Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Print to FIle permissions problem, or is it NFSv4?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Print to FIle permissions problem, or is it NFSv4?

I've done some web searching but no solutions yet:

Server running 14.04 with NFSv4 export set as:
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]/exports 192.168.1.0/24(rw,fsid=0,crossmnt,no_subtree_check,async,secure,nohide,all_squash,anonuid=65534,anongid=560)[/COLOR]
    [/FONT]
    Client fstab mount as:
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]server:/ /shared nfs4 auto,bg,soft,timeo=5,retrans=5,actimeo=10,retry=5,users,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,noatime,x-systemd.automount 0 0[/COLOR]
    [/FONT]
    The goal is when I or any users save a file on the server, I want the user to be "NOBODY" and group 560 = "SHARE" and have permissions of the files to be -rw-rw-r-- or 0664 in octal.
    This seems to work perfectly from Dolphin, from Office when using Export to PDF, using cp in the terminal, etc. Everywhere I've tested EXCEPT "Print to PDF" from a browser. I've tried it from Chromium and from Vivialdi and both of them result in the file having permissions set at -rw------- or 0600, which means I can't access it until I log into the server and change the permissions.

This is beginning to bug me...

EDIT: To be more precise, it's printing to PDF from Gmail from the browser.

EDIT 2: Just verified this happens regardless of save location so I struck out the NFS part. I just hadn't noticed when I saved it locally because the permissions didn't matter.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Feb 28, 2017, 01:10 PM.

Please Read Me

There is a workaround.

Instead of using Print > PDF, choose Print > Print to File and select PDF as the Output format and select the location you want the file 'printed' to. I tested it here, and the results are a .pdf file with -rw-rw-r-- permissions, as opposed to -rw------- you get for the .pdf created with the straight Print > PDF.

I don't know why the results are different, but it might be worth reporting as a bug.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I don't see those options as you describe them. Here, I can select Print from the browser, then choose to "Print using system dialog" or use CTRL+Shift+p to bring up the system print dialog, but from there you're correct - save as PDF worked with proper permissions. Strange.

I'm using Vivaldi which is based on Chromium so I posted at their forum. Chrome and it's derivatives have a built-in print dialog that includes PDF and net printing options. The might explain the difference above and certainly is the cause of the problem.

I'm assuming there's someplace I can go edit and fix this, but maybe not. I'm so used to Linux now I expect everything to be user-editable...

Please Read Me

Comment

I was using Firefox at here.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X