Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone try out WSL on Windows 10? Dang is it slow...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone try out WSL on Windows 10? Dang is it slow...

I wrote a 20 line bash script that calls the GeoConvert function to convert map files containing 8000+ lines of Lat/Long in DDMMSS format and convert them to Decimal Degrees. At the same time, the output is edited to reformat the propriety file into XML.
    Running the script on my Linux desktop, it completed in 4.4 seconds. On Ubuntu WSL (command line - no graphics) on a Windows 10 computer of comparable specs, the exact same file conversion took 4 and a half MINUTES!

I have 9000+ files to convert. That works out to roughly 32 DAYS at 24 hours a day to use WSL.

I'd be much better off with a VM!

Please Read Me

I got fooled into installing Ubuntu server into WSL (to run a reference implementation of something in dart, of all things) and performance was dire. I was impressed that everything hung together, but it was unusable.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

It was an experiment. I am working with some Windows software but Linux tools are more useful (and familiar) for some of the things I'm doing. If I decide to continue to use Linux this way, I'll just install a VM.

I told my developers about this and one of them took pity on me and wrote a C++ program to do the file conversion for me. It pays to have good coders around
      Last edited by oshunluvr; Feb 11, 2021, 07:19 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        I got fooled into installing Ubuntu server into WSL (to run a reference implementation of something in dart, of all things) and performance was dire. I was impressed that everything hung together, but it was unusable.
        My son, who uses Win10Pro because his employer has only Win10 remote attachments, observed the same about WSL's slowness. That's why he installed Kubuntu 20.04 as a Hyper-V app. Very fast.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X