This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Future Of Single Board Computing

These things are just amazing really. I noticed in the post about getting rid of 32 bit support that Kubuntu would have more time to developing for Raspberry Pi, which sounds great to me. At the end of the video, the guy states that we could be seeing 8GB ram, single board computers soon. On general browsing use, I rarely go above 4gb of use on Kubuntu and I leave lots of tabs open and have a fair few programs always open. For a lot of people I can see something of the size and price of these things being way more attractive than essentially over speccing on a traditional ATX size build. Can see that in the very near future.
    Last edited by Bings; Jun 06, 2018, 05:41 AM.

Amazing. Growing in power while shrinking in size, with everything condensing onto a single chip, and then multiple chips that form a cluster that becomes one's personal supercomputer, in your shirt pocket, no bigger than an iPhone, with AI connected by magnetic induction to implanted electrodes in the brain. Your AI will be a voice in your head and it will read your mind and execute your thoughts. Thinking to myself while driving, "*what's the best way from here to get to the Grand Theater?*" The AI throws up a road map highlighting the way and telling me when and where to turn. I tell it to just take control of the car and drive me there.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GG; This has already been predicted and even has a name: Assimilation.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

LOL, "We Are Borg"

Please Read Me

Comment

I have a terrible sense of direction, so that wouldn't be the worst thing for me.

Comment

I do want to do a wall-inserted Raspian PC with a large touch screen for the kitchen. The Raspberry Pi B+ looks perfect, but I want a larger monitor than what's normally available for those, The B+ has bluetooth so I can use a keyboard and mouse if I want, but the touch screen would be awesome for flipping through webpages.

Please Read Me

Comment

I use mine for streaming media so I got one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4GHz-Fl...8/251599642389

You can control a mouse pointer with it too but it's a bit of an art.

Comment

Touching the screen is the thing I like the least. The screen becomes a mess of fingerprints and grime that has to be cleaned frequently. To avoid that on my iPhone I use a stylus.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I was quite enamored with the little PC boards. I looked into building a mini-ITX unit but found the cramped space was not so easy to work with and ended up costing more. I have been building new desktop rigs every four or five years re-using mid-tower cases. These days I can get the largest ATX board with the most expansion slots and they are plenty roomy for working inside.

Instead of looking at my iPhone for email and news I got an RCA Viking Pro laptop which works plenty good enough. It's actually a 10.1 inch tablet with a magnetically attached keyboard/trackpad. Pretty decent for about 80 bucks!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Vikin...-Core/45804384

-=Ken=-
                  -=Ken=-
                  "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
                  DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post

Instead of looking at my iPhone for email and news I got an RCA Viking Pro laptop which works plenty good enough. It's actually a 10.1 inch tablet with a magnetically attached keyboard/trackpad. Pretty decent for about 80 bucks!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Vikin...-Core/45804384

-=Ken=-
                    Nice box, now for $69, but no phone connection. VOIP isn't good if you are not within range of a free wifi connection.
                    6 hour battery life isn't bad, but 8 or more hours would be better.

Comment

This is a VERY interesting thread!!

A) No matter what is "on the archives of the net"...
                      a lot of mobo manufacturers worked hand in glove with the people who made "the case".

THE BELOW is an extreme example of the Dell "clamshell" case, which was made by the manufacturer but a LOT of "mobo" manufacturers tried to "get their mobo to fit"...with greater or lesser success...

Just go to "New Egg" and peruse the "specifications" of various mother boards...]

there is ALWAYS...some kind of discussion about what kind of "form factor" the mother board will fit within... usually in terms of the various "screw holes" that can be fitted...

As I have posted in another thread I AGREE that "if the big hardware in the apartment or house" is to "survive" beyond the "laptop" then some kind of "other form factor" has to be ...

dunno...

enabled?

I mean... when the "AVERAGE PERSON" walks into "Best Buy" to "buy a computer"...

the "average person" who has no clue will probably opt for "the bigger the better"

THE UNITED STATES SCHOOLS SHOVE THE WHOLE DISCUSSION ABOUT "COMPUTERS" TO SOME KIND OF...ADVANCED CLASS...

WHILE...EVERYBODY HAS TO KNOW ABOUT "technology"...

in other words...

AMERICAN EDUCATION...wants to HIDE...

very SIMPLE KNOWLEDGE from the average person...

so...

YOU RAISE A GOOD TOPIC OF DISCUSSION...

woodjustanoldhardwarekindaguysomke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                      X