This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remapping a USB remote control

So I bought this remote control at the computer shop today. It has a USB receiver and a remote. It works out of the box, but about half the buttons dont do what they should. I want to remap these buttons, but have no idea how to do this. Ive been playing around with LIRC but cant get it to work with a USB HID device. Any idea on how I can accomplish this?

I would first try xev and see if any of the key presses are captured by X.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
      I would first try xev and see if any of the key presses are captured by X.
      About half of them are. Is there anyway I can get the others recognized?

Comment

Afraid I don't know what to do when they are not recognised .. but at least you know the problem is with X or lower, my guess would be a kernel driver is needed to pick up the extra keys, but that is just a guess.

Comment

Hmmm...dont think a driver exists for this. Theres no actual brand name either which makes looking for info on the internet much harder....

Comment

I haven't had to mess with this for years so I may leave something out. Basically, install and run xev to discover which keys are being read and which are not. The "dead" keys should log something to this is the syslog (I think)
            Code:
            atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x9e on isa0060/serio0).
            atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e01e <keycode>' to make it known.
            Then you use setkeycodes to assign code to the keys and then xmodmap to assign functions to the keycodes.Way back I had a keyboard that was waaay off brand and it had several multimedia keys that appeared dead. Once I figured this out, I was able to make them work. Sorry I can't be more detailed, it's been many years since I had to do this.Another good source for this stuff is the mythtv forums. They do a lot of remote programming over there.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks oshunluvr. Youve pointed me in the right direction I think. Ill play around with it and report back soon.

Comment

Problem solved I think. It was a lot easier than I thought. I simply went into System Settings > Shortcuts and Gestures and set the shortcuts by grabbing the input from the remote. Havent tested it out fully yet, but it seems to be working fine.

Comment

Sweet - love the easy ones. Now help me figure out how to stop "Safely Remove" from killing my SD card reader!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Sweet - love the easy ones. Now help me figure out how to stop "Safely Remove" from killing my SD card reader!
                    Cant help you with that one unfortunately

Getting closer with this remote control. Ive got everything working except five buttons, all of which cause x to crash and the system to shutdown. Im not quite sure what these buttons are doing because every time I press them the system breaks. Is there anyway to capture their actions with the actions actually working? I already tried xev...

Comment

You might be able to do something with easystroke. It's incredibly powerful and I use it for multi-button mice and other special things.

Comment

Have you tried setting the keys to another function? If you go into keymapping via the System Settings, pick saome random function and try to assign one of the "bad" keys to it.

Describe the crash? Is X killed or actually crashing? Could it be an immediate shutdown rather than a crash?

Please Read Me

Comment

I want to set the keys to another function but I cant capture the key so I dont know which key it is. Ill check my logs when I get home tonight to try to further analyze this issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X