.803 MB/s

[Write]
    372.830 MB/s
    291.069 MB/s
    79.786 MB/s
    2.923 MB/s

...however the results aren't super consistent when I re-run them other times.

A different partition on the same disk is getting:

[Read]
    429.211 MB/s
    452.952 MB/s
    32.538 MB/s
    5.770 MB/s

[Write]
    260.469 MB/s
    296.476 MB/s
    55.664 MB/s
    92.254 MB/s

That third partition, when I run CrystalDiskMark in the Windows installation, gets much better results: >550 MB/s sequential reads, 389 MB/s random 4k reads (instead of 32 on linux!) and similarly the write speeds are 2-3 times as fast as on linux. The partition is NTFS; I could see the windows driver being faster than linux's driver, but that much faster? And why would the ext4 partitions be so slow on linux?

Similar stuff is happening on the second SSD, a Samsung 860 EVO: sometimes performance is about the same, but usually it's much faster on Windows, and sometimes 2-3 times as fast (also an NTFS partition.)

Any thoughts on what might be happening?

/etc/fstab is pretty vanilla:
    UUID=1234 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    UUID=1235 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
    UUID=1236 /otherpartition ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46,uid=1000 0 0

The SSDs have the latest firmware.

SMART checks and self tests and so on reveal nothing.

If it was just a tired old disk, it wouldn't magically run so much faster on Windows, right?

/home is encrypted, but not / (their results are the same in KDiskMark).

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Off the top I would say, yes that's too slow for a Samsung 840 Pro, but mine isn't much better (same tests):
    My Samsung 840 Pro drive (45000+ power on hours, probably same age as yours):
    Code:
    [Read]
     541.341 MB/s [    528.7 IOPS] 
     494.982 MB/s [    483.4 IOPS] 
     196.398 MB/s [  49100.7 IOPS]
      35.857 MB/s [   8964.5 IOPS] 

[Write]
     505.046 MB/s [    493.2 IOPS] 
     438.812 MB/s [    428.5 IOPS] 
     174.436 MB/s [  43610.0 IOPS]
     122.764 MB/s [  30691.1 IOPS]
    Benchmark utilities aren't really worth much except to compare raw results. Not much of what they test spills over into the real world.

If you're testing on NTFS, I would expect poor results. It's a crappy file system and not native to Linux. That we can read/write to it is a hack at best IMO. EXT4 can be tuned - there's dozens of articles on how to. I use btrfs which is generally slower than EXT4 but my results are better than yours.

My EXT4 partition has these mount options: noatime,data=writeback,barrier=0,nobh,errors=remou nt-ro
    For some reason the Forum software is inserting that extra space in "remount-ro". We're due for an upgrade soon.

I also shrunk the reserved blocks to 0 instead of the default 5% because it's not a system partition, just used for virtual drive storage.

Just for fun, here's my Samsung 970 Pro NVME drive:
    Code:
    [Read]
    3193.470 MB/s [ 3118.6 IOPS] 
    1610.199 MB/s [ 1572.5 IOPS] 
     746.689 MB/s [ 186673.2 IOPS] 
      57.107 MB/s [ 14276.8 IOPS] 

[Write]
    1763.246 MB/s [ 1721.9 IOPS] 
    1443.867 MB/s [ 1410.0 IOPS] 
     155.535 MB/s [ 38884.9 IOPS]
     136.145 MB/s [ 34036.4 IOPS]
    As far as the lagging, I doubt it's the drives. More likely NTFS and file indexing - which you can turn off - or let run until it's finished. You're not running your installation from a NTFS partition are you?

BTW, here's a one-liner that will run hdparm on all your drives:

for dr in `lsblk -d |grep -v -- 'loop\|sr\|NAME'`; do sudo hdparm -Tt '/dev/'$dr; done
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 16, 2021, 11:51 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks a bunch --

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      If you're testing on NTFS, I would expect poor results. It's a crappy file system and not native to Linux.
      Yeah my problem has always been that I dual boot between windows and I've never found a better option to share partitions between the two. I.e. the support in windows for linuxy filesystems has always been worse than the support in linux for windowsy filesystems. :-) If there are any alternatives, I'm all ears!

I'll look into those ext4 options and see if I can improve things at all, thanks.

Re-running kdiskmark I'm getting results closer to yours, so it may have been a transitory issue...

As far as the lagging, I doubt it's the drives. More likely NTFS and file indexing - which you can turn off - or let run until it's finished.
      The thing is that it has only started recently, after 8ish years of being fine. It's not terrible lagging, just every now and then things hanging longer than they used to. E.g. saving a text file in emacs that used to be instant now pauses for a few seconds, or opening a dolphin window takes a couple seconds before the contents appear, etc... stuff that kinda feels like the disk is held up doing something. Maybe a recent update has caused some kind of issue.

You're not running your installation from a NTFS partition are you?
      No, / and /home are of course ext4. It's just the dual-boot shared data partitions that are NTFS. I do, however, symlink some stuff from the ext4 partitions to the ntfs partitions, due to limited space on / and /home, e.g. firefox cache, but nothing that I think would explain this...

Comment

Is it possible, or rather likely, that the differences seen between the OSs are due to different benchmarking tools being used in each one?

Comment

Hey, out of curiosity, what do you get on your 840 Pro for:
          sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Total_LBA | awk '{print $10}'

I'm only at 30k hours but I do a fair amount of file I/O (lots of time lapses with thousands of files :-) ) and I'm just idly curious to see if it's more or less than yours.

While we're at it, what about:

sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Wear_Leveling | awk '{print $4}'

...I'm at 88%.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Is it possible, or rather likely, that the differences seen between the OSs are due to different benchmarking tools being used in each one?
            Yeah I dunno... seems like CrystalDiskMark and KDiskMark are testing in nearly identical ways, but obviously I'm not the expert. I'm not worried about the fact that they get different results, per se, especially because of the ntfs issue... but the difference was pretty extreme. At any rate, even ignoring the windows side it's nice to get some sanity checking on the purely linux/ext4 side of things. I'm going to see if the mount options make any noticeable differences.

Comment

I have 2 of them actually:

Device Total_LBA Wear_Leveling Power_On_Hours
              sda 31552575061 088 45217
              sdb 38690114852 084 52563

Please Read Me

Comment

The big take-away from my above results re. the NVME drive vs. SSD is the "Random 4K Q1T1" results are identical for all practical purposes, as are the writes for Random 4k Q32T16 benchie.

When people like me say benchmarks aren't of much use in the real world, that's what we mean.

Please Read Me

Comment

The big take-away from my above results re. the NVME drive vs. SSD is the "Random 4K Q1T1" results are identical for all practical purposes, as are the writes for Random 4k Q32T16 benchie.

When people like me say benchmarks aren't of much use in the real world, that's what we mean.
                  I noticed that... so what you're saying is that "NVME is certainly better/faster but the benchmark misleadingly makes it look like it's roughly the same"?

Comment

Your symptoms sound like they could be tracked down and I agree there must be a problem somewhere if there's been a change. I wonder what overhead issue could be the culprit.

As far as the other - why do you dual-boot to Windows? Games I guess? Otherwise, Windows is much faster running in a QEMU/KVM virtual machine.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by chconnor View Post
                      I noticed that... so what you're saying is that "NVME is certainly better/faster but the benchmark misleadingly makes it look like it's roughly the same"?
                      It's kinda deceptive on both ends: The manufacturers will advertise the high-end numbers but not the roughly equal ones. My point is whether or not something like a drive type or file system is "better" than another is heavily dependent (and wildly variable) on your actual use-case. Is my nvme drive noticeably faster in some specific operations? For sure. Overall though, the difference is rarely very apparent. I think, using Linux, file system access times are more noticeable based on file system type rather than the storage medium - at least when it comes to SSDs. Moving off of platter drives for all except backup storage was a HUGE gain. The difference using the NVME drive is not as obvious (compared to SSDs) despite the differences in the specs.

It would be an interesting experiment to use the KDiskMark tool on some other file system types.

Please Read Me

Comment

Gotcha, thanks.

So I couldn't boot with "data=writeback", because on / apparently you have to also do:

$ tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /dev/sda2

...however when I boot (now successfully) I don't see it in:

$ findmnt /dev/sda2
                        TARGET SOURCE FSTYPE OPTIONS
                        / /dev/sda2 ext4 rw,noatime,nobarrier,errors=remount-ro,commit=60

...I expected "data=writeback" in there... /etc/fstab is:

UUID=1234 / ext4 noatime,data=writeback,barrier=0,nobh,commit=60,er rors=remount-ro 0 1

...any ideas? I notice that "nobh" also seems to be disappearing. Should I just ignore these issues and trust that data=writeback and nobh are in effect?

Comment

As far as the other - why do you dual-boot to Windows? Games I guess? Otherwise, Windows is much faster running in a QEMU/KVM virtual machine.
                          I boot to windows for audio production software and video editing (Reaper + associated plugins, and Davinci Resolve -- both have linux versions but for various reasons they aren't workable for me, or at least not well enough to wean myself off windows.) There are also a variety of other obscure things I need windows for, but they could probably run comfortably in a VM or wine.

Windows faster in a VM? I'm intrigued... do you have links or more info? It probably wouldn't be great for me, given the need for consistent and low latency with audio interfaces (?), but I'm still curious.

Comment

This should work: https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-ins...-ubuntu-20-04/

QEMU/KVM isn't as easy as VirtualBox but it's not rocket science and it way more efficient IMO. I can boot Win10 in a VM in about 12 seconds. The first couple times you try to create a new machine you may fumble a bit, like the way it handles virtual storage isn't obvious, but once you get it, it's cake. You can even set it up to allow hardware pass-through and give your VM direct access to the video card, for example. I didn't do that because it's not needed for what I use it for.

Can't hurt to give it a try. If you're accessing specific hardware via a midi interface you may have to work at that. It's even legal to run Win10 in a VM via the MS license.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210316_161403.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	645092

Please Read Me

Comment

Great, I'll check it out. Can it map multiple monitors reasonably well?

Comment

Working...
                              X