Cockpit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cockpit

I was looking to see if a systemd gui had been recently updated and/or released, but found this older article describing all of the systemd gui packages available at the time. Seems nothing has changed since systemd-ui support was dropped.

It led me to two packages, both of which had to be downloaded from launchpad and installed in the following order:

sudo apt install ./systemd-ui_3-4_amd64.deb
    sudo apt install ./systemd-gui_3-4_all.deb
    They produced this

The article listed one called Cockpit. It was browser based and reminded me of a browser based system tool I used years ago. Can't remember its name.

Anyway, cockpit version 215 is in the Neon repository so I installed it to give it a spin. I have one word for it: Awesome! It also does everything systemd-ui does and more. It is as close to the now unsupported kcmshell5 system gui as any I've seen so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	662177
    Attached Files
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 12, 2022, 11:53 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Cockpit actually comes from Ubuntu 20.04's repositories (like all non-Plasma stuff), which makes it pretty easy to grab a newer version from the ubuntu-backports component.:

sudo apt install -t focal-backports cockpit this gets you version 264, if you want it.

Code:
    $ apt policy cockpit
    cockpit:
     Installed: (none)
     Candidate: 215-1
     Version table:
        264-1~bpo20.04.1 100
           100 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports/universe amd64 Packages
           100 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports/universe i386 Packages
        215-1 500
           500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
           500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe i386 Packages

Comment

Kind of a lot of depends, many unecessary IMO:
      Code:
      stuart@office:~$ sudo apt install -t focal-backports cockpit
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree        
      Reading state information... Done
      Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
      Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
      Done
      The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
       libllvm13 libllvm13:i386
      Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
      The following additional packages will be installed:
       cockpit-bridge cockpit-networkmanager cockpit-packagekit cockpit-storaged cockpit-system cockpit-ws cracklib-runtime finalrd libblockdev-mdraid2 libbluetooth3
       libbytesize1 libcrack2 libndp0 libnm0 libpwquality-common libpwquality-tools libpwquality1 libteamdctl0 mdadm network-manager network-manager-pptp ppp pptp-linux
      Suggested packages:
       cockpit-doc cockpit-pcp cockpit-sosreport udisks2-lvm2 sssd-dbus default-mta | mail-transport-agent dracut-core libteam-utils
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
       cockpit cockpit-bridge cockpit-networkmanager cockpit-packagekit cockpit-storaged cockpit-system cockpit-ws cracklib-runtime finalrd libblockdev-mdraid2
       libbluetooth3 libbytesize1 libcrack2 libndp0 libnm0 libpwquality-common libpwquality-tools libpwquality1 libteamdctl0 mdadm network-manager network-manager-pptp
       ppp pptp-linux
      0 upgraded, 24 newly installed, 0 to remove and 34 not upgraded.
      Need to get 9,163 kB of archives.
      After this operation, 21.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
      Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
      I haven't used mdadm since btrfs, lol. Nor do I use network manager or have a modem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Nice look, though a little over-expanded/too much blank space IMO. For example, each mount occupies enough space for three lines of info but only uses one. I'd prefer tighter spacing. I'd rather not have to scroll.

I can see it would be a huge benefit to a less experienced user, like Webmin but for your local computer. It appears you could also use it for remote access (another system on your network). Neat.

Please Read Me

Comment

My deps (KDE neon) were shorter:

Code:
          cockpit cockpit-bridge cockpit-networkmanager cockpit-packagekit cockpit-storaged cockpit-system cockpit-ws
           cracklib-runtime libcrack2 libpwquality-common libpwquality-tools libpwquality1
          Last edited by claydoh; Apr 12, 2022, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Because I'm neater. I take out the trash like NM

Please Read Me

Comment

I don't have most of those extras installed at all, like libpwquality and libcrack2 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                Cockpit actually comes from Ubuntu 20.04's repositories (like all non-Plasma stuff), which makes it pretty easy to grab a newer version from the ubuntu-backports component.:

sudo apt install -t focal-backports cockpit this gets you version 264, if you want it.
                I saw that on an AskUbuntu answer and tried it.

Didn't work for me:
                sudo apt install -t focal-backports cockpit
                Reading package lists... Done
                E: The value 'focal-backports' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources
                I also tried adding
                Package: *
                Pin: release a=RELEASE-backports
                Pin-Priority: 500
                to /etc/apt/preferences.d/50-neon-ubuntu-release-upgrader but it didn't work either.
                Neither did apt-get install cockpit/focal-backports
                Gave me the same error.

Missing sauce? The line in sources.list.save that adds the focal-backports to the list of repositories. Then after the update the install of the 261 version proceeded nicely.
                Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 13, 2022, 06:23 AM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  I don't have most of those extras installed at all, like libpwquality and libcrack2 etc.
                  You're also probably on a laptop. @Here - desktop with static IP so most of the network tools are not needed and I'm OCD enough to bother to remove them.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X