This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic signatures

I'm running Kubuntu 16.04 on my desktop PC and Ubuntu 16.04 on my laptop. What software would you recommend for attaching electronic--not digital--signatures to pdf files. The pdf file viewer on my laptop does not seem to have any electronic-signing capability built into it. Thanks in advance for your help.

I confess to not knowing what is meant by "electronic--not digital--signatures".

Do you mean like a USB dongle? They are still digital.

Could you describe what it is that you mean?
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
      I confess to not knowing what is meant by "electronic--not digital--signatures".

Do you mean like a USB dongle? They are still digital.

Could you describe what it is that you mean?
      My reply is: Suppose one uses a fountain pen to sign a piece of paper (i.e., on a blank piece of paper, he signs his signature). He then scans that signature (or he takes a picture of it with his smart phone) into a file that is stored on his computer. Then he inserts that image into the signature block of a contract that he drafts and stores on his computer. That signature is an electronic signature, but it’s not a digital signature. Digital signatures involve digital certificates and encryption. I also found the following on the web: “First, let’s straighten out some terminology. This article deals with electronic signatures, not digital signatures, which are something else entirely. A digital signature is cryptographically secure and verifies that someone with your private signing key (in other words, you) has seen the document and authorized it. It’s very secure, but also complicated."<https://www.howtogeek.com/164668/how-to-electronically-sign-documents-without-printing-and-scanning-them/>
      Last edited by wtb32141; May 19, 2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

So, you're asking how to attach a photograph/scan of a signature to a pdf?

Comment

Thanks. It would seem that a digitized image file could be inserted in place of a "digital signature" BUT the verification software would not recognize that image file as an acceptable certificate format.

I'm sure that verification software could be written to do this, but I don't know of any specifically made for PDF file certification.

This resembles the way photos are used on ID documents. The "software" to compare the photo to the person lies in the brain of the person doing the comparison. While there is a movement to create a (Massive) database of images for ID (Big Brother is watching), it does not exist yet, (at least publicly). Some of the social media are attempting to build such a database with public/user opposition getting greater too.

Does anybody else know of such tools?

[edit]
          There is no reason you could not embed such signature image directly into the PDF document itself. Say at the end, in a paragraph formatted like most paper documents which require physical signatures. It would be publicly visible, which might not be what you want.
          Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; May 19, 2018, 08:40 AM. Reason: added paragraph
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Google: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1473...lly-sign-a-pdf

Please Read Me

Comment

I would not put it that way. I would put it thusly: Suppose the pdf is a sale contract that has a signature block with lines for the buyer's signature and the seller's signature. The electronic image of each signature needs to be inserted into the pdf file on the right line (i.e., in the right place). Special software has been created to do that insertion. DocuSign is a company that has apps for smartphones that do what I want to do on my laptop and desktop PC. The use of the Docusign app is not totally free. I'm wondering if such special software exists for use on Ubuntu 16.04 and Kubuntu 16.04 that would be free to use as is the Open Office suite. I know that LibreOffice's Draw can edit pdf files, but I am no expert in Draw's use.

Comment

That URL seems to be no good. I twice got "Page not found". Scratch that reply. I copied and pasted instead of just clicking on your link. Then I clicked on it, and it worked.
                Last edited by wtb32141; May 19, 2018, 08:50 AM.

Comment

That URL seems to concern digital signatures--not "electronic" signatures. They are not the same thing. I know the terminology is strange, but I did not create the terminology.

Comment

The ability to embed an image file into a particular spot on a PDF document (ie. the signature line) is built into PDF editors.

When a PDF document is created, such an image location can be defined as part of the document.

This implies that you have a PDF editor for this purpose. There are many available, some are free.

You will also need the ability to capture a signature, perhaps on a touch sensitive screen such as are found on some smart phones/tablets/laptops or the retail tools for allowing customer signature capture.

I do not know if this is available in a PDF editor, but see no reason it should not be.

I don't use this utility, so I cannot recommend a particular software or hardware set.

A web search for phrases such as "signature capture" may lead you to direct sources.

[edit]
                    https://infogalactic.com/info/Electronic_signature

https://www.xyzmo.com/shop

I found Many hits when I did a search on that phrase. Some are commercial tools (not free)...
                    Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; May 19, 2018, 09:42 AM. Reason: added links

Comment

[QUOTE=TWPonKubuntu;415204] "When a PDF document is created, such an image location can be defined as part of the document. This implies that you have a PDF editor for this purpose."

My reply: I have created pdf files from within Writer using its "Export to PDF" feature, but I never have done what you describe, which is to define an image location as part of the document. Nor have I ever edited a pdf file. I will investigate both topics, and I'll seek a "signature capture" app.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Comment

I've edited my previous post to include a couple of links.

Comment

All the way at the bottom of this page:

https://www.howtogeek.com/164668/how...scanning-them/

Basically there are online services for this, as well as the option to insert an actual image of a signature using Xournal.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X