This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Victel;442479
    Well I do have some of that information, I know how to navigate my NAS interface to enable NFS and get the IP that I need at least. But I'm not going to lie, it is a pretty complicated tutorial. I think I might need an explanation for some of that. I'm attempting to create the parts that read "[B
    //192.168.0.9/Public /media/windowsshare cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,users,vers=2.0 0 0
    //192.168.0.9/Ian /media/ianshare cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,users,vers=2.0 0 0"

I honestly have no idea (aside from the IP address) where they're getting the rest of that or how it should look on my screen. Of course it's telling me the directory doesn't exist no matter what paths I put in and with my correct IP. This is part of the second step.[/B]
    Anything sudo involves Konsole, think CMD line in Windows.
    When I started my journey with Linux I decided I needed two things to work: printer/scanner and auto-mounting my NAS. I need the NAS to automount because I use a program to sync docs on a regular basis; with Kubuntu I use Back in Time.
    My instructions are a leap of faith! It took me days of research to get it working and at times I nearly gave up on Linux. Now, I have a 2-pager with instructions of what to do when I set-up a new PC with Kubuntu. My recommendation is that you take notes as you go along. I've added some images so that you can see what I see when following the Wilder's post.

In root/media you should see the directories you have created.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-11-24time08-59.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	644945

You asked about magic bit. It just is! Basically, you need to do this to talk to your NAS. After sudo nano /etc/fstab input your root password and paste the magic appropriately changed for your network. After you have modified sudo nano again to check the file has your input. After doing your magic bit, control-X to exit, and Yes to save.

Name:	2020-11-24time09-03.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	644946

Likewise with fstab.

Name:	2020-11-24time09-04.jpg
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	644947

then sudo chmod +x /etc/network/if-up.d/fstab​ to finish.

Knowing how to use Konsole and sudo (copy and paste my instructions) it should be working within 15mins.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Sure that link has directions, but are they really suited to a very wet-behind-the-ears new Linux user?
      No slight intended from me, for sure, but they do assume some basic (and maybe some not-so-basic) knowledge that the OP does not seem to have at the moment. How exactly do you find the IP address of the NAS? What is it using to share?

Anyway, I think oshun may have combined/confused you with the OP maybe?
      I think Victel is missing the Konsole sudo nano bit.

Maybe oshun did confuse me with Victel, but replying to my post didn't give that impression.

If I may I have thirty years experience in the telco sector working with some really bright people. The best planet-brain I came across was a guy who did his PhD in Computer Science at Cambridge in two years back in the early 90's! A nicer guy you could not meet. Ask him a question and he would respond by asking you a question to gauge your level of knowledge. He would then give you a very clear answer and invite you to return with more questions.

I have always taken the view to "pay if forward" with knowledge, so I'm not really interested in insulting OP about his lack of knowledge, I'm more interested in helping him. Because we all know that "paying it forward" is big in the technology sector. If Victel gets it working how many friends will he get involved with Kubuntu? The guy has just joined and taken the step of putting Kubuntu on his PC. Is this forum meant for experts? Instead of merely stating there's 1000's of tutorials try linking to one, and maybe invite the OP to return with more questions if they get stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Iangh View Post
        Anything sudo involves Konsole, think CMD line in Windows.
        When I started my journey with Linux I decided I needed two things to work: printer/scanner and auto-mounting my NAS. I need the NAS to automount because I use a program to sync docs on a regular basis; with Kubuntu I use Back in Time.
        My instructions are a leap of faith! It took me days of research to get it working and at times I nearly gave up on Linux. Now, I have a 2-pager with instructions of what to do when I set-up a new PC with Kubuntu. My recommendation is that you take notes as you go along. I've added some images so that you can see what I see when following the Wilder's post.

In root/media you should see the directories you have created.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9156[/ATTACH]

You asked about magic bit. It just is! Basically, you need to do this to talk to your NAS. After sudo nano /etc/fstab input your root password and paste the magic appropriately changed for your network. After you have modified sudo nano again to check the file has your input. After doing your magic bit, control-X to exit, and Yes to save.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9157[/ATTACH]

Likewise with fstab.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9158[/ATTACH]

then sudo chmod +x /etc/network/if-up.d/fstab​ to finish.

Knowing how to use Konsole and sudo (copy and paste my instructions) it should be working within 15mins.
        That's where I am. I just need a few things to get me up and running. My NAS is especially important since I'm on a 236gb m.2 No matter what I don't think I'm ever going back to windows, the bloatware and garbage has just gotten way too bad.

I can't figure out how to get access to the root folder you have. I've tried to look it up and it opens a whole new can of worms. I have seen your first screenshot before in my attempts to get this working on my own using some other guides. I typed exactly what you did but with my address. There aren't the green letters after what I typed like in your screenshot and once typed, I'm not sure what comes next, I'm not hitting enter to execute any commands so my messages are just sitting there. I saved it and it's still there when I exit and come back to that menu. Listed under network I see the folders listed that I created but there's an error message saying the directory doesn't exist "An error occured while accessing 'Home", the system responded: mount error 2 no such file or directory. Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual." Thanks for the help. Sorry I work 12 hour nights and have a specific window I can message during the day.

I think Victel is missing the Konsole sudo nano bit.

Maybe oshun did confuse me with Victel, but replying to my post didn't give that impression.

If I may I have thirty years experience in the telco sector working with some really bright people. The best planet-brain I came across was a guy who did his PhD in Computer Science at Cambridge in two years back in the early 90's! A nicer guy you could not meet. Ask him a question and he would respond by asking you a question to gauge your level of knowledge. He would then give you a very clear answer and invite you to return with more questions.

I have always taken the view to "pay if forward" with knowledge, so I'm not really interested in insulting OP about his lack of knowledge, I'm more interested in helping him. Because we all know that "paying it forward" is big in the technology sector. If Victel gets it working how many friends will he get involved with Kubuntu? The guy has just joined and taken the step of putting Kubuntu on his PC. Is this forum meant for experts? Instead of merely stating there's 1000's of tutorials try linking to one, and maybe invite the OP to return with more questions if they get stuck.
        Some of the best people I've met were online and willing to help and I didn't even know them. I'm always impressed with the great lengths some will go to help people. I don't work in an industry that puts me anywhere near others that use computers beyond the basics and I'm the only computer person out of the people I know so I've always looked online and I've always gotten a lot of great help. My father and a couple friends are interested in trying Linux and even while they're not super into computers, I'm hoping I can learn enough about this to setup their systems for them at some point. Also thanks for your support, it's much appreciated.
        Last edited by Victel; Nov 24, 2020, 01:35 AM.

Comment

I think we are making everything too difficult here.

What is missing, from my personal perspective, is info about the NAS: as I don't have one, let alone one from Synology, some info on what its settings are would be very useful here. How it is set up up to share (samba/SMB, NFS, something else?)

After that, it probably is not difficult to get things to show up in Dolphin's network section - especially if it is using SMB/Samba.

Also, in the meantime don't forget there is a Synology Drive Client for ubuntu:
          https://www.synology.com/en-us/suppo...513+#utilities (

Comment

Originally posted by Victel View Post
            That's where I am. I just need a few things to get me up and running. My NAS is especially important since I'm on a 236gb m.2 No matter what I don't think I'm ever going back to windows, the bloatware and garbage has just gotten way too bad.

I can't figure out how to get access to the root folder you have. I've tried to look it up and it opens a whole new can of worms. I have seen your first screenshot before in my attempts to get this working on my own using some other guides. I typed exactly what you did but with my address. There aren't the green letters after what I typed like in your screenshot and once typed, I'm not sure what comes next, I'm not hitting enter to execute any commands so my messages are just sitting there. I saved it and it's still there when I exit and come back to that menu. Listed under network I see the folders listed that I created but there's an error message saying the directory doesn't exist "An error occured while accessing 'Home", the system responded: mount error 2 no such file or directory. Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual." Thanks for the help. Sorry I work 12 hour nights and have a specific window I can message during the day.

Some of the best people I've met were online and willing to help and I didn't even know them. I'm always impressed with the great lengths some will go to help people. I don't work in an industry that puts me anywhere near others that use computers beyond the basics and I'm the only computer person out of the people I know so I've always looked online and I've always gotten a lot of great help. My father and a couple friends are interested in trying Linux and even while they're not super into computers, I'm hoping I can learn enough about this to setup their systems for them at some point. Also thanks for your support, it's much appreciated.
            Re access to Root folder, open Dolphin file manager and you should see Root under Places. Click Root to see a bunch of folders, of which one is Media, which is where you should see your created folders.

Re green letters, ignore them. I messed around with getting access to a USB drive directly connected to my router. Sorry, forgot to say that. The text is green because I have nothing connected. After typing anything into a file, press ctrl-X (^X) to exit, and then press Y to save.

Re error message, go back and check you have created the files correctly. It would be good to see screenshots as per mine. Show us the Dolphin Root/Media, /etc/fstab and /etc/network/if-uo.d/fstab.

I recently got an Echo Dot and learnt you could install Google search on it. Found the instructions on web and after 3 days I got it working. The instructions had been modified and it required me to read issue #95. Apart from the change in instructions that were not detailed on the main instructions page I realised I was making my usual mistake: rushing it! Get a nice, big cup of tea (in my instance) and proceed slowly. The slower I go, the more I learn.

Have a flick through this free book, https://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php. Us noobs don't need to use Konsole like the professionals, but sometimes we need to do something with Konsole. Look up what you're doing in the book to give you confidence with using Konsole.

Comment

Re access to Root folder, open Dolphin file manager and you should see Root under Places. Click Root to see a bunch of folders, of which one is Media, which is where you should see your created folders.

Re green letters, ignore them. I messed around with getting access to a USB drive directly connected to my router. Sorry, forgot to say that. The text is green because I have nothing connected. After typing anything into a file, press ctrl-X (^X) to exit, and then press Y to save.

Re error message, go back and check you have created the files correctly. It would be good to see screenshots as per mine. Show us the Dolphin Root/Media, /etc/fstab and /etc/network/if-uo.d/fstab.

I recently got an Echo Dot and learnt you could install Google search on it. Found the instructions on web and after 3 days I got it working. The instructions had been modified and it required me to read issue #95. Apart from the change in instructions that were not detailed on the main instructions page I realised I was making my usual mistake: rushing it! Get a nice, big cup of tea (in my instance) and proceed slowly. The slower I go, the more I learn.

Have a flick through this free book, https://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php. Us noobs don't need to use Konsole like the professionals, but sometimes we need to do something with Konsole. Look up what you're doing in the book to give you confidence with using Konsole.
              Root isn't present on my system. Some research I did seems to suggest I don't have the permissions to access it. It appears I created the files correctly in my network section.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201125_005926.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	644950

Comment

I'm sorry for double posting. It didn't seem to be letting me post two images in one reply. I want to also note my NAS has a default gateway IP address and a LAN IP address both different. I'm not sure which I should be using.

@Clay I apologize but I'm not sure what information you need about SMB. I have this screenshot of an SMB check box that I enabled? The site isn't allowing me to post another screenshot. I am currently using the ubuntu synology client which is allowing me access to the web interface.
                Last edited by Victel; Nov 25, 2020, 12:39 AM.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9162[/ATTACH]

I'm sorry for double posting. It didn't seem to be letting me post two images in one reply. I want to also note my NAS has a default gateway IP address and a LAN IP address both different. I'm not sure which I should be using.
                  re root in Dolphin, this young man explains it very well, https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post429580.

re addresses, your router is the gateway, my router's address is 192.168.0.1. The LAN address of my NAS is 192.168.0.9. This is a good app for telling you what's your router's and clients' addresses, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_AU&gl=US.

I assume you have set up folders called Ian and Public on your NAS and you can see them when you input the IP address into your web brower?

Name:	2020-11-25time19-24.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	644951

Comment

re root in Dolphin, this young man explains it very well, https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post429580.

re addresses, your router is the gateway, my router's address is 192.168.0.1. The LAN address of my NAS is 192.168.0.9. This is a good app for telling you what's your router's and clients' addresses, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_AU&gl=US.

I assume you have set up folders called Ian and Public on your NAS and you can see them when you input the IP address into your web brower?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9163[/ATTACH]
                    I don't have the option to 'show hidden places' as he does in dolphin. Okay I'll use the LAN address. I have the addresses using my NAS web interface, I just wasn't exactly sure which to use. When I type in that address it takes me to my NAS web interface. What about the folders in my above screenshot, are those media folders in the wrong spot? Do I need to have access to the root for this to work? When I input my IP into the console as the guides suggest what is supposed to happen? Do the folders I have become populated with the stuff I have saved on my NAS? Lastly, no I don't have folders called that on my NAS. My NAS has a shared folder with everything in it which I was hoping I could have that folder listed in dolphin.

Is there a specific place or way I need to create those folders?

Comment

I don't have the option to 'show hidden places' as he does in dolphin. Okay I'll use the LAN address. I have the addresses using my NAS web interface, I just wasn't exactly sure which to use. When I type in that address it takes me to my NAS web interface. What about the folders in my above screenshot, are those media folders in the wrong spot? Do I need to have access to the root for this to work? When I input my IP into the console as the guides suggest what is supposed to happen? Do the folders I have become populated with the stuff I have saved on my NAS? Lastly, no I don't have folders called that on my NAS. My NAS has a shared folder with everything in it which I was hoping I could have that folder listed in dolphin.

Is there a specific place or way I need to create those folders?
                      I create the folders for my NAS using the web interface. You then need to use your folders and IP address in the instructions, don't use my folder names. If you input smb://IP address in to Dolphin's address bar you should see the NAS and created folders. For me, smb://192.168.0.9, and I can see my three folders listed. It would help if you post images of what you see. Tell me the IP addresses of you router and NAS, and show me an image of your created folders, I will then change the instructions so that you can copy and paste.

If you use just "/" in the address bar what do you see? If you see root contents, right click and check add Root to places.

Name:	2020-11-26time08-08.png
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	644955

Comment

I create the folders for my NAS using the web interface. You then need to use your folders and IP address in the instructions, don't use my folder names. If you input smb://IP address in to Dolphin's address bar you should see the NAS and created folders. For me, smb://192.168.0.9, and I can see my three folders listed. It would help if you post images of what you see. Tell me the IP addresses of you router and NAS, and show me an image of your created folders, I will then change the instructions so that you can copy and paste.

If you use just "/" in the address bar what do you see? If you see root contents, right click and check add Root to places.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]9168[/ATTACH]
                        I made the mistake of updating Linux and the computer would start with no display so I had to reformat again. Putting that IP into dolphin opens my web browser NAS web interface.

Since I have to now start over, I'd like to get your opinion on these two guides that seem to be tailored for synology:
                        https://acceptdefaults.com/2020/03/1...are-in-ubuntu/
                        https://0ut3r.space/2019/07/23/mount-nas/

They both show how to share with SMD and NFS. NFS seems easier at least from the guides. Before I get into the specifics of them I want to ask if you think this is the correct route I should be taking. I don't want to dig myself deeper if perhaps there's a tailored route so getting an expert opinion from you might be useful.
                        Last edited by Victel; Nov 26, 2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I made the mistake of updating Linux and the computer would start with no display so I had to reformat again. Putting that IP into dolphin opens my web browser NAS web interface.

Since I have to now start over, I'd like to get your opinion on these two guides that seem to be tailored for synology:
                          https://acceptdefaults.com/2020/03/1...are-in-ubuntu/
                          https://0ut3r.space/2019/07/23/mount-nas/

They both show how to share with SMD and NFS. NFS seems easier at least from the guides. Before I get into the specifics of them I want to ask if you think this is the correct route I should be taking. I don't want to dig myself deeper if perhaps there's a tailored route so getting an expert opinion from you might be useful.
                          I'm an informed amateur. https://0ut3r.space/2019/07/23/mount-nas/ is my favourite, but either looks OK. When you're re-installing Kubuntu, anything that requires a password keep it simple by using the same password at every request. Re NFS or SMB, I use SMB because I started off with it and got it working. Never tried NFS. I also don't use password to access my NAS. As I said before, go slow! I always start off rushing and then it doesn't work. I find a nice cup of French Earl Grey and going very slowly gets it working. Remember, every time it doesn't work you will have learnt something.

I remember when I first started playing with Linux on my wife's old PC, using Konsole left me somewhat bewildered. But I'm a tenacious bugger and kept researching and trying this and that until I got it right. When you get something right, first thing to do is write some brief notes so that you can replicate it later on.

Comment

I'm an informed amateur. https://0ut3r.space/2019/07/23/mount-nas/ is my favourite, but either looks OK. When you're re-installing Kubuntu, anything that requires a password keep it simple by using the same password at every request. Re NFS or SMB, I use SMB because I started off with it and got it working. Never tried NFS. I also don't use password to access my NAS. As I said before, go slow! I always start off rushing and then it doesn't work. I find a nice cup of French Earl Grey and going very slowly gets it working. Remember, every time it doesn't work you will have learnt something.

I remember when I first started playing with Linux on my wife's old PC, using Konsole left me somewhat bewildered. But I'm a tenacious bugger and kept researching and trying this and that until I got it right. When you get something right, first thing to do is write some brief notes so that you can replicate it later on.
                            I normally save web pages of guides as PDF files for future reference with notepad instructions that I make. I like to think my attempts are getting me closer.

I feel like I'm jumping around too much so I'll just start from the beginning. It says for step one of SMB on the outerspace guide to add xx.xx.xx.xx nas_name. What IP do I use, where do I get said IP and what is the nas name? Is that for the name of my network so it would be:

192.168.1.254 nas_GothicNetwork

Is this correct? The layouts and instructions are very confusing to me and since I'm not executing commands for this step I don't know if I'm doing it right. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

You need to post images otherwise I can't help because I can't see what you are seeing. If you post the images I previously asked for I could write instructions pertinent to your set-up for you to copy and paste.

Name:	2020-11-29time10-49.jpg
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	644959

Comment

Working...
                              X