This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] OS compatible with ASUS?

Building a new desktop PC (kind of urgently, old one is dead). I realize this is a broad question, but here goes:

Can I be certain that an ASUS motherboard (with Intel) is compatible with Kubuntu OS, say 20.04?
    The ASUS pdf listing is out of date.
    Crazy s**t: I 'heard' that some ASUS (like Z490) had LAN issues, solvable by using Windows, but no mention of Linux.

To be more specific, this may be my scenario:
    Motherboard, ASUS Prime Z590-P;
    (or, possibly ASUS Z490-A but the Z590-P would be a better value and smarter)

Sure could use any feedback or experience or even intuition you may have.

btw, I'm not gaming. Doing only desktop word processing, use of YouTube videos, that sort of pedestrian stuff.
    Last edited by Qqmike; Nov 25, 2021, 11:58 AM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

OS Support List from ASUS: https://www.asus.com/event/Server/OS...t_list/OS.html

And the first hit on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardwa...s_prime_z590p/
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 06, 2021, 12:23 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I can say I have Kubuntu 20.04 on an ASUS X551M laptop and it runs decently and no issues. Actually use it as a media center if that gives any indication. The processor isn't that fantastical either by my opinion and still runs no issues.

Comment

Thanks. I looked at the Reddit discussion before, and am not sure what to make of it. The ASUS support list is the one that is out of date. But thanks for ideas.
        Thanks also for the feedback re the ASUS laptop. Believe me, I've had the thought to just buy a machine off the shelf. But, I think I got one more build in me (at my age now), and will no doubt buy any future ones off the shelf.
        I'm still working/searching on this.
        Issues could be:
        LAN
        the ASUS board with Intel integrated graphics
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

None of your options are listed as compatible with Ubuntu through 19.04.
          Why the fixation on ASUS?
          Perhaps a mobo from another vendor that has a reputation for being Linux compatible?
          Here is a list of desktops that are compatible with Ubuntu 20.04. Find one that has the features you like or can afford and then find out what the mobo model number is and order it.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

None of your options are listed as compatible with Ubuntu through 19.04.
            What list is that?

Comment

What really is needed is to have a better idea are the individual components on the board - Ethernet and audio. It does not have wifi/Bluetooth, which eliminates the most common headache area (if this is desired, just get an Intel m.2)
              The Ethernet is Realtek, but not specified which one. Unlike Wifi, this company's wired chips seem to be among the It Just Works variety. Audio *should* also just work, but not knowing the specific parts, it is hard to be 100%.

The driver for the ethernet seems to be realtek fe/gbe, which should be fine on Ubuntu 20.04, now that it has a more recent kernel.

And if RGB control is a concern, OpenRGB should be useful.

Comment

claydoh, thanks. Here's all I can find re details on the mobo. I'm still in the planning/spec stage, haven't ordered anything.
                FWIW, I sent emails to 2 ASUS & PC DIY laymen "experts" I know. They both have had good DIY experience with ASUS mobos, didn't expect any troubles except possibly (but not likely) what you pinpointed; but they have been able to get by with generic drivers, as needed. They did mention it helps that I'm looking at mobo, cpu, and memory that have been around quite awhile.

I changed up to an ASUS Prime Z590-P mobo.

CPU:
                Intel Core i7-10700 Comet Lake 8-Core 2.9 GHz LGA 1200 65W BX8070110700 Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

Memory:
                Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 UDIMM, CT2K16G4DFD8266

Realtek 2.5 Gb Ethernet -- that's all the details I can find anywhere.

Audio:
                Realtek ALC897 7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC
                - Supports: Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
                - Supports up to 24-Bit/192 kHz playback"
                Audio Features
                - Audio Shielding
                - Rear optical S/PDIF out port
                - Premium Japanese audio capacitors
                - Dedicated audio PCB layers

Wireless and Bluetooth
                "V-M.2 slot only (Key E, CNVi & PCIe)*
                * Wi-Fi module and vertical M.2 Key E bracket set are purchased separately."

The spec page:
                https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...90-P/techspec/

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  What list is that?
                  The 2020 list hasn't been posted yet. The following is the most recent I found:
                  https://dlcdnimgs.asus.com/websites/...ort_201911.pdf
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

IMO, the brand of the mobo isn't important. The Chipset is the most important and the additional hardware (ethernet, wifi, audio, etc.) follow that. Beyond the components, specific options like surround sound and other come after. In my case, the fingerprint reader on my Lenovo laptop does not work with Linux and likely never will.

Really, unless someone else has already done it and documented it, the only way I know of is to research each specific part of the mobo and hope you can find info.

An initial search reveals some issue with the Z590 and some specific video: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1332...0-mother-board

This can be a good source, but you're at the mercy of contributors: https://linux-hardware.org/?d=Ubuntu

Please Read Me

Comment

To GG and Oshunluvr ... "Yes" ... Ha! Everyone is correct. But those lists are questionable (source, timing, testing method, etc.). I woke up feeling kind of like claydoh and oshunluvr re this issue. Now, I * did * give more info to claydoh in my post above re details, such as they are.

One can also stand back and take a bird's eye view: If a 6-12 month old mobo/cpu/memory combo with Ubuntu/Kubuntu, especially the mobo, has NOT blown up in the Linux world, chances are it is known that the mobo works. As for specific, specialized components, that could be another issue, as osunluvr & claydoh indicate. In oshuluvr's post, that guy is messing with MSI, M.2, some GRUB thing, and it looks like a weak/failing power supply (and the gods only know what else is in his box).

Best case for a new builder might be something like this:
                      I am building such and such. Anyone else do this, too, successfully?
                      And you get a "Yeah, no problems" for an answer. That's kind of the responses I got from my two "expert" Linux pals by email (both are ASUS fans, btw) -- they have never had a serious issue they couldn't solve.

Since there is nothing wild and glaring opposing my plan -- which is a simple, basic, mainstream build with a known Linux-friendly mobo maker -- I can only just build it and see what happens. I do, though, desperately need a main machine here soon! I am typing from my 2009 build with Kubuntu 14.04, and it works great, but too hesitant, iffy, slow, and it may fail at any second (and I have various small issues going on with it). Btw, the machine that died is a 2015 build. And so it goes. The 2009 build is still fine.

Thanks, everyone. Any other ideas, please drop them here. I'm still not ready to place any orders just yet. I did rescue my HDD from the dead machine -- simply by putting it in an old HD external enclosure, USB2 with a USB2-to-USB3 connector! and plugging that into my 14.04 which picked it up immediately and I could copy everything off the old HDD (into 14.04 and then onto other flashdrives etc.).

Btw, basically I * believe * I could save my dead PC IF I could get a display on the monitor (which is damaged by a damaged BIOS). I need to re-flash the BIOS but can't do that without a display! Yeah, I googled this. On some high-end ASUS boards, you can simply plug your BIOS flashdrive into the mobo, let the light start flashing, when the light stops flashing, you have successfully flashed the BIOS. I could screw around with trying to fix that old board. Just as easy to re-build, and future-proof a little. I got a LOT of use out of the old machine, it doesn't owe me a penny.

Comment

I want to (tentatively!) conclude this topic. I will probably post separate notes on this new PC build and startup later, sometimes.
                        But for now, my project seems to be just fine: K20.04 seems to get along well with the PC components I chose.

Those components are:

Motherboard $179 ASUS Prime Z590-P LGA 1200 (Intel 11th/10th Gen) ATX Motherboard
                        CPU $219 Intel Core i5-10500 - 10th Gen Comet Lake 6-Core 3.1 GHz LGA 1200 65W Intel UHD Graphics 630
                        Memory $139 Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 UDIMM, CT2K16G4DFD8266

and, for those interested in the overall DIY build:
                        Case $95 Corsair 4000D Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX PC Case - White
                        Storage $65 Samsung 870 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E500B/AM)
                        Monitor $139 Asus VA24EHE 23.8” Monitor, 1080P, Full HD, IPS, 75Hz, HDMI D-Sub DVI-D,
                        Power Supply $120 Corsair RMX Series, RM750x, 750 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Ful Modular PS (CP-9020179-NA)
                        Speakers $20 Logitech 3.5mm Jack Compact Laptop Speakers, Black (Z130)

I must say, ASUS (motherboard) is really, really great; even appears to be targeted toward Linux somewhat -- the UEFI BIOS settings were NOT totally focused on Windows, but allowed options like "Other OS" and helpful hints at Secure Boot and such. This has been my experience. GG seems to have another experience with ASUS. My two PC DIY experts chimed in and said they'd be surprised to ever encounter problems with Linux versus ASUS mobo's (one of those guys is a computer science geek at Sandia National Labs; the other is a consultant here). Of course, as we all know all too well, anything is possible from year to year, from time to time, with ANY vendor. Maybe more later, sometime. I'm still setting up the OS.
                        Last edited by Qqmike; Nov 25, 2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

This video was just released 3 hours ago. It's about mobo performance. It includes the Prime Z590-P, which didn't fair too well.
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 25, 2021, 03:26 PM.

Comment

We have much better luck out here in NM.

Comment

GG, I watched every minute of that video. It's not relevant here to the issue of Linux compatibility. The enthusiast/gamer market is yet another issue. Fact is, ASUS is also well known in that market and caters to every whim, including friendly, overclocking EFI BIOS support and DIY niche(s). And fact is, several of those boards did fairly well, very slim margins in many cases, I didn't see anything 'wrong' with the Prime Z590-P overall. In the gamer market, there are far too many quirky variables for one video to cover. He was also looking for a "value" board versus performance. Again, the issue of this thread is not value or performance; but positive arguments can be made for several of those boards along the lines of HIS criteria (including the ASUS Prime Z590-P). The presenter just happened to ... pick one. A good gamer may be able to pick any one, and make it do what he/she wants it to do (again, performance wise). Video has nothing to do with Linux compatibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X