Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a new NAS hard drive - suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new NAS hard drive - suggestions?

Looking for NAS hard drive recommendations if anyone has any pertinent experience or information.

One of my WD "Red" 6TB NAS drives died in the night. Only had like 44,000 power-on-hours so still a baby. It was a backup drive so half my data sits unprotected. Kind of a surprise as it showed no errors and was aged enough to be "over-the-hump" of most failures. I have a couple WD Black Enterprise drives that have 70,000+ hours on them.

My habit is to buy a replacement that exceeds the newest drive currently in use so I am always expanding. This also allows me to position the new drive as the primary storage device and use the older drive(s) as backup. So I am going to buy 10TB (the size of my current primary drive) or larger or two that total that size.

For a decade or so I have been strictly a WD user (blacks, then reds when they came out) but I am open to other as times have changed. Currently:

10 TB WD "Red Pro" - primary storage - 21,000 hrs (2TB free)
    6 TB WD "Red" = backup #2 - 34,000 hrs.

The boot device is a small SSD.

In the past I sequenced the drives so backup always matched primary and usually had 4 drives. Last time I needed more capacity I went with the single 10TB drive because is it was cheaper by far than 2 6TB drives. Since then, I had gotten away from RAID configurations so each drive stands alone. I like that arrangement because I don't have to spend time restoring a RAID on what's basically just a storage device.

So I'm thinking either a single drive again unless I can find a sweet deal on 2 6TB or larger drives. I'd like to go to add 12TB although more would be OK.

I guess one problem is matching storage to backup. I have 16TB total now and still 2TB free on the primary so I don;t really need to add space. It's really about placing the dollars wisely. If I buy the 12TB drive I have a fairly large mismatch: 12TB storage but 16TB backup.

I'm looking at the WD "Ironwolf" and EXOS drives. My default will be Ironwolf as the 5 year warranty tells my they are backing up their drives vs EXOS 3 year.

Thoughts?

Please Read Me

So you have a backup that has no redundancy, and source systems that now have lost backup.

Are you sure you don't want to reconsider a NAS that has some built-in redundancy? In my opinion, that's what a NAS does best, and conceptually makes best use of a NAS. Of course, that decision has to be based on how you value your data.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I have two seagates in my NAS going strong for 4 years. 4 TB models though.

Comment

I didn't want to wait too much longer to install a replacement drive so I went with the Exos 16X 16TB model. Affordable compared to the WD offerings and expands my capacity to the point where I won't need to anymore. Hopefully it will live up to it's specs - 2.5 million hours MTBF, 5 year warranty. It's an enterprise drive so might be a bit noisy, but it's not on my desk anyway so not an issue.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          I didn't want to wait too much longer to install a replacement drive so I went with the Exos 16X 16TB model. Affordable compared to the WD offerings and expands my capacity to the point where I won't need to anymore. Hopefully it will live up to it's specs - 2.5 million hours MTBF, 5 year warranty. It's an enterprise drive so might be a bit noisy, but it's not on my desk anyway so not an issue.
          Not cheap.

Comment

I wish I even had enough stuff to fill a quarter of one of those drives. lol
            Or even an eighth. And that's even if i save my Steam games

Comment

44K hours is a "baby"? The WD Red 6TB was released in July of 2014. If you had turned it on that same month for 24/7/365 your total hours would only be 52K+. As it is you've got 83% of that.

The WD Red 6TB is a 5,400 rpm spinner still selling for $143. Why not move to an SSD? Price?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                44K hours is a "baby"? The WD Red 6TB was released in July of 2014. If you had turned it on that same month for 24/7/365 your total hours would only be 52K+. As it is you've got 83% of that.
                The two WD Black 2TB drives that 6TB drive replaced are still in use on my desktop PC with 54k/63k hours and no errors. 44k seemed like an early death, especially when it was sudden like that but I guess I've seen that before. Back in 2010 or so I had 4x500GB WD Blue drives in a RAID array. I had un-RAIDed them in 2014 to separate them into two computers and was only using them as "playground" drives. One day without warning one of them just died. Wouldn't power on. The next one two weeks later same thing. I figured it was good "quality control" so I didn't wait for the other two to die, I just discarded them.

The WD Red 6TB is a 5,400 rpm spinner still selling for $143. Why not move to an SSD? Price?
                Not enough space available on SSDs yet and too much $perGB. My sister works for a worldwide media delivery service company and their server farms were racks of 1TB and then later 2TB Samsung SSDs. They offered me some of them at wholesale price because they were "upgrading" but to what I can't imagine. They price they offered me was still too much at the time.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  I wish I even had enough stuff to fill a quarter of one of those drives. lol
                  Or even an eighth. And that's even if i save my Steam games
                  I know, seems ridiculous doesn't it? My wife an I are avid music collectors, which I keep in flac, I have a ton of movie dvds, decades of family photos, plus work stuff -mostly VMs of full computer systems.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                    Not cheap.
                    Well, not as a total, but currently on Amazon (per TB):

WD Red Pro 8TB: $35.63
                    Ironwolf Pro 8TB: $32.50
                    Exos 7E8 8TB: $22.82
                    Exos 16X 16TB: $21.63

These all have 5 year warranties but the Exos drives advertise 2/2.5 million hours MTBF vs 1 million for the other two. Most if not all of the other specs are similar. Although the price tag is high, so is the capacity, and the Exos drives are way less than the competition.

I'm usually a "you get what you pay for" kinda guy but hoping this is Seagate trying to corner a market so under-cutting the competition.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X