X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FreeDOS 1dot 2 is released

http://www.freedos.org/

FreeDOS is a complete, free, DOS-compatible operating system that you can use to play classic DOS games, run legacy business software, or develop embedded systems. Any program that works on MS-DOS should also run on FreeDOS.
    FreeDOS 1.2 features an all-new installer that makes it easy to install FreeDOS. After you install FreeDOS, try the FDIMPLES program to install new programs or to remove any you don't want. FDIMPLES makes it easy to customize your FreeDOS the way you want it.
    Now I am going to see if my 33 year old copy of savvy.com will run!

EDIT:
    DL's it. It contains a readme file, an img file and a vmdk file, which contains the following:
    Code:
    # Disk DescriptorFile
    version=1
    encoding="UTF-8"
    CID=d7397b6c
    parentCID=ffffffff
    isNativeSnapshot="no"
    createType="monolithicFlat"

# Extent description
    RW 1048576 FLAT "FD12FULL.img" 0

# The Disk Data Base

ddb.adapterType = "ide"
    ddb.geometry.cylinders = "1040"
    ddb.geometry.heads = "16"
    ddb.geometry.sectors = "63"
    ddb.virtualHWVersion = "11"
    ddb.uuid.parent="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
    ddb.uuid.parentmodification="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
    ddb.geometry.biosCylinders="520"
    ddb.geometry.biosHeads="32"
    ddb.geometry.biosSectors="63"
    I installed VirtualBox and using that vmdk it created a 512MB ide virtual drive which automatically installed the img file, which was in the same directory. Looked exactly like the MSDOS 6.2 that I last used. It has a couple dozen preinstalled DOS games. I unzipped WINGS and ran the WING.EXE. It hung my mouse and keyboard. Probably misconfigured my mouse or display. Oh well.

So, I deleted it and VirtualBox.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Dec 25, 2016, 05:42 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

look

I see a very old computer program

Zork anyone? LOL...

Please Read Me

Comment

Zork!! ;d

Comment

Wow, Zork, that brings back memories. Now, side question. Are they still shipping FreeDOS with new computers that don't come with Windows, or did Microsoft finally drop that ridiculous licensing requirement that an OS be included with every shipped PC, even if it's not Windows? Because that's how I got introduced to it. Bought a laptop for my mom and got it shipped to us with FreeDOS (might even have been PCdos, I'm not sure). Kind of an interesting program, even if it is limited in what it can do. ^_^

Comment

Working...
        X