This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    Actually, I programmed since I took "Programming" from the Barns School of Business in 1959. There I learned how to operate the IBM 540 Gangpunch, plug the breadboard on the IBM 402 Tabulator, which used those Hollerith cards. Coming soon was the IBM 700 series transistorized computer, IIRC. After I graduated I was 18 and looked 14 and no one offer me a job "programming". An opportunity came to attend a JR college in Nebraska and I took it. Later, in Texas, while at grad school earning an MS in Science I learned FORTAN IV, entering physics and math programs using a KSR-133 keyboard that punched holes in a yellow tape which was then rolled up and sent to the local bank to run on their Honeywell B200 mainframe, also IIRC. Ten years later, in Sept of 1978, I bought the first Apple II sold in the state of Nebraska. By 1980 I had quit teaching and started my own Computer Consulting business, mainly writing accounting software, and using my Physics and Math doing forensics for local law enforcement. One of my clients, a college, asked me to computerize their school, then asked me to teach computer programming classes. I agreed as long as I could continue with business.

My last client, a state finance dept gave me an offer my wife wouldn't let me refuse, so I finished my programming career spending 11 years there, and enjoyed every minute. From 1959 to 2008 I learned and used perhaps a dozen programming languages. Maybe more. My favorite was Forth. I retired in 2008 and haven't written much software since then, but I'm at 79 I'm certainly not a kiddie!
    Just remember. Respect your elders. They may be carrying handguns - Quote, unknown source.
    IF you have the right hardware then ZFS is a fine file system. IMO, it's just too complicated for a personal laptop.

BTRFS, OTOH, automatically tunes itself. The only human adjustable setting is the one which can change the rw status of a snapshot. The send command can only send RO snapshots to remote subvolumes, or non-BTRFS filesystems if the "-F" parameter is used. If one makes all their snapshots RO then before they mv a @YYYYMMDD snapshot to @ they have to switch it to RW. RO snapshots are fixed. They freeze that moment in time in the FS when they are taken. Making a snapshot without the "-r" parameter creates a RW snapshot that can be changed by COW while you are using your system. I always keep one around to recover changes made between RO snapshots, but all of my archival snapshots are RO.
    Hmm Sounds like it's a single drive? if it's laptoping. Or is it sending snapshots to external drives.

This sounds more Server-ry to me. Not complaing. I originally choose ZFS as I had linux, and didn't want the possibility of a hardware failure. 10year old PCI raid card. It fails or the Motherboard fails. Where do I get a spare? How do I recover data from some hardware, without sending it to a professional data recovery company that charges like a wounded bull. However. In ZFS defence, I have had the unfortunate position of adding a new drive, and lost the zpool. After removing the device, I managed to auto import the pool.

I then, deleted the pool, and recreated the pool with /disk/dev/by-id and hey presto, the zpool was fully recreated with all the data, as the data was still there. It was like delete without the delete part. So Thats a positive for ZFS.
    As far as stability is concerned, I have been using BTRFS for over 6 years and have not experienced a single problem with it, even while trying various RAIDS and a Singleton, which I am running now. So, bottom line, Linux is blessed with three fine file filesystems: BTRFS, ZFS and EXT4. Pick your poison.
    Yes very blessed we are. FYI ElderWiseGreyGeek, I will now investigate this BTRFS myself. When I find time thanks ppl

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDaves View Post
      Just remember. Respect your elders. They may be carrying handguns - Quote, unknown source.
      Indeed. Nebraska infringes the 2nd Amendment so I had to get a license to carry concealed. Someday, hopefully, it will be a Constitutional Carry state. (Only a fool would open carry). I was asked in 1988 to investigate a murder that took place the year before. A 14 yr old adopted boy murdered his 13 yr old adopted sister after she rebuffed his sexual advances and said she would "tell dad". This boy's background would curl your hair. The family that adopted him only did so because the state expunged his juvenile record after he attacked girls in several foster homes. They didn't know what they were getting into. Only using photos taken of the scene shortly after the murder, and a Xenon laser scan of the abandon residence in 1988, I was able to demonstrate that he molested the body after he killed her. With my evidence the prosecution filed 1st Degree murder charges. The defense attorney bargained the state down to 2nd Degree. A jury found him guilty and the sentence was 40 years in prison. For the next decade he promised that if he ever got out he would kill his adopted parents and their children, and everyone who had a hand in his conviction. I didn't pay any attention to his threats. His parents sold their home and disappeared. Their children changed their names and went into hiding.

Ten years later, in 1997, the Nebraska Supreme Court heard a case involving a minor who was convicted of 2nd Degree vehicular homicide (2nd offense) and sentenced to life in prison and the court ruled that all juveniles sentenced to life in prison on 2nd Degree murder charges had to get a new trial. The NSHP Lieutenant I interfaced with while investigating the case had long since retired and the evidence was lost. Jail house lawyers told him he should ask for a retrial because ... He took their advice. When I was summoned to appear with all materials I had in my possession I brought my entire case file, which had been under lock and key, hence my chain of custody, since the first trial in 1988. It is still under lock and key today. I testified in the 2nd trial and, probably because of the testimony of two psychiatrists who said he would always be a danger to women (because of his hatred for his mother), he was sentenced to life in prison without a chance for parole. He repeated his threats. The defense attorney challenged my credentials in his appeals and the court overruled his challenge. Had he not taken the jailhouse advice he would probably be walking on parole as a free man today. more than 30 years later, on good behavior.

Fast forward 15 years to Nov, 2012. I get a letter from the Nebraska State Board of Pardons stating that since SCOTUS had ruled the previous June that sentencing juveniles to life in prison without a chance of parole was unconstitutional and such cases should be re-tried or adjudicated. The possible outcomes could include his being released for time served, or adjudication, or a retrial. All three could be a disaster for witnesses. The State successfully prevented the release. That's when I obtained a concealed weapon permit and began carrying two weapons: a 9mm Nano, and a .22LR Mosquito, 24/7/365. Not satisfied with having my guns in a gun safe in a closet just 5 feet from our bed, my wife insisted I keep the Nano under my pillow. I've been an avid hunter and target shooter all my life and I am very accurate with all the firearms I owned. I also taught my wife how to shoot and purchased a 2nd Mosquito for her to keep handy at home. (The Nano's recoil was too great for her to control it adequately, but she could handle the Mosquito recoil easily.)

After about three years of legal proceedings the 40 year old convict was adjudicated to serve an additional 40 years before any parole could be applied. He'll be 80 when he is let out.

A comment: The 2nd Amendment states: " the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." SCOTUS in Heller v DC has already upheld the view that it is a personal right, just like they've upheld that murdering the unborn is a personal right. The 2nd Amendment is not about preserving the right to hunt ducks with firearms. Its purpose is to allow the people to arm themselves against a government gone rogue. The 2nd has been infringed too many times and such infringements have made it almost worthless for personal defense, much less civil defense. Outlaws, crooks, thieves and thugs don't care about laws. They carry 7/24/365 where ever they go. A law-abiding citizen legally carrying a concealed weapon cannot enter a bank, nor come within 1,400 feet of a public school, or attend a political event, or enter a Federal building, or an establishment where 50% or more of the profits are made off the sale of alcohol (how could we possibly know that?), or where posted "no guns" by the proprietor, any athletic event, and more. Walk into Hi-Vee and pass by their "postal office desk" while carrying? If discovered you are going to jail. When you put fringes on a blanket you reduce the amount of area it offers for protection against the cold. When the fringes are made longer the reduction increases. Eventually, the blanket offers no protection against the cold at all. That's the entire purpose of infringements.

Hmm Sounds like it's a single drive? if it's laptoping. Or is it sending snapshots to external drives.
      ...This sounds more Server-ry to me....
      My laptop was made in 2012. It is a 17" Acer Aspire V3-771G with a primary Intel HD3000 GPU and a secondary Nvidia GT 650M GPU which cannot be made the primary GPU in the BIOS. It came with one 750GB spinner. It has ports for 2 HDs and I added a second spinner years ago. Then I replaced the first drive with an 500GB SSD. Then I took out the CDROM and put in an HDCADDY, in which I mounted another 500GB SSD. That makes 2 SSD's and 1 spinner. I upgraded the 4GB of RAM to 16GB. I also have two external USB HDs of 350GB for snapshot storage as well.

Using the Nvidia proprietary driver combined with the primary SSD made all the difference in the world in performance. Prior to Nvidia and SSD the bootup of Kubuntu 9.04 took about 3 to 4 minutes. The Nvidia dropped that to about 2 minutes after POST. Adding the SSD and the RAM upgrade dropped the boot time to 6 seconds after POST. I get about 250 fps in Minecraft while at the same time running a Minecraft server. Ticks are always 20ms or less. I am not a gamer. I play Minecraft only because my grandsons would log in and we play it together. It was very enjoyable. Had lots of fun with them. Now, the oldest is married and producing music in Nashville. The middle one is playing baseball for Central College in Pell, IA as he studies engineering. The youngest hasn't played much since he discovered girls (and also probably because grandpa is too slow due to the shakes). It's been a great run!

I then, deleted the pool, and recreated the pool with /disk/dev/by-id and hey presto, the zpool was fully recreated with all the data, as the data was still there. It was like delete without the delete part. So Thats a positive for ZFS. Yes very blessed we are. FYI ElderWiseGreyGeek, I will now investigate this BTRFS myself. When I find time thanks ppl
      BTRFS is drop dead easy to use, or I wouldn't be using it.
      If you plan on using it for millions of servers then you will be in Facebook's league!

When you search for info about BTRFS or ZFS you'll see a lot of misinformation, myths, and even drive-by shootings and other vendettas, sort of like Al Capone vs Muggsy Malone So many wheelbarrows carrying nads around for people to admire.

Here is an interesting (and recent) article :
      https://louwrentius.com/dont-be-afraid-of-raid.html

Interestingly, BTRFS has introduced RAID1c3 and RAID1c4.

Here is the site to consult to keep abreast of the latest changes or additions to BTRFS:
      https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 19, 2021, 09:07 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hear, Hear on the 2nd A... Let us hope it remains in effect... But I've got my doubts on that too. 18 States now have Concealed Carry Without Permit.

Oh, BTRFS is the way to go...
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
        X