Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the modern world, how can a computer be seen as a luxury item!? Having a computer, today, is a necessity. Why not ask your members of Parliament to give up their PCs; Smart Phones; Tablets; etc., as of course, they aren't necessities; they are 'luxuries'.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The only VAT here is a vat of moonshine. But do have sales tax.
      Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
      Always consider Occam's Razor
      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
        RE hard drive space, that's a good point. Most of my HDD space on this laptop is taken up with media files and data...
        I think the best storage for a laptop owner is a good USB drive. Amazon USA ( ) has a "Military Specs" water and drop proof USB 3.0 1TB drive for like $85us. Cheap insurance and data loss and totally portable.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
          The only VAT here is a vat of moonshine. But do have sales tax.
          Hahaha. Gotta power the Camaro with something.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            In the modern world, how can a computer be seen as a luxury item!? Having a computer, today, is a necessity. Why not ask your members of Parliament to give up their PCs; Smart Phones; Tablets; etc., as of course, they aren't necessities; they are 'luxuries'.
            Yeah I know what you mean, although everyone has access to computers for free at libraries, and most people buy the best laptop they can afford, even though a 10yr old machine would probably work. I'm actually not sure if all computers are taxed or not, maybe there's a budget line that isn't?

Raspberry pi should be tax free
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              I think the best storage for a laptop owner is a good USB drive. Amazon USA ( ) has a "Military Specs" water and drop proof USB 3.0 1TB drive for like $85us. Cheap insurance and data loss and totally portable.
              So cheap!

I have to say, carrying around an extra thing and having it stick out of my laptop would annoy me. What do you do with it when it's actually on your lap? Let it dangle? (Go on, Steve, there's a joke there somewhere)...

Easy to damage the USB port by knocking it, too...
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Most people I see don't actually use their laps for their laptops except when travelling, but playing along: How about a wifi enabled portable drive? They're out there. Or if your storage needs range in the single digit GB's - one of those new super-mini USB sticks that barely shows.

Besides, if you're really traveling and working - likely you could stand not having all 1TB of your media at your fingertips during your half hour wait at the airport. The application I was thinking of was to replace a large amount of storage for content. Even a 32GB ssd would have enough room for working folders.

Wait, I know! A ball cap with a hard drive in it! You could run the cable down the back of your jacket and out the sleeve! Plus, there'd be no extra "dangle" in your lap... LOL

Please Read Me

Comment

Oh yeah!!
                  Attached Files
                  Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                  Rich

Comment

See? Rich has a dangle...

Please Read Me

Comment

Haha that looks awkward!

"Most people don't use their laptops on their laps" says the desktop user

Mine is on my lap ~90% of the time I'm using it.

How do those WiFi drives work? Is it just standard NAS, or is the WiFi connection direct? If the second, how do you connect to a network and the drive at the same time? If you mean the former, what's the difference with OwnCloud/DropBox/Google Drive?

I have some micro 32GB Corsair flash drives, but would still be concerned about them jutting out and getting knocked -they still stick out about an inch.

Besides, if you're really traveling and working - likely you could stand not having all 1TB of your media at your fingertips during your half hour wait at the airport.
                      I'm from the interwebz generation, I've been spoiled and now I want access to everything all the time

Half an hour is optimistic!!
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Oops! Was my dangle showing?
                        Rich

Comment

Says the kid who won't go buy a desk already...

Actually, I wasn't really thinking about it at the time: I doubt there are any wireless drives that are also portable. EDIT: Seagate Satellite - 7 hr's battery life, but only 300GB. Still, it's possible.

This should work though, 64GB and barely sticks out:
                          http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer...usb+drive+mini
                          Last edited by oshunluvr; Jan 31, 2014, 01:21 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
                            Oops! Was my dangle showing?
                            Haha that looks awkward!
                            Well, that's because the angle of his dangle is wrong. Speaking as another laptop = workspace guy, I've learned it's important to allow the contents of your lap to rest at their natural full and upright position. Oh, wait, that's only during take-off and landing. I always get them mixed up.

Hope you've already had all the children you want. Too many more hours of that and your kids will come out with three eyes and six fingers.

Half an hour is optimistic!!
                            Huh, who wastes a half hour at the airport? Me: curb drop-off -> TSA Pre-check -> north satellite tram -> gate -> seat 2C all in 15-20 minutes. Yes, it's good to be the {diamond | platinum | iridium} king.

Comment

Huh, who wastes a half hour at the airport? Me: curb drop-off -> TSA Pre-check -> north satellite tram -> gate -> seat 2C all in 15-20 minutes. Yes, it's good to be the {diamond | platinum | iridium} king.
                              and it's good to fly out of smallish airports!

For me: LGB - 10 minutes, curb to gate, LAX - 2 hours no matter what time of day or special passes you have.

I friggin' hate LAX. We're flying to the East coast next weekend, so LAX it is. At least it's a red-eye.

Please Read Me

Comment

LAX - 2 hours no matter what time of day or special passes you have...I friggin' hate LAX.
                                That you can't move from terminal to terminal without going through security another time is a poor design. Also, have you noticed the armed glass doors in the gate hallways that lead directly to the street? I cannot believe these doors exist. I've often seen airport personnel enter and exit through these doors. Shouldn't they have to go through security to be in the "sterile" area each time like the rest of us do?

Comment

Working...
                                X