X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Linux rootkit discovered

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31169...m-and-x86.html
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Interesting read. This paragraph:
    It seems that the rootkit was designed for manual installation, which means that attackers install it on systems manually after compromising them through other vulnerabilities.
    leads me to believe it's not much of a threat to users like most of us. It's more of a threat to devices not regularly updated like, as the article states, routers, cameras, and other devices running linux firmware.

Please Read Me

Comment

That's what I thought as well. The weakest link in any security system is the user. The older and more forgetful I become the more worried i am!

In another thread I detail a problem I encountered this morning after running rkhunter, out of curiosity to see if it would detect anything. It didn't but it encountered significant problems which ended up blowing away my neon desktop. I am recovering it now, as I type.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Hmm, I've had no issues with it.

Please Read Me

Comment

I restored the deleted files and rebooted. My Plama desktop appeared in about the usual time: three or so minutes from power on to a working desktop.
          It is still sluggish, with Dolphin opening in root taking about 30 seconds to appear, then it takes another 10-15 seconds before the controls are active.

I am thinking seriously about doing a re-install.

Comment

Working...
          X