This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Hosts <=> Remote Server

HOW do I set up Kubuntu so that all application data is stored on a remote server and not in the host computer?
    In other words, if I am running an Office suite, the user files are loaded and stored on a remote server. Or I download something from the net, the /download folder is on the server.

You can save files wherever you like, but you could also mount the remote directory on your system as ~/Downloads, or wherever.
    This can be awkward, if the share is slow or inaccessible at times, but overall would work fine.

You also can just set the remote mount in System Settings as your Downloads location. Fairly easy if you are using Samba
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220201_155315.png
Views:	136
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	660336

Some of this of course depends on what type of remote share is being used - setting permissions and the like.

Now, if sharing files between locations is the real intent, utilizing something like Syncthing or other Dropbox-like services can be an other option, which also would provide a backup, of sorts, since you would have two copies being synced.

Comment

Application "data" setting and such - is stored in your /home folder. Like you want your home duplicated across several computers so the idea is to have one /home on a server, then use it remotely on several computers?

Things to consider:
      Performance will suffer, greatly during large file operations.
      No network means no user log in.
      Configuration will be an issue unless all the computers are the exact same - like screen size, etc.

Now if you just want to share SOME data, you can mount folders anywhere you like. Data folders like /downloads is easy, just create a network folder and mount it everywhere.

You're gonna have to be more specific about what exactly you're trying to accomplish before any real answer will develop.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        You're gonna have to be more specific about what exactly you're trying to accomplish before any real answer will develop.
        On Windoze, I have my Office suite read / store all files on the remote server. In the [File Settings] I set up the default folder in the remote server.
        Computer A <==> Computer Server
        Is there some way to set the default folder for any installed program to link to the remote server?

Comment

Originally posted by jetgraphics View Post
          Is there some way to set the default folder for any installed program to link to the remote server?
          The specific application would need to have such a setting built in. Just save the file to the remote shared directory. Usually, the application will remember that, and keep using the same dir until you save something somewhere else.

However, looking at LibreOffice's help docs, and browsing the settings, it has similar settings. Go to Tools >> Options >> Paths

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220201_185033.png Views:	0 Size:	216.4 KB ID:	660342

I find other applications, such as video editors, have similar options. Not all applications will have such settings.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            However, looking at LibreOffice's help docs, and browsing the settings, it has similar settings. Go to Tools >> Options >> Paths
            Coincidentally, that's one of the my bugs with LibreOffice. When opening a file located on a remote Windows server, nothing happens. No file loaded. NO error message. But I can select the remote file in DISCOVER and it is opened in LibreOffice, and can be saved to the remote folder.
            (Sigh)

Comment

that's probably because Dolphin can actually mount network shares itself, and creates a momunt point for it.
              One option is to create a permanent mount point, so it becomes more or less like a physical drive.

But also, LO doesn't support opening remote files itself, when using file pickers other than its native ones. ie it won't work with KDE's file picker

https://help.libreoffice.org/6.2/he/...ER&System=UNIX

So, to use this feature, you would have to remove the KDE integration package, such as libreoffice-kde,libreoffice-kde5, or libreoffice-kf5, depending on which ones are present.

But creating a permanent mount point will probably be easier long term, if you don't want to have to use Dolphin every time to open the file, to overcome this limitation in LibreOffice

https://linuxhint.com/mount-smb-shares-on-ubuntu/
              https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-mou...hare-on-linux/
              Last edited by claydoh; Feb 02, 2022, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X