NVME and power on hours wackiness???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVME and power on hours wackiness???

I was getting some info on my drives, and decided to check the power-on hours of my newish NVME drives - the latest drives I purchased. Here's the results:

Code:
    nvme0n1 power_on_hours : 7,163
    nvme1n1 power_on_hours : 233
    nvme2n1 power_on_hours : 5
    nvme3n1 power_on_hours : 7,810
    ​That is totally crazy because the drives with almost NO hours were installed in Dec. 2022 and the computer is on all day almost every day. The oldest 2 drives were April 2022 purchased but not installed until some time later. The 2 other drives were installed in Dec 2022.

7810 hours is 325 days which seems like a reasonable amount of hours. 7163 is 298 days which is also reasonable except for the 650 hour disparity. Seems likely the drive with the most hours had some time on it when I received it, but nothing explains the freakish low hours on drives nvme1 and nvme2.

Curious now, I checked power cycles:
    Code:
    nvme0n1 power_cycles : 48
    nvme1n1 power_cycles : 33
    nvme2n1 power_cycles : 33
    nvme3n1 power_cycles : 48
    ​This sort of jibes - the two older drives have more cycles but the pairs have the same. Another data point to throw in: Drives nvme1 + nvme2 are Samsung 990 Pros and nvme0 + nvme3 are Adata Gammix Blade drives. So there's many differences between the drive pairs.

Still confused, I ran the full output of the "nvme smart-log" and dumped it all into a spreadsheet to compare. The drive that I boot to - nvme1 - has the most read/write commands as expected. Another really disparate measurement is "controller_busy_time" which nvme1 has by far the most (1549) - as expected - but all the others are very low - 22 or below. Maybe this is expected because the other 3 drives are not used as much.

The only logical assumption I can make so far is for whatever reason Samsung reports power-on-hours in a different way than Adata.

I'll probably check all this again after some time passing to see what if anything changes...

Please Read Me

Well, you previously said that you won't buy Adata drives again, so....
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X