This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nextcloud anyone?

Curious if anyone was using Nextcloud and what your experiences were? I had it installed years ago and I have a use for it again so I thought it might be worth trying out again.

It's available as an installation package but also a snap from Ubuntu. It would be on my server so the snap package wouldn't bug me too much.

Please Read Me

https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/s...-a-comparison/
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

They are very vocal on social media, especially during the last 6 months. They have had at least 1 major release during this period and was flauting a dashboard again and again. Possibly a single interface control center for all their apps.

Comment

Selling support as a source of income is, in my experience, dicey.
        Around 2001, the suits asked me about which version of Linux to install as a server in the server room. They asked because I had been running PostgreSQL on a SuSE server in my office for over 400 days without a reboot and no problems, and I had rescued thousands of critical records from a corrupted Kodak Unix server using an early version of photorecover. I recommended SuSE because they knew how faultless my SuSE server had been running for the past year. But some suit, who saw a RH ad, said it wouldn't do because it didn't come with paid support. My reply was that paid support wasn't necessary since there was lots of free support available on the Internet 24/7/365 for those problems I couldn't fix myself. RH installation disks were ordered for $1,500 along with "documentation", business hours email support with a 24 hour turn around, along with the option to renew each year for $750. (The contract included permission for spontaneous visits from RH reps to check that the number of RH servers running on our premises matched our licenses.)

The RH6 package came a couple weeks later and I was chosen to install it, which I did. Backup was done using the tar package, but no script or instruction was given on how to do it. I knew how and wrote a script so that the IT dept could do it automatically. (I posted that script on this forum several years go). Things went great for a couple weeks, until I was told my script failed with a "file too big" error, or something like that. I've forgotten the exact message. This was on a Thursday. I opened a ticket via email and gave a description of the problem and got an auto response acknowledging my ticket almost immediately. Just to be safe I posted the same problem on a free Linux support forum on usenet at the same time. Less than an hour later I checked and there was a response on the usenet Linux support forum. It had two suggestions. The first one was the solution. It seems that RH's version of tar was old, and couldn't create a tar file larger than 1 GB. I installed the latest version and my script continued to work beautifully. Monday morning I got an email from RH support. It offered the same two possible solutions offered on the free support forum. Strange coincidence.

Not long after that IT sent one of its techs to the RH Linux training program and after he finished the course the suits dropped the RH support but continued renewing the RH contract. Suits with no computer or programming experience who are made managers of IT shops are strange folks.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 10, 2020, 10:36 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X