This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] copy entire disk

My PC is dual boot, win10 and Kub20.04 partitions, this is what I use every day. I need something that will copy the entire disk, including the grub and correct sequence. I tried Clonezilla and it copied both partitions perfectly to an external drive, but did not copy the grub. So the drive won't boot. I suppose I could try again, but just wondering if anyone else has done this with a different software? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance, J
    Last edited by Josephus; Nov 16, 2021, 08:40 PM.

Parts of GRUB exist outside the partitions. Clonezilla will work, but you have to do a whole disk copy not a partition copy.

Alternately, assuming you have already restored your partitions to your liking except without GRUB. You could manually boot to the kernel on the disk, then just run grub-install and install grub to the disk - done.

You can do this a couple ways - if you can install the drive along side the working drive in the same PC, boot to the working drive and install grub to the non-booting drive.

If you can't install both drives to the same PC, you can boot to a LiveUSB and install grub from it to the non-booting drive.

Please Read Me

Comment

As oshunluvr said, Clonezilla will do what you want, but you have to 'clone' the source to the target. The target drive has to be equal or lager in size than the source. When you clone a drive, Clonezilla verifies at the end that the cloned 'copy' is useable; that it will boot.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If the system is UEFI, and you copied the ESP correctly, IMO it should have worked. On a UEFI system there's the partition tables, the ESP, and the OS partitions. The only extra stuff is the NVRAM variables, and in principle these can be overridden at boot time.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

so you want to Duplicate a Disk ,,,, this is just what DD is for

https://linuxhint.com/clone-disk-using-dd-linux/

install/attach the new disk in/to the computer and use a live-USB to do the dd work ( I do not think I would try to clone/duplicate a running system)

you must be sure the source if=/dev/sdX is the dive with the systems on it , get it backwards and you will have 2 blank drives , oops

VINNY
          Last edited by vinnywright; Nov 12, 2021, 02:54 PM.
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X