L1i cache: 320 KiB
    L2 cache: 2.5 MiB
    L3 cache: 20 MiB
    NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-19
    Vulnerability Itlb multihit: KVM: Mitigation: VMX disabled
    Vulnerability L1tf: Not affected
    Vulnerability Mds: Not affected
    Vulnerability Meltdown: Not affected
    Vulnerability Spec store bypass: Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass disabl
    ed via prctl and seccomp
    Vulnerability Spectre v1: Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __
    user pointer sanitization
    Vulnerability Spectre v2: Mitigation; Enhanced IBRS, IBPB conditional
    , RSB filling
    Vulnerability Srbds: Not affected
    Vulnerability Tsx async abort: Not affected
    Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep
    mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts ac
    pi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall n
    x pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_p
    erfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology non
    stop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dte
    s64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sd
    bg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2
    apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xs
    ave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefet
    ch cpuid_fault invpcid_single ssbd ibrs ibp
    b stibp ibrs_enhanced tpr_shadow vnmi flexp
    riority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust
    bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid mpx rdsee
    d adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsa
    vec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts
    hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp pku o
    spke md_clear flush_l1d arch_capabilities

I'm trying to access my NAS hard drive (DS416j synology disk station) without using the web interface. How do I setup a connection to access it in dolphin? Thanks.

1. Dolphin > Network ?

2. Konsole > SSH ?

Comment

Originally posted by Grahm View Post
      1. Dolphin > Network ?

2. Konsole > SSH ?
      Yes but what do I need to do? I want to access my NAS without being forced to use the web interface

Comment

What do you see when you click " Network " in " Dolphin " ?

I am not sure how to tell you about using SSH through Konsole ? Isn't it a straightforward thing ?

If you have any shared / network accessible folders, you access them through " Network ". If everything fails, try " Add Network Folder ".

Comment

Originally posted by Grahm View Post
          What do you see when you click " Network " in " Dolphin " ?

I am not sure how to tell you about using SSH through Konsole ? Isn't it a straightforward thing ?

If you have any shared / network accessible folders, you access them through " Network ". If everything fails, try " Add Network Folder ".
          There's nothing listed in network. On windows I tell the disk station to map the networked drive. In linux the option for mapping the drive in the software is simply not there. I used to map the drive with the synology client. How would I add it?

Comment

I get a lot of options when I open Dolphin and choose Network from the sidebar. I am not sure why you get no option in the Network tab.

Comment

You have to have a NTP server of one type or another. Short list of options: NFS, SAMBA/CIFS, SSHFS. Your NAS must have some sort of documentation. Figure which of these are supported and configure your PC.

Generally, if it's NFS you'll need to create a mount point and mount the share. For SAMBA you can do the same or just use Dolphin. You'll need to set SAMBA up properly on both sides (username, samba password, etc.). SSHFS is really meant for console access, but Dolphin can use it if you know the settings (IP or host address, user and pass, etc.).

Please Read Me

Comment

You want to auto mount? https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...3#post-2925306

I auto-mount because it's needed for Back in Time auto backups. To see NAS in Dolphin use smb://'NAS ip address" For me, smb://192.168.0.9. Right click to add NAS folder to Places.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  You have to have a NTP server of one type or another. Short list of options: NFS, SAMBA/CIFS, SSHFS. Your NAS must have some sort of documentation. Figure which of these are supported and configure your PC.

Generally, if it's NFS you'll need to create a mount point and mount the share. For SAMBA you can do the same or just use Dolphin. You'll need to set SAMBA up properly on both sides (username, samba password, etc.). SSHFS is really meant for console access, but Dolphin can use it if you know the settings (IP or host address, user and pass, etc.).
                  How do I create a mount point for NFS? Is that something I do in konsole?

Comment

The konsole is the way I'd do it because after 25 years using Linux it's easier for me. However, you can do the whole process using GUI tools. A mount point is just a folder so Dolphin can make a folder for you if you want to mount it in your home. Mounting a network share can be done from konsole or permanently by adding an entry to the /etc/fstab file using Kate.

You should probably do some web searching on basic Linux usage and commands. There are literally 1000's of tutorials for beginners and up on every topic. 99% of everything can be done from the GUI, but knowing how to do it from the console can save time and in many cases make it easier.

Please Read Me

Comment

You should probably do some web searching on basic Linux usage and commands. There are literally 1000's of tutorials for beginners and up on every topic. 99% of everything can be done from the GUI, but knowing how to do it from the console can save time and in many cases make it easier.
                      I thought I had done that in my post.

Comment

Originally posted by Iangh View Post
                        I thought I had done that in my post.
                        Well, I made that suggestion because honestly - and I'm not trying to insult you - if you don't know what a mount point is or how to "create" one, you haven't yet learned many Linux basics. I'd be more than happy to offer guidance when you hit a road block, but I'm not going to spend time stepping you through something so basic you can and should learn on your own.

Linux is a community operating system. Everyone freely contributes and helps each other out. But a huge part of that is the expectation that one is willing to do as much themselves as they can. If you really need to get help, your posts should include at a MINIMUM all the details of: what you're working with (hardware, software, etc. in DETAIL - not just "hey, I've got a NAS" but brand, specs ,etc.), what you've ALREADY tried, and what has gone wrong. This isn't a rule or anything, but you're much more likely to get help when you've shown some effort of your own.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, I made that suggestion because honestly - and I'm not trying to insult you - if you don't know what a mount point is or how to "create" one, you haven't yet learned many Linux basics. I'd be more than happy to offer guidance when you hit a road block, but I'm not going to spend time stepping you through something so basic you can and should learn on your own.
                          Feel free to insult me - by not reading my post, the one where I detail exactly how to get a NAS auto-mounting. We need to help people to get off the starting block if we want more to adopt Linux.

Comment

Feel free to insult me - by not reading my post, the one where I detail exactly how to get a NAS auto-mounting. We need to help people to get off the starting block if we want more to adopt Linux.
                            Sure that link has directions, but are they really suited to a very wet-behind-the-ears new Linux user?
                            No slight intended from me, for sure, but they do assume some basic (and maybe some not-so-basic) knowledge that the OP does not seem to have at the moment. How exactly do you find the IP address of the NAS? What is it using to share?

Anyway, I think oshun may have combined/confused you with the OP maybe?

Comment

I agree with this. Everyone I know wants to try Linux, after the setup of their programs and internet I think a lot of people would use it if they had help getting started. It really goes a long way. Your link does provide a very good lead for me I think. I asked the specifics down below. My post is kind of out of order.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              Sure that link has directions, but are they really suited to a very wet-behind-the-ears new Linux user?
                              No slight intended from me, for sure, but they do assume some basic (and maybe some not-so-basic) knowledge that the OP does not seem to have at the moment. How exactly do you find the IP address of the NAS? What is it using to share?

Anyway, I think oshun may have combined/confused you with the OP maybe?
                              Well I do have some of that information, I know how to navigate my NAS interface to enable NFS and get the IP that I need at least. But I'm not going to lie, it is a pretty complicated tutorial. I think I might need an explanation for some of that. I'm attempting to create the parts that read "//192.168.0.9/Public /media/windowsshare cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,users,vers=2.0 0 0
                              //192.168.0.9/Ian /media/ianshare cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,users,vers=2.0 0 0"

I honestly have no idea (aside from the IP address) where they're getting the rest of that or how it should look on my screen. Of course it's telling me the directory doesn't exist no matter what paths I put in and with my correct IP. This is part of the second step.

Linux is a community operating system. Everyone freely contributes and helps each other out. But a huge part of that is the expectation that one is willing to do as much themselves as they can. If you really need to get help, your posts should include at a MINIMUM all the details of: what you're working with (hardware, software, etc. in DETAIL - not just "hey, I've got a NAS" but brand, specs ,etc.), what you've ALREADY tried, and what has gone wrong. This isn't a rule or anything, but you're much more likely to get help when you've shown some effort of your own.
                              They're not basic questions to me. I don't feel like anything on Linux is basic, that's why I'm here to actually talk to real people considering I spent plenty of time trying to research specifics until I finally decided to make a profile on this site since I was getting nowhere. I'm not forcing anyone to help me. I do appreciate the help from you and others though.
                              Last edited by Victel; Nov 23, 2020, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X