This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting a 3 TB HDD?

Is there and problem (in Linux) mounting a 3 TB hard drive? This question was put to me by a friend this morning. I can only think of possible filesystem issues, but otherwise have no hands-on experience. As a detail (which may or may not be important), this drive would not be an operating system drive that's initiated during boot; it would be a data drive. (Again, I wouldn't think that should be important either way.) We will appreciate any input you have time to share. Thanks.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

I have a 2 TB hard drive and haven't had any problems with it. Ive had it for a couple years and use it as a data drive to store music. From what I remember, I simply plugged it in, added it to fstab and it was ready to go.

Comment

Yes, and actually this new 3 TB hard drive will be replacing an existing 2 TB hard drive.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

you will have to use GUID formating . and you might need EFI for hdd over 2TB.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Yeah, with the 2 TB limit on MBRs, that calls for a GPT.

Any other experience or issues with this that you guys see?

Comment

Mounting a 3 TB HDD?

"That's a barn! I'll never fill it up!", said a client of mine after I installed his first 5MB HD on his IBM PC. He filled it, IIRC, in six months, and I replaced it with a 10MB, then a year later with a couple of 20MB's, then he died.

Edit: He died of heart failure, not HD failure! He had only an eighth grade education but he was one of the smartest men I ever knew.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 21, 2016, 08:59 AM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

So we conclude then that to use and mount the 4 TB HDD (in say Kubuntu, Mint, Ubuntu), you just need a GPT on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                So we conclude then that to use and mount the 4 TB HDD (in say Kubuntu, Mint, Ubuntu), you just need a GPT on it?
                Yeah, but as GG pointed out replacing hard drives will eventually kill you. I'd be careful.

we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Good point.

Comment

LOL wizard10000,

Mike: In case it's a factor, you can use GPT formatting even on a computer that has BIOS that doesn't support it, but an issue appears only if you are going to boot from the GPT drive.

Grub won't install to a GPT drive on a legacy BIOS computer so you have to make a GRUB partition that's 512kb or more and use type EF02 (BIOS boot partition). Mine looks like this:

Code:
                    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]stuart@office:~$ sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda[/COLOR]
                    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.1

Partition table scan:
                      MBR: protective
                      BSD: not present
                      APM: not present
                      GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
                    Disk /dev/sda: 1953525168 sectors, 931.5 GiB
                    Logical sector size: 512 bytes
                    Disk identifier (GUID): 512242D7-F3BB-4EA1-914B-CEDA513DAB26
                    Partition table holds up to 128 entries
                    First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 1953525134
                    Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
                    Total free space is 7 sectors (3.5 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
                       1              34            2047   1007.0 KiB  EF02  BIOS boot partition
                       2            2048       419430400   200.0 GiB   8300  Linux filesystem
                       3       419430408      1953525134   731.5 GiB   8300  Linux filesystem 
                    [/FONT]

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks, oshunluvr.

Comment

Working...
                      X