This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] backup to second hard drive

Have acquired a send hard drive and installed it. It shows as "/dev/sdb1" and the main partition is labeled "back1"
    I wish to use rsync to maintain a daily backup but don't how to do it, in particular, I don't know how to reference the new drive.
    Any advice would be welcome

Kubuntu 13.04

I'd recommend using a gui front-end to rsync called Back In Time.

I have it set up to do daily backups to my second internal drive. It makes differential backups of files and you can go back in time (hence the name) and restore previous versions of your files very easily. It's very clever in how it works by using hard links to files and uses minimal drive space. Read about it here: http://backintime.le-web.org/
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thanks Rod - looks good.
      But, having installed it from Synaptic, it loads and drops out without anything happening
      Will look for further info on this

Comment

Try launching it from a terminal to see what errors it reports.

I suggest looking at rdiff-backup also. No GUI, but easy to use and can be easily automated with a cron job.

Please Read Me

Comment

running backintime from terminal - nothings seemed to happen, just:-
          Version: 1.0.10

Back In Time comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
          This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
          under certain conditions; type `backintime --license' for details.

Installed backintime-gnome then noticed a system request to reboot.

Restarted and was able to run backintime from Applications Launch Bar.

I suspect that my second hard drive doesn't have full permissions - so am playing with that now.

Comment

Did you install the backintime-kde package too? That's the one to use for our KDE based systems.

How are you mounting your second hard drive? I have set up my second hard drive partitions to be mounted at system start. In the Systems Settings, Removable Devices section I have ticked in the "Automount on Login" column the partitions I want mounted all the time. I know there are other ways of mounting partitions but this was the easiest way for me.

I'm using 12.04 so it may be different in 13.04.

Also, what file system(s) are on your second hard drive? Back In Time will work with NTFS but you'd be better off using a Linux file system such as ext4. FAT file system doesn't support hard links so I would definitely avoid that one.
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

No didn't install backintime-kde.ut curiously, have three backintimes (one is -root) shown in the Applications Launcher plus Meld & Nautilus Actions Configuration Tool!
              My second HD is fixed, filesystem is ext4. Don't know if it mount at boot, suspect Dolphin makes a temporary mount.
              I intend to re-install Kubuntu and can copy files to 2nd HD using Dolphin to backup everything.
              Will report progress
              Thanks

Comment

OK, found out how to change permissions on second hard drive and got BackInTime working.
                Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                X