Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IF I did you dd test it would put my machine out of action for an hour before I could use it again. All 8 cores would be sweating and begging for mercy.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      bs just means "byte size". The dd commands create a tempfile of 10GB and time the amount of time is takes to write and then read it.
      <clip>
      I was just being silly - and you come back with a complete explanation of your script. You are a class act, my friend!

BTW, exploring my BIOS yesterday I tried changing a few settings, just to speed things up if I could. Next thing, the system wouldn't boot! I had to wrangle the box out, take off the cover and reset the CMOS. The older I get, the more I seem to shoot myself in the foot. 1800+ MB/s is plenty fast enough!

-=Ken=-
      Last edited by kenj70; Jun 02, 2018, 02:39 PM.
      -=Ken=-
      "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
      DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        IF I did you dd test it would put my machine out of action for an hour before I could use it again. All 8 cores would be sweating and begging for mercy.
        Sounds like it's time to build a new rig. The advances in technology are impressive and I find these projects to be fun.

-=Ken=-
        -=Ken=-

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
          Sounds like it's time to build a new rig. The advances in technology are impressive and I find these projects to be fun.

-=Ken=-
          I was thinking of going the other way ... when my computer dies just use my iPhone. During the last 50 years I've seen the rise and the beginning of the fall of personal computing. I've had a good ride surfing the digital waves. Now, I'm just setting on the beach wiggling my toes in the water.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            I was thinking of going the other way ... when my computer dies just use my iPhone. During the last 50 years I've seen the rise and the beginning of the fall of personal computing. I've had a good ride surfing the digital waves. Now, I'm just setting on the beach wiggling my toes in the water.
            Sounds nice. We used to own lake property.
            Well then I hope your rig lasts a long time. Your expertise and helpfulness here is exceptional.

I have an iPhone as well - and sometimes I regret us getting those overpriced things. I just sent for a cheap tablet, keyboard combo from Walmart. I'm tired of trying to read my email and news on the dinky phone in the morning.

-=Ken=-
            -=Ken=-

Comment

I was given an 10" iPad for Christmas several years ago. I used it for about six months but finally gave up on it. It had an Internet connection but at the time I couldn't find a VIOP service that would work on it so I could make phone calls. Take it with me when leaving the house? It wouldn't fit in my pocket and I didn't want to carry a purse.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                I'd expect power on to log in time to be dominated by the POST of the firmware. My (2 year old) system with a Gigabyte motherboard takes at least 8 seconds. If you enable the grub menu, so that you can time the boot of the OS without the firmware, what time do you get? From grub to login my system takes 3 s. Systemd utilizes lots of threads starting everything, it's much faster than the old init. I don't mount any spinning drives at boot, they take seconds to spin up, though I suppose that would start at power on.

Annoyed by that 8 s delay, I suspend (to RAM) rather than shut down. It takes 1 s to wake up.

Regards, John Little
                Sorry, I dropped the ball getting back to you on this one. I measured 9 seconds from grub menu to login screen. The new ASRock MB must have been a bargain because the POST process and the NVMe support are slower than the premium boards. Not a deal breaker but now I know more what is going on under the hood.

-=Ken=-
                -=Ken=-

Comment

I'm at about 23 seconds from power-on to log in , but I mount over a dozen locations including four network drives.

I'm not complaining because my Windows 7 Pro laptop takes several minutes to be ready for login. More if there were recent updates.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    I'm at about 23 seconds from power-on to log in , but I mount over a dozen locations including four network drives.

I'm not complaining because my Windows 7 Pro laptop takes several minutes to be ready for login. More if there were recent updates.
                    That is very respectable fro what you call an older MB. I have the NVMe drive, a 500 GB HDD and a 1 TB usb external HDD and the power on to login measured about 26 seconds.

I try to save money by buying bargains - which may be so because they have some subtle flaws. Good enough for a hobbyist though. I sometimes say I am following the "trailing edge of technology" - because I can't afford the leading edge.

-=Ken=-
                    -=Ken=-

Comment

Working...
                    X