X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encrypted Linux phone

For those of you who are devoted to Linux and interested in privacy:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/08/p...e-crowdfunding

Kinda pricey for $599 without even a commitment to architecture.

Seems to me you ought to be able to do this for half that.

Thoughts?

Please Read Me

It's not scheduled to be out till 2019. It's just a drawing of a phone. Putting your money into crowd funding is a mug's game IMHO.

That said, a **** free phone would be nice. I don't know why all these linux, dekstops, laptops and phones have to be high end and expensive. It kind of defeats the purpose of getting rid of the "windows tax" if it's cheaper to buy a windows laptop and format it.

Comment

Well, but that's the MS game really - they subsidize PCs so you'll get one cheaper, then you're one the MS upgrade wagon train. Reality sets in when two years later, although your PC/Laptop is still totally usable and in good shape, MS "upgrades" their OS so it no longer runs on your "old" hardware. Since you don't know better, you go ahead and buy a new computer - so now the hardware sellers get an extra chunk too. It the vicious cycle the business community in the USA wants you to ride.

Anyway, the point of the post was more toward interest in Linux on phones and security/privacy. We have a fairly large number of members who strive for both of those goals.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Well, but that's the MS game really - they subsidize PCs so you'll get one cheaper, then you're one the MS upgrade wagon train. Reality sets in when two years later, although your PC/Laptop is still totally usable and in good shape, MS "upgrades" their OS so it no longer runs on your "old" hardware. Since you don't know better, you go ahead and buy a new computer - so now the hardware sellers get an extra chunk too. It the vicious cycle the business community in the USA wants you to ride.

Anyway, the point of the post was more toward interest in Linux on phones and security/privacy. We have a fairly large number of members who strive for both of those goals.
        I strive for that too but doing expensive niche products, which are clearly just a wants list for the creators, is not going to do much for those goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
          I strive for that too but doing expensive niche products, which are clearly just a wants list for the creators, is not going to do much for those goals.
          it will IF they can get it off the ground and used and talked about (favorably) and then adopted by the people that care .

if I had the $ I would per-order one right now .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Will this push anyone more toward it?

https://www.kde.org/announcements/kd...sm-librem5.php

Please Read Me

Comment

Only if I get a free one, or a big discount. :P
              On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

that would be awesome ,,,,,I was watching the plasma mobile project for a wile ,,,,,but still I just do not have the $ to throw at it ,,,,,

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Yeah, at $300 I'm in, but $600 for any phone is just stupid IMO.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeah, at $300 I'm in, but $600 for any phone is just stupid IMO.
                    LOL ,,,well the new iphone is $1000 and that's not just stupid ,,,,,but a bit insane as well

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Honesly i would love to get one and help with plasma mobile . But then again if i can get it on my current phone i could do just as much hacking on it.
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                        Honesly i would love to get one and help with plasma mobile . But then again if i can get it on my current phone i could do just as much hacking on it.
                        the problem with getting it on your curent phone is all the proprietary chips ,,,,,that do not release info on how to work them correctly

the phone in question dose not ,,,,,, and is why plasma mobile is exited about working with them to get it going as it should be much easier than continuing to try and reverse engineer proprietary hardware .

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

its possible for my phone , i just have not done so https://plasma-mobile.org/nexus-5/
                          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                            its possible for my phone , i just have not done so https://plasma-mobile.org/nexus-5/
                            ,,,,,,,, lucky you ,,,you have one of the few phones that they have gotten it to work on ,,,,,,? are their a few ,,,caveats however...their used to be.

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/ It reached the goal. Will see whether it actually appears or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X