Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Earth now available pre-packaged for 16.04 64 Bit... Whaa???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Earth now available pre-packaged for 16.04 64 Bit... Whaa???

One of the issues we've all struggled with since leaving Windoez is lack of support or availability for many cool things, like GoogleEarth.

Well check this out: https://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

I just selected 64-but Ubuntu, downloaded the package, installed it (and 30 dependencies) and bam! It just works!

Please Read Me

If Google are going to target any release for fixing the dependency and running problems, then it makes the greatest sense for this to be on Xenial 16.04.x as the latest LTS.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I downloaded the 64bit debian version and ran it off of Dolphin using QtApt. It said all dependencies were satisfied.
      I clicked on the menu entry and it came up, but the map was a black screen and none of the controls would work, not even the "X" button.
      It timed out and I opened a Konsole and ran it using dbus-run-session and GoogleEarth came up quickly and ran normally.
      I closed that instance and tried the menu again. It, too, came up and ran normally.

An aside: It found my googlefiles directory and installed all of my previous markers, including my "Home" and when the map displayed it zoomed in on my garage door.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Seems you've got a dbus issue GG. I had no trouble. I'm running Neon from scratch.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, after playing awhile with it, it got laggy when I tried to zoom in on a small town in SW France that I had stayed in a few years ago. I'm not sure if the lag was related to something else or not - I had to get back to work!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X