X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu turns to crowdfunding

From the BBC:

The developer of the Ubuntu operating system has turned to a crowdfunding site in an attempt to launch a handset pre-installed with its software.

London-based Canonical is seeking to raise $32m (£20.8m) over the next 30 days to produce 40,000 devices.

To succeed it needs to raise several times more cash than any other crowd-financed project has done before.

However, one market watcher said even if succeeds, the mobile OS would probably still struggle to gain ground.

Canonical has said that if it manages to hit its goal using Indiegogo's website it plans to deliver the phones to qualifying backers by May 2014.
    Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23402994

Indigogo site: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

What this tells me is that Ubuntu is having a very hard time getting hardware makers on board. Although I would like them to be successful, I seriously doubt that Ubuntu will raise a million dollars a day.

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
    What this tells me is that Ubuntu is having a very hard time getting hardware makers on board. Although I would like them to be successful, I seriously doubt that Ubuntu will raise a million dollars a day.
    I'm not sure what I make of this.

$2.5m have been raised in just eight hours but I'm sure the donations, contributions or whatever will soon start to slow down. I had thought about getting involved myself but at a price of $600 or $830 after the first 24 hours, I think I'd rather buy a new PC or laptop. No matter how good a mobile phone is it is never going to replace whatever I have at home. Yes, I know there's a docking mode but there is a limit to what I can deal with these days.

My current Android phone does what I need it to do at a fraction of the cost. I can log in to my PC remotely and perform basic maintenance. I can do the same with my VPS in Amsterdam. I can play my favourite music for hours on end and edit spreadsheets etc. Presumably anything Canonical have on offer will do the same but better.

Anyway I'm getting old. May be I would think differently if I was a third of my age with lots of friends all trying to be the one with the best technology in his or her pocket.

I wish Canonical every success but does it run Kubuntu?

Comment

What it tells me is that Shuttlesworth doesn't want to risk his own money if he can avoid it.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm one who enjoys esthetics, especially in technology: beauty PLUS function. The design of the Ubuntu Edge, for me, is quite attractive.

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U View Post
          $2.5m have been raised in just eight hours but I'm sure the donations, contributions or whatever will soon start to slow down.
          I'm certain most of the early bids come from "sources close to Canonical" to create initial lift. No one in their right mind would spend 600/800$ to buy a future prototype phone from a struggling company. The phone will be basically Android with beta quality (at best) ubuntu option. And it'll probably be a brick after a while as no repair shop in the world knows how to fix it (if they could get spare parts from somewhere).

I'd say the whole idea is another "publicity stunt".
          Last edited by kubicle; Jul 23, 2013, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Hm......

Comment

Love it, Steve - LOL

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                I'm certain most of the early bids come from "sources close to Canonical" to create initial lift. No one in their right mind would spend 600/800$ to buy a future prototype phone from a struggling company. The phone will be basically Android with beta quality (at best) ubuntu option. And it'll probably be a brick after a while as no repair shop in the world knows how to fix it (if they could get spare parts from somewhere).
                i think it's a portable desktop PC that can also be used as a phone. it runs desktop applicaitons right?

Comment

I wonder are we now going to see a series of limited availability special offers to ensure that the target is reached on time?

Ubuntu Edge Prices Lowered, Devices Available from $625

Prices lowered to $625, $675 and $725. I'd be annoyed if I had just contributed $830 and minutes later found that I could have paid $205 less.

All part of the master plan I bet.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U View Post
                    I wonder are we now going to see a series of limited availability special offers to ensure that the target is reached on time?

Ubuntu Edge Prices Lowered, Devices Available from $625

Prices lowered to $625, $675 and $725. I'd be annoyed if I had just contributed $830 and minutes later found that I could have paid $205 less.

All part of the master plan I bet.
                    That would really piss me off too. I wonder how low they are willing to go.

Comment

"Pledges"? Sheesh. How about a CD boxed set and a tote bag?

The commenters on that OMG! article express euphoria after sending their money. Ridiculous.

Comment

I think I might actually want one.

Is that wrong?

Please Read Me

Comment

I dont know if I believe these numbers. I just added up the donation totals from each category and got $823,320, which is over $3.5 million short of what they say they have earned. There are some undisclosed donations, but not enough to account for $3.5 million. I have a feeling Canonical has been making large undisclosed donations to create hype and unwarranted hysteria.

Comment

I dont know if I believe these numbers. I just added up the donation totals from each category and got $823,320, which is over $3.5 million short of what they say they have earned. There are some undisclosed donations, but not enough to account for $3.5 million. I have a feeling Canonical has been making large undisclosed donations to create hype and unwarranted hysteria.
                            Don't forget that the counter for the $830 donations was reset to zero. They are definitely playing games of one sort or another.

Edit: The $830 donations may have been switched to a lower level but not included in any of the current pledge totals. That doesn't help making the sums add up though.
                            Last edited by Guest; Jul 24, 2013, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              I think I might actually want one.

Is that wrong?
                              If minimal market share, few apps, and no hope of taking a bite out of Android and iThing, then you can already choose one now

Technologically and aesthetically, Edge may very well beat everyone. But being so late in the game, I find myself wondering if continued investment is really the wisest use of Canonical's limited funds? If Microsoft can barely make dent into their own vast, loyal customer base, what hope does Canonical have of selling anymore than a few thousand of these things?

Comment

Working...
                              X