X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mailprogramm usable under Windows and Linux

Hello,

I am looking for a simple program for exclusively e-mail, which runs on both Windows and Linux and whose data I can use on both systems.
    Does such a program exist?

Under Windows I used Thunderbird, whose data I unfortunately cannot use in Thunderbird under Linux, the Windows version seems to be newer.
    Is it possible to use/transfer the data, i.e. the mails, nevertheless from the Windows Thunderbird in its Linux pedant?

With data I mean the mail accounts including saved mails.

A shared folder or something similar is out of the question, because I keep both systems strictly separated from each other for compelling reasons.

Thanks for your help.

I use Mailspring: https://getmailspring.com/

There's free and Pro (fee) versions. It's not perfect, but works well. I use it on Windows 10 and several Linux distros. I have both work and private emails accounts linked to it. I started uing it because it was the only cross-platform email client that did Gmail and Outlook mail well.

Please Read Me

Comment

Why not one of the online programs like Gmail. Can access email on your phone or even Apple.

Comment

I use Thunderbird (Ver 68.10.0), but then I don't use anything from Windows, so I don't run into compatibility issues.
        Which version of Thunderbird is offered by Windows?
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBob View Post
          Hello,

I am looking for a simple program for exclusively e-mail, which runs on both Windows and Linux and whose data I can use on both systems.
          Does such a program exist?

Under Windows I used Thunderbird, whose data I unfortunately cannot use in Thunderbird under Linux, the Windows version seems to be newer.
          Is it possible to use/transfer the data, i.e. the mails, nevertheless from the Windows Thunderbird in its Linux pedant?

With data I mean the mail accounts including saved mails.

A shared folder or something similar is out of the question, because I keep both systems strictly separated from each other for compelling reasons.

Thanks for your help.
          Without using a shared folder, there is no way to be certain that two sets of folders (1 client on Linux, 1 client on Windows) will ever be identical. So that leaves a cloud solution, which is effectively the same as a shared folder; but, while it's yours to use it is not under your ownership. So, unless you have multiple email accounts, webmail works and leaves your emails on one server.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Honestly I'm really confused about everyone's answers and opinions on this. Most of what I read is patently untrue. "Saved" mail isn't saved locally with any service I use. That really doesn't make any sense and as far as I know doesn't happen unless you host the email service yourself. My "saved" gmail messages from 2016 are available on everywhere I access my Gmail - whether it's from a Desktop browser on one on my Windows or Linux machines, when using Mailspring, or on my phone. Google is storing my emails and all the folders and the varied ways I access my account all have exactly the same access. The only exception might be if I downloaded an attachment then deleted the email AND emptied the trash. Then that email would be gone and the attachment would exist in only one place.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X