Ubuntu Pro anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu Pro anyone?

Curious if anyone is using Ubuntu Pro and why/what your experience is.

I installed the free trial on my server (20.04) but not really sure what it does for me.

Please Read Me

Live kernel patching?

"Ubuntu Pro is an additional stream of security updates and packages that meet compliance requirements such as FIPS or HIPAA, on top of an Ubuntu LTS."

I dunno, it is clear as mud what it is for outside of ultra-long LTS support periods.

Comment

Well, if you full-upgrade a 20.04 desktop system you will certainly see several package updates listed in the "APT-Ubuntu-advertisement" which you will only get with Pro. On a server installation there will obviously be fewer of those.
      For a server with Pro you can rely on kernel and security updates for several more years than the "standard" *ubuntu LTS - this is the main benefit I would say.

PS: Have not tried out Ubuntu Pro yet, as my servers run on Debian.

PPS: A customer's desktop system could also benefit from Pro as the customer then could run the same system and programs for a longer period of time without security concerns (theoretically…).
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 06, 2023, 01:56 PM. Reason: typos, added PS, PPS
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Yeah, I thought it might be good on the server side since I'm still running 20.04 and have no plans to change until 2025. I run KDEneon as my desktop and I haven't seen the notice to "upgrade" to pro. My Kubuntu laptop did ask me...

Please Read Me

Comment

You would need to install ubuntu-advantage-tools.
          Neon replaces it with a 'dummy' package.

Comment

Working...
          X