This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GNU licence

ive wrote a few bash scriots that i feel may be useful to others, im trying to figure out if i should use the GNU licence and hiw to use it.

any advise on the matter would be much appreciated

Kind regards

yoda

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Tutorials:
    Yoda's ownCloud Installation on Kubuntu 20.04

Take a look at https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      its kinda overwhelming it linked me to a page on how to use the license and i get this.

Get a copyright disclaimer from your employer or school. (what on earth im not employed or in school so...)

Give each file the proper copyright notices. Make sure to clearly identify which versions of the license users can use. (how do i do this)

Add a COPYING file with a copy of the GNU GPL or GNU AGPL. (what is a copying file)

Also add a COPYING.LESSER file with a copy of the GNU LGPL, if you use that.
      Put a license notice in each file.
      (Optionally) make the program display a startup notice.
      (If using the AGPL) make the program offer copies of its source code (you sure they arnt over wording this)

to sum up ive made notes in ()

Last edited by hightokeinyoda; Jul 28, 2020, 05:11 AM.
      Tutorials:

Comment

The purpose of the disclaimer is to ensure that the work was not done with compensation. A work can't be "free" if you were compensated for it. I would think that a memo to yourself with the time period you wrote the scripts and a statement of non-employment or unemployment or not attending a school would be sufficient.

The COPYING and COPYING.LESSER files are text files with either of those as file names.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
          The purpose of the disclaimer is to ensure that the work was not done with compensation. A work can't be "free" if you were compensated for it. I would think that a memo to yourself with the time period you wrote the scripts and a statement of non-employment or unemployment or not attending a school would be sufficient.

The COPYING and COPYING.LESSER files are text files with either of those as file names.
          so if i understand you correctly

i put a notice in my source code stating that this is free software and is distributed without charge and can be modified and redistributed without risk of copyright infringement.

and that i am unemployed and not in any form of education and i have produced this software as a means for others to learn from and use in any project as a whole

what needs to go in the copying file and the copying lesser files and do i include a full text document of the GNU licence with each script as well as the copying file and copying lesser file

Tutorials:

Comment

There are a LOT of license options that can be used, perhaps the GPL in this case may be too cumbersome, or 'heavy' for simpler scripting?

The cool script here is using a Creative Commons license, which though, is not recommended for software, seems like a good choice for scripts, which arguably might not be considered software.

https://choosealicense.com/
            https://opensource.org/licenses
            https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license...ftwareLicenses
            Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 28, 2020, 06:56 PM. Reason: Fixed hyperlink syntax

Comment

Working...
            X