This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btrfs filesystem movement and error catching

I wanted to re-align my SSDs partitioning (actually, create some). Problem was I had both disks in use as a single btrfs filesystem without any partitioning. Not being one to take the traditional path - backup, partition, re-install, restore - I decided to see if I could do this while still using the system. I didn't want Vinny to have more fun than me, so I did it

Please remember I did all this while running from the install on these disks and without rebooting;

First, I deleted almost all snapshots and an old install I no longer had interest in. This minimized the amount of data that had to be moved and insured that there was enough space to hold all the data on a single disk.

Then I removed a device (SSD1) using "btrfs device delete...".

Once complete (an hour, maybe less), I partitioned SSD1 to my liking and then added the free space no in a partition back to the btrfs volume with "btrfs device add..."

A while later I saw the operation was complete. Now here I made a mistake: I assumed I could convert to RAID1 - thus coping the data to both devices - and then just delete SSD2. This isn't allowed (although I can't see why not) so I wasted the time on the balance command only to have to do it all again. This time, I converted it to "single" using "btrfs balance -dsingle -msingle..." and then deleted device SSD2. This moved all data to SSD1. In the future, I would just add the device, then delete the other without a balance in between. The add operation doesn't move data by itself, but the delete operation would have moved all the data automatically.

Then I partitioned SSD2 to my liking and added the partition back to the btrfs filesystem with another "device add" command. I re-balanced to RAID0 for data and RAID1 for metadata as this is recommended, but I'm not sure why. I guess if a drive failed, you could recover partial files. Maybe it's for performance. Done.

One note: Although I did this while using the system, the device deleting and balance commands take a considerable amount of computing power. My system ran noticeably much slower.

Error catching

After this was completed, I decided to check the file system. This is the only btrfs operation you can't do while it's mounted. So I booted to an alternate install on a hard drive (a live CD/USB would work just as well) and ran:

btrfs check <DEVICE>where device is the partition (or whole disk volume) to check.

and to my surprise I had 10 errors reported that looked like this:

root 1215 inode 234095 errors 400, nbytes wrong

The error repeated 10 times with 5 having the root ID 1215 and 5 having 1321, and 5 different inode IDs each repeated on both root IDs. In other words; five bad inodes in two subvolumes. This means I had five files with possible corruption in two different subvolumes. But since the inode IDs matched - it clearly was a volume and a snapshot of that volume - so really only 5 files were affected. This might have come from the earlier operations I outlined above, but it's just as likely that they were caused by several lockups I've had recently requiring a hard reset.

Btrfs does have a repair utility but it's not often useful and sometimes not even recommended for use. It's really still under development. I tried it anyway but it didn't change anything. I re-mounted the filesystem and now I needed to see what files were at issue. This command shows the exact file that has the error:

btrfs inspect-internal inode-resolve <INODE> <PATH>

with INODE being the inode ID from the check error and path the location where the filesystem is mounted. All five files were small text files in /var/lib/bluetooth/<MAC ADDRESS>/. Visual inspection showed no real corruption of the files, so I tried simply copied the files off the drive, deleted the originals, and copied them back. Volia, I ran the check again and the errors were gone. Had they been more critical files or larger I might have taken a different approach, but this worked and was easy for these small text files.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Feb 24, 2015, 08:17 AM.

Please Read Me

Awwwwsome ,,,,,,, this btrfs lends it's self to SO much geeky fun ,,,,,,,,, their seams to be enough for both of us ......

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
    X