X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fstab in 3 operating systems

Hello

I am using at present 3 Operating systems. Kubuntu 14.04, Kubuntu 18.04 and Kubuntu 19.04. The two latter ones are not yet ready to become my standard work horse.

However I have created an «fstab» (19.04) to mount my 9 Data partitions at start, so they are ready when the Human becomes ready.

I now would like to copy the content with the 9 partitions into the present «fstab» in the 2 other OS.

I tried to use Kate by opening the original and then copy the part with the 9 partitions and save it again. This did not work. I did the same with Krusader (ROOT), but this did neither work, the fstabs have not accepted the changes.

Now, I am a loss and would like to get some practical step for step help how to do this with the console. Or any other way which works.

To show you the 3 fstabs, I have made 3 pics.
    Attached Files
    Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
    I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

You don't say why this didn't work (error messages? password not working?).

Regardless, there are a couple ways to do this.

The only reason Kate would have failed I can think of is you had 14.04 and 18.04 mounted as read-only. Otherwise, Kate would have asked you for the root password and allowed you to save the edits. You should be able to open all three fstab files in a single Kate session and edit and save them.

The command line way would be;
    Boot to 19.04.
    Mount 14.04 and 18.04 root partions somewhere.
    Open fstab from 19.04 with kate or kwrite.
    Highlight and Copy the desired parts of fstab (I assume 9 lines of mounts).
    Open a terminal run the nano editor as root: sudo nano <where you mounted 14.04>/etc/fstab
    Move the cursor to the bottom of fstab and paste the entries (Shift-Insert pastes in nano).
    Save and exit nano (CTRL-x, y).
    Repeat for 18.04.

Note that fstab files require a single blank line (trailing carriage return) at the end of the file. Also, a type in fstab can prevent your system from booting so take your time and use caution.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hello and a great thank you.

1) no error messages, just not accepted.

2) how can I check how I mounted as read-only? If possible, I prefer the gui version.
      I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

How are you mounting them?

The easiest way to tell what mount options are used is to open a terminal and type "mount"

Please Read Me

Comment

The fstab entries in the 19.04 file have a problem IMO. You've used "/media/arran", the directory used for removable media. That directory doesn't normally exist at boot time, it's created by the udev subsystem when it's needed.

For fstab mounts the usual directory is /mnt, and the mount points should exist; you can create them with sudo mkdir.

BTW, since you've put nice labels on the file systems, you could use "LABEL=" instead of "UUID=" in the fstab entries, to make them more readable.

Regards, John Little
          Regards, John Little

Comment

The 19.04 entry for dots_and_scribbl is not complete. I'm not sure if this is related to your original problem, but it supports my point about readability. I format my fstab files so that they're a table with the columns lining up, and some errors are easily spotted.

Regards, John Little
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              The 19.04 entry for dots_and_scribbl is not complete.
              It's missing the "ext4 nofail,users,rw,noatime,dev 0 2" that follows after "media/arran/dots-and-scribbl". It should look like this:

Code:
              UUID=f341e5ae-6476-4b08-9680-a5ff5f7a6ebc   media/arran/dots-and-scribbl   ext4  nofail,users,rw,noatime,dev  0  2
              (assuming that partition is ext4)
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                The fstab entries in the 19.04 file have a problem IMO. You've used "/media/arran", the directory used for removable media. That directory doesn't normally exist at boot time, it's created by the udev subsystem when it's needed.

For fstab mounts the usual directory is /mnt, and the mount points should exist; you can create them with sudo mkdir.

BTW, since you've put nice labels on the file systems, you could use "LABEL=" instead of "UUID=" in the fstab entries, to make them more readable.

Regards, John Little
                I do use this system to mount directly via /media/arran without any problems since 2014. The big change came this time as I have reorganised all my hard disks and partitions. At the same time changed from NTFS to ext4.
                This system does also work perfectly with the 19.04, but I do need it at present also for the 14.04 and 18.04. Once the two newer OS run to my satisfaction, I will bury my faithful 14.04 with all possible honours.

To your second remark: I did have it similar to your suggestion but decided to keep the longer way until all works.

Comment

To jllittle and Snowhog:

Thanks for seeing the error. It is now corrected.

Comment

Thinking about your original problem, I suggest:
                    1. Boot into the OS that you want to change.
                    2. Use dolphin to navigate to the 19.04 /etc, perhaps by clicking on kubu-1904 in the places panel, and open the fstab. You might have to right-click to choose a suitable "open with" option. Any app that lets you see the contents will do.
                    3. Select the lines you want to copy.
                    4. In a konsole, type EDITOR=kate sudoedit /etc/fstab. It might ask you for your password. Use another editor instead of kate if you prefer; nano is a simple text-mode editor that is always there.
                    5. Paste the text. If ctrl-v doesn't work, ctrl-shift-v or middle-click might. Check the results.
                    6. Save and exit.

Using sudoedit in a konsole has a good chance of showing you what goes wrong if it doesn't work.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Hello

Just wait a week, do not bother and a miracle happens. Since 3 days now the fstab runs smoothly. Thanks many time for your patient and your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X