This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross platform email client

Anyone try out Nylas Mail, formerly Nylas N1? I had a slew of problems getting it to work initially and it was rather slow and a resource hog. I kinda gave up on it.

This week I ran into MailSpring - a rebranding and re-write of Nylas by one of the original developers. Looks promising. Clean interface and can interface with Office 365 mail which is what i needed. Also it's cross-platform and syncs to multiple instances of itself, which is convenient if you use multiple computers in multiple locations. They lightened the code so it launches faster and have made other improvements.

I'm not really recommending it, just pointing it out in case you're looking for a cross-platform, synced, email client that works with MS Enterprise email. There's a subscription service that gets you more features for $8 a month, but I am sticking to the free version.

Please Read Me

That's good to hear - we need more Office 364-compatable email clients. As for me, I'm using TBird until Kube gets a few more functions. I'm currently alpha-testing now, as I am a KolabNow mail user. Possibly worth noting - there's some serious effort in getting KMail back on track:

(1) kde-pim dev needed, for a sponsored open source effort, to remove akonadi
    (2) ok, maybe i won't find any devs to back akonadi out of kde-pim after all

KDE Kube
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
      That's good to hear. I used KMail for years before it went south and became difficult to setup pop3 or imap.
      When I switched from Spectrum to Allo KMail could not even be forced to connect to Allo's pop3 or imap. I switched to TBird and it connected automagically.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I just use Thunderbird with the IMAP compatibility servers for my school emeai (office365) I have seen mailspring and if they get carddav in the free version, might set my mom up with it when I switch her to Linux in a few years
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Hi oshunluvr

Well...THAT was quick!
          I did the deb and had my gmail account setup with just entering the account and password and the mail was on my machine in oh... a few SECONDS!
          Thanks!
          woodlikesoshunluvrslinkysmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I use my phone for email 95% of time, but might try this; the interface is so clean and simple- if only there were carddav or Google contacts.
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              This week I ran into MailSpring .....
              I just installed it. Simple to install, simple to use, works perfectly. In fact, works much better than Thunderbird and has replaced it.

I reset my Pale-Moon email pointer to Mailspring and it opens an email compose window on the URL link perfectly.
              Thanks for the heads up!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Glad some of you like it. I really just wanted an easy way to check my work emails without switching to my work laptop when I'm in my home office. Mailspring seems to have everything I need in a fast and simple interface. I have not yet got parts of the Exchange interface working - like the Outbox is empty - but I'm going to contact the developer and see if it can be worked out.

Please Read Me

Comment

It DOES push to account on your phone
                  woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

a surprisingly... workable... client which has developers who... are pushing out updates regularly...

definitely in the running for a keeper...

wood..

LIKES...

it

smoke

P.S. Oshunluver is a good man I just wish we could dive together! \

But...he is too salty for the old woodhillbillysmoker! lol
                    Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 07, 2018, 01:39 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                      P.S. Oshunluver is a good man I just wish we could dive together! \

But...he is too salty for the old woodhillbillysmoker! lol
                      LOL, I'd love a good long warm water dive with you and a longer night of wild discourse over a few glasses. Never say never!

Please Read Me

Comment

I was thinking about testing KMail (again) to see if its bugs have been improved or removed. I needed to export my emails from mailspring. That's when I discovered that mailspring does NOT have export facilities. It automatically imported all the existing mail it found on my system, which was neat, but not having an export facility makes it a walled garden, IMO. Ergo, before I get too much mail locked up into the system I am going to moving to another email client which DOES support import AND export.

Comment

they have not
                          woodusestbirdsmoke
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Mail spring works well, but for now anyway I'm sticking with Tbird. Have never had a problem with it. Would Like to use Kmail but it's just too cumbersome these days.
                            Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Cross platform email client

Indeed!
                              I used KMail for years after it was introduced without any problems. But, as time passed, the developers kept tinkering, trying to “fix” what wasn’t broken.
                              When I cancelled my Spectrum account and moved to Allophone’s fiber optic I discovered that KMail refused to bind to Allo’s POP3 or SMTP.
                              Forced to look elsewhere. My only test in retrying KMail is to see if it can successfully connect to Allo
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 12, 2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X