This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU Frequency and CPUfrequtils

Was going to add to this thread but it was closed. There was a HOW TO as well that was closed.

Regardless to that, I'm adding here for those who may still want to use CPUfrequtils and set to performance.

After much seraching and working on why I could no longer set these, it turns out the kernel controls this mostly now. So, to get that working again edit (as root) /etc/default/grub to look like the below:

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash intel_pstate=disable"
    After saving and making sure you followed the above link on how to setup for CPUfrequtils run in konsole
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Reboot and you should be good to go. At least that worked wonderfully here.

Yup.

I have a first-generation i7 laptop that doesn't use pstate and a fourth-generation i7 laptop under the Christmas tree. I already disabled intel_pstate with a kernel argument even though my current laptop doesn't support it.

Plan is to take the SSD from my current laptop and install it in the new one. Networking is Intel on both machines, video is Nvidia and I use nouveau so no driver issues. It *should* be pretty much plug and play.

I only use two power profiles; performance and powersave, depending on whether the laptop is running on battery. I'm still a big fan of cpufrequtils and laptop-mode-tools to do power management
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Yep, it should be up to me how my system runs. If I want the full CPU then give it!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
        Was going to add to this thread but it was closed.
        I recently had a MOD created for me (vBulletin Forums) that 'auto-closes' threads based on how long it has been since the last post was made. That period of inactivity is currently set to one year. This prevents 'necroposting'.

Any such thread can be reopened if you ask. Just PM myself, Open Source, claydoh, or SteveRiley.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I understand the need for that. I think this way works. I linked it over so any searches I hope will see mine. I tried to title this thread so it would.

Comment

And that was my intent, really. Open a new thread and link to the one that is closed. It keeps things nice and clean. But as I said, if the thread in question really should be reopened, just ask.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Since I have a desktop, I always wondered why I would want throttling. However, the power management - when it works - makes sense to me these days. I have new and newish hardware and the power management schemes seem to work fine (unnoticed by me) and in the case of the GPU - helps keep fan speed and thus noise down. Generally, cooler components live longer also.

All that aside - we should all be in control of our own systems 100%.

Please Read Me

Comment

Oh, and since we're talking about CPUs, consider this: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...rovide-results!
                Last edited by oshunluvr; Dec 09, 2016, 01:54 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Gonna share a post from the Debian forums I made sometime ago, long, but this is what I was doing *without* pstate

On battery:

CPU governor: powersave
                  Screen brightness: 80%
                  I did have to turn off USB powersave because I use an external mouse; I could have just whitelisted that USB ID but it made more sense to me to leave the USB ports on as internal SD card reader is also USB, and being able to use a flash drive kinda made sense

On mains power:

CPU governor: ondemand
                  CPU scale up threshold: 25%
                  CPU scale down polling interval: 0.4 sec
                  CPU ignore nice load (don't count background processes in CPU load calculation)
                  Screen brightness: 100%
                  Here's the thread - the awesomeness that is laptop-mode-tools

That's where I started. Ran great but generated a lot of heat when on mains power. What I do these days is a lot simpler; using tlp to switch between performance and powersave and letting kde manage screen brightness and some other stuff.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

Steve's warning should be noted: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post345159
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      Think what I'll do is some real-world benchmarking with and without pstate
                      -- anais nin

Comment

From what I tested I got only slightly (i mean slightly) better performance and "Speed Boost" does not work so you can't access those higher CPU rates.

Comment

This was a pretty good read -

kernel documentation on Intel pstate driver

There are tunables so there's still something for me to play with
                          -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                          X