This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting with fstab does work, but not perfect

Remember a couple of weeks ago I got phantastic help from you to set up a fstab which can be used on 3 Kubuntu versions.

Basically everything is Ok, however at each start I get a message (translated from the german)

Code:
    We found heavy faults while checking the disk on /media/arran/trains.
    Click I for ignoring, S for jumping the mount , M for a manual repair(?)
    I use S and the start goes on. The result is then that all partitions from trains on are not automaticly mounted. However with doing the mount by hand on Dolphin they are immediately mounted.

Add to this the fact, that the involved partition is not always the same, there are two partitions affected
    /dev/sdd trains and secure-store
    /dev/sda profiles and dots-and-scribbl, wheras userdata did not suffer.

As we discuss this feature, why are the positions of each partition in Dolphin each time different and the /dev/*** is not always identical. I find this extremly vexing.

And here my latest version of my fstab:

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sdc2 during installation
    UUID=93046f45-cfa6-4533-96b9-d732112458f0 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    /swapfile                                 none            swap    sw              0       0
    #
    #
    #
    # 9 Partitions
    #
    #
    #/dev/sda1: LABEL="profiles" UUID="771122ca-63ca-408b-b110-b1542c6126ff" TYPE="ext4" 
    UUID=771122ca-63ca-408b-b110-b1542c6126ff  /media/arran/profiles    ext4  nofail,users,rw,noatime,dev  0   2
    #
    #/dev/sda2: LABEL="dots-and-scribbl" UUID="f341e5ae-6476-4b08-9680-a5ff5f7a6ebc" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000a3663-02"
    UUID=f341e5ae-6476-4b08-9680-a5ff5f7a6ebc   media/arran/dots-and-scribbl    ext4    nofail,users,rw,noatime,dev     0   2
    #
    #/dev/sda3: LABEL="userdata" UUID="5fee388f-4f0f-474e-8f6d-cdd273016c15" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000a3663-03"
    UUID=5fee388f-4f0f-474e-8f6d-cdd273016c15  /media/arran/userdata    ext4    nofail,users,rw,noatime,dev     0   2
    #
    #
    #
    #/dev/sdb1: LABEL="films-and-videos" " TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000a217b-01"
    UUID=aad7a931-a062-4c89-a508-cd5f2ff2f341   /media/arran/films-and-videos    ext4    nofail,users,rw,noatime,dev     0   2  
    #
    #/dev/sdb2: LABEL="graphics" UUID="d22cb4a3-c55d-4f1c-93dd-e7b6acd6e6a9" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000a217b-02"
    UUID=d22cb4a3-c55d-4f1c-93dd-e7b6acd6e6a9   /media/arran/graphics    ext4    nofail,users,rw,noatime,dev     0   2
    #
    #
    #
    #/dev/sdd1: LABEL="trains" UUID="ef6c1677-ba8d-4adf-b443-4549c92728f7" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="00049226-01"
    UUID=ef6c1677-ba8d-4adf-b443-4549c92728f7   /media/arran/trains    ext4    nofail,users,rw,noatime,dev     0   2
    #
    #/dev/sdd2: LABEL="secure-store" UUID="dca2700b-c5b7-4384-8b1d-6d728925b38d" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="00049226-02"
    UUID=dca2700b-c5b7-4384-8b1d-6d728925b38d   /media/arran/secure-stores    ext4    nofail,users,rw,noatime,dev     0   2
    #
    #
    #
    #/dev/sde1: LABEL="audio" UUID="3441687e-cd67-4104-ab64-b4a6ee65ca18" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="0003b671-01"
    UUID=3441687e-cd67-4104-ab64-b4a6ee65ca18   /media/arran/audio    ext4    nofail,users,rw,noatime,dev     0   2

#/dev/sde2: LABEL="various" UUID="37babfa1-66f5-4264-936d-f4f24d52bdc2" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="0003b671-02"
    UUID=37babfa1-66f5-4264-936d-f4f24d52bdc2   /media/arran/various    ext4    nofail,users,rw,noatime,dev     0   2
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jun 09, 2019, 01:38 PM. Reason: Fixed some formatting for the OP
    Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
    I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

I suggest testing the mount using the mount command. Maybe comment out the line in the fstab for trains, reboot, don't
    do the mount by hand on Dolphin
    Open a konsole, and run
    Code:
    sudo mount LABEL=trains -t ext4 /media/arran/trains -o nofail,users,rw,noatime,dev
    You might find out what's happening.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks, good idea. Do it anytime or before I have mounted it by hand in Dolphin?
      I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
        Do it anytime or before I have mounted it by hand in Dolphin?
        I think using dolphin may confuse things, that's why I suggested "don't", and to reboot first with the fstab not involved.

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
        Regards, John Little

Comment

your "error"

Code:
          We found heavy faults while checking the disk on /media/arran/trains.
          Click I for ignoring, S for jumping the mount , M for a manual repair(?)
          is from "fsck" doing a check of the disk/partition and has found problems with the filesystem on it .

VINNY
          Last edited by vinnywright; Jun 08, 2019, 06:47 PM. Reason: fix typeo
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

BTW, I assume "jumping" would be better as "skipping".
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              BTW, I assume "jumping" would be better as "skipping".
              he he ,,,yes it would .

at any rate the OP needs to backup data off the drives and run fsck from a liveUSB or rescue mode on the drives/partitions in question and let it repair them and hope for the best .

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                he he ,,,yes it would .

at any rate the OP needs to backup data off the drives and run fsck from a liveUSB or rescue mode on the drives/partitions in question and let it repair them and hope for the best
                Thanks Just to get it correct: a) backing up ALL drives or B) the ones involved?

Comment

Thanks Just to get it correct: a) backing up ALL drives or B) the ones involved?
                  whatever ones your going to run "fsck" on ,,,,,in the OP you say /dev/sda and /dev/sdd .

repairing a file system is always risky , but dose work when it works. LOL

if the drives are SMART capable you might want to install gsmartcontrole and run the "short self test" to see if the drives themselves are starting to fail .

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Probably the "nofail"option is masking the errors. nofail is intended for removable disks that may not be present as boot time. If this is an installed disk (as opposed to removable) the nofail option isn't needed. Also, if it is a removable disk, it simply may not be ready to mount at boot which might explain the issue and there are better ways to mount those.

I would start by removing the fstab entry (just mask it with a leading #) and booting. Then manually mounting the disk from the terminal and running "dmesg" after to review any errors, then run fsck on it.

In any case, more info is needed, like to disk type, actual error messages from logs if any exists, etc.
                    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jun 09, 2019, 01:42 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Add to this the fact, that the involved partition is not always the same, there are two partitions affected
                      /dev/sdd trains and secure-store
                      /dev/sda profiles and dots-and-scribbl, wheras userdata did not suffer.

As we discuss this feature, why are the positions of each partition in Dolphin each time different and the /dev/*** is not always identical. I find this extremly vexing.
                      "vexing" is a very polite way to view this My previous motherboard would change the device names almost every boot. I used much more "colorful" language to describe this behavior in the past.

This is at least partially why we use UUID or Labels to mount these days.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X