Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion poll: Should I just automatically install updates every morning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion poll: Should I just automatically install updates every morning?

Background:
    My daily habit is to run 'sudo apt update; sudo apt list --upgradable' first thing in the morning. Since I have an AMD card and use the oibaf ppa for drivers, this means I literally have a driver update every single day.
    My system does an automatic snapshot or backup every morning at 5:30am, so for all practical purposes, I always just do a full-upgrade anyway. If something breaks, I have a snapshot to fall back on and it takes like 5 seconds to rollback and reboot.

So my question: Should I just add automatically running 'sudo apt full-upgrade' to my daily cron tasks?

Other than the obvious Linux user FUD about auto-upgrading anything, is there some reason NOT to do this that I haven't thought of? It would be super easy to do since I already have a morning script running. I can just add this to the task.

Curious about what you think...

Please Read Me

Perhaps.

No reason to not do this comes to mind in the context you described - except that you have to be aware that full-upgrade sometimes also removes things what you might want to confirm in certain rare cases.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 06, 2024, 08:15 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

There seems not any reasons not to do it, since you have an automatic back-up of the system anyway.

Comment

Where is the poll? I wanna click!!!

I'd say it depends on the system - assuming neon?
        If so, I'd suggest daily, or every 2 maybe.

I noticed on my PC, updated at least once a day, I have few if any packaging issues
        But on my crusty laptop, which sometimes can go for up to a week without me bothering, I see more of the problems everyone else has been seeing lately (like this one)
        Not that these are difficult for us to handle, but fewer steps is fewer steps, I say.
        But some setups sort of need them done daily or at least more regularly (rolling types). The question is, how much do you trust it, or how much a bother is it to roll back. (It would still bug me and lower my mood a bit first thing in the morning, even if I have had my Diet Dr. Pepper ad recovering only takes a reboot)

I don't do auto updates, been burned by that on more than one distro in the past (on top of my own incompetence ). Just a fast glance before proceeding.
        If I were smart and patient, I'd probably just do the offline updates thing, since I have been shutting my systems down at night.
        Last edited by claydoh; Apr 06, 2024, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• oshunluvr
          oshunluvr commented
          Editing a comment
          I've forgotten how to make a poll!

I do full-upgrade every time, without question. Of course, my system is not at all exotic. I do have a couple of PPAs, but they are pretty benign. All in all full-upgrade for my installation has never failed me.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Since I have an AMD card and use the oibaf ppa for drivers,
          There are good PPAs for non-git, or at least less frenetic update paces. Kisak or ernstp's
          If you still have that ancient RX580, you probably could just revert to stock Mesa, now that Ubuntu's HWE provides the 23.2 mesa, which iirc is the oldest version with the best support for the modern AMD cards and Vulkan stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            I don't do auto updates, been burned by that on more than one distro in the past. Just a fast glance before proceeding.
            I do the same, for the same reason.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

If you still have that ancient RX580
              Hurtful, Claydoh. Just hurtful. Sniff...

Please Read Me

Comment

I think I'm gonna go for it. I'll just have it update after the daily snapshot so I can just roll-back if needed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  If you still have that ancient RX580

Hurtful, Claydoh. Just hurtful. Sniff...

Hey, I have that card too! Recommended by a highly reputable source!
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    Hey, I have that card too!
                    Ya, but it is from 2017, and I don't think that they have been made new for a while now.
                    .....and I would be proven wrong, maybe

By no means is it a bad card, just an older architecture.My last gpu before the rx66xx was an rx480, which is a bit older, so there.....

Comment

Working...
                    X