This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Printer problem

Until today my printer was working fine. It still is, for I printed a test page, and it printed perfectly. But I cannot print anything from within Writer or Firefox (a web page). The test page that I printed shows as a completed job in the printer-queue's list of completed jobs, but nothing else I have tried to print today shows at all in the printer queue. As far as I can tell, the printer is configured properly (driver, etc.). I have not messed with printer settings at all since I printed some documents Thursday. Everything then was working great. The print jobs are just not getting sent to the print queue. Has anyone any idea as to what the problem may be? I'm out of ideas.

Have you rebooted at all since this issue arose?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes. I rebooted, but that did not solve the problem; so I turned off the computer and restarted it. that too did not solve the problem. I'm sorry--I should have included this info in my initial description of the problem.

Comment

I should add that the printer (HP Laset Jet 1022) is "ready." By that I mean that its has gone thru its self test, checked to see if the printer is loaded with paper, etc,, and the printer's green light is on thus showing that the printer is ready to print.

Comment

I deleted the printer and reinstalled it. The problem remains.

Comment

I found the problem: a stupid oversight on my part. The print dialog presents a list of printers. Mine lists 3 items. For some reason, the wrong item in that list was selected. That spot is the first place I should have looked!!! Shame on me!

Comment

Glad it was something easily fixed.

Comment

Thanks--I am too. A few words in self-defense: Two of the 3 entries in the list of printers stem from 1 unit: an all-in-one ink-jet device. When I bought it some 10 years ago, I used it as a printer, but the cost of the ink cartridges caused me to buy an HP LaserJet 1022 printer. Once I bought that laser printer, the other device I used only to scan in things and as a fax machine. But I recently terminated my land line; so that unit now is used only as a scanner. So for the past 7 or 8 years, the only printer I have used is the LaserJet 1022. So I largely forgot about that list of "printers" in the print dialog box. That's the reason for me not looking at that list any sooner than I did. I must have inadvertently changed the active printer from the LaserJet to the all-in-one device. I surely did not do it intentionally, for as I say, I have not used any printer other than the Laser Jet for 7 or 8 years.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by wtb32141 View Post
                    Thanks--I am too. A few words in self-defense: Two of the 3 entries in the list of printers stem from 1 unit: an all-in-one ink-jet device. When I bought it some 10 years ago, I used it as a printer, but the cost of the ink cartridges caused me to buy an HP LaserJet 1022 printer. Once I bought that laser printer, the other device I used only to scan in things and as a fax machine. But I recently terminated my land line; so that unit now is used only as a scanner. So for the past 7 or 8 years, the only printer I have used is the LaserJet 1022. So I largely forgot about that list of "printers" in the print dialog box. That's the reason for me not looking at that list any sooner than I did. I must have inadvertently changed the active printer from the LaserJet to the all-in-one device. I surely did not do it intentionally, for as I say, I have not used any printer other than the Laser Jet for 7 or 8 years.
                    I don't believe you have to have the printer-side installed to use the scanner. At least they use different drivers and configs. Seems like you should be able to delete the printer from cups and still scan from it.

Please Read Me

Comment

A very good point that had escaped me. You are correct. I deleted the 2 other "printers", and the scan function worked perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X